Valvoline Modern Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it in my 18 Focus, seems to like it, no noises or anything unusual. Got it real cheap with rebate offer, not sure I would pay full retail price for it though. I imagine other oils that are way cheaper would do reasonably well in a new car.

Both Modern Engine and Advanced Synthetic are Dexos 1G2 certified and SN+. Basic UOA's show Advanced Synthetic as having a traditionally more "robust" add-pack (Ti, Mo, Bo), where as Modern Engine does not have Ti, and is thinner in the 5w-30 examples i saw.

There has to be more going on here in base oils and stuff we can't see with a typical UOA?

The marketing on this is very strange. We are in this Stupid dead zone while we wait for GF-6. Is Modern Engine an extended drain oil? It seems thinner, but maybe base oils are much improved so it shears less? What about fuel dilution? "Modern Engine" means GDI and TGDI, so fuel dilution is a huge issue.

Technically, both AS and ME meet spec for most non-european TGDI and GDI engines, so what gives?

Overall true... There is a bit of difference between Napa and Valvoline. However they both meet the same specs which is all that ultimately matters of course. The full synthetic Napa high mileage is on sale for $19.99 a decent deal.

My point is HOW does it do that. And what makes it different than the advanced synthetic version? Does that blend not clean well? Better? Less than 30% better?

It would be nice to hear something other than "it's specially formulated to do x." Even just some "we've made changes to y."

What they are saying is that Dexos 1g2 and SN plus certs mean little and undercutting their own advanced synthetic label.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back