Amsoil bypass filter flow vs pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched for this data here and Google, but no where can I find it.

Amsoil bypass filter (the filter itself, not the bypass "system") flow vs diff pressure data.

I've seen several graphs for other filters that show how many GPM the filter will flow vs the differential pressure across it.

Example: How much flow can the bp100 filter pass with a 2, 5, or 10 PSI differential?

As for why?
Could a bp100 or 110 filter be the primary/only oil filter if the oil flow rate is ~1 GPM with a drop of only 2-3 PSI?

Thanks, all.

That would have to be a pretty small engine to only need 1 gpm

BY DESIGN - a "bypass oil filter" is supposed to get plugged as it is used.

BEST BET is to just use a very advanced filter deign - Like a Fram Ultra, Donaldson Synteq, or Royal Purple filter

The bypass filter will only filter about 10% of the flow. It takes about an hour or so to filter a 5 qt system.

A full flow filter will generally filter to 20 micron. A bypass filter will filter to 2 micron or so.

Right, 2 micron.
The whole, bleeding off pressure/volume thing always bothered me.
From the oil line coming out of the engine go straight into the bp110. Plumb a "relief valve" Tee'd in before the bp110 that would relieve at 3-5psi differential (for example). The bp110 would always see 5psi input/output differential, and any pressure above that would be bled off to the full-flow filter. Flow from both filters are then joined to go back into the motor.
Or go into the full flow filter first, then into the bp110 with the same 3-5psi bypass around it.

So at low oil volume/pressure, a greater percentage goes through the bypass filter.

Just thinking thoughts

Last edited:
I don't understand what application you'd have that would have such a low volumetric flow, exhibit a small dP, and yet need such fine filtration.
Can you elaborate?

Last edited:
The flow will stay close to the same but first the bypass valve will open then the oil pump relief valve, at some rpms over idle or even at idle depending on factors. You could put an oil pressure gauge in front of the filter to watch it. Engine full flow filters are designed for the oil pumps in the application guides. It could be a small oil pump like on a motorcycle or OPE could use a filter like you say. I don't know why it would be worth the trouble to try such things.

Sorry. I'm not getting reply notifications. I'll figure it out.

I was thinking about a transmission oil filter inline with the cooler.

I know I said engine before, but I wanted more feedback before the "you're crazy" posts started :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimmyM

I was thinking about a transmission oil filter inline with the cooler.

You can do what I did, and use a standard "generic" log splitter type oil filter housing for the transmission cooler line.

I'm running a Baldwin BT839-10
It will flow 20+ GPM, so I only need that one filter - it will last the life of the truck (400,000+ miles?)

Oil viscosity is going to be your problem. Cold oil does not flow through the filter at nearly the rate of oil at operating temps. The same is true for tranny fluid. You need some sort of bypass or pressure relief valve to accommodate cold starts regardless of the filter's flow rate at operating temps.

The 6R80 has a built in thermal bypass at 170 or 175F (I forget which). So cold fluid shouldn't be a concern. I was really just musing. I'll probably just use a Fram XG8A or XG16.

The specs of the Wix filter for the Ford 6.7L diesel engine are, IMO, excellent for a full flow filter;
2/20/75=3/12/17 ...
And this is a filter with a bypass, and 1-16 thread so finding a base to fit it should be reasonably easy.

Who needs a BP filter element when this thing is full-flow and 50% at 3um?!?!?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3

And this is a filter with a bypass, and 1-16 thread so finding a base to fit it should be reasonably easy.

Not really.
1 -12 and 1- 14 are easy to find, 1- 16 not so much.

You could run the 1-12 donaldson filter Im using for a bypass. P564967 would last a lifetime in a transmissin role.

Donaldson filter curve.PNG

I looked up the Wix equvilant of that Donaldson P564967; Wix A02A03G9.

The Wix is beta 200/3; (99.5%) at 3um, with a full flow rating of 27gpm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back