Interesting observation Hyundai Tuscon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 2007 Audi A6 for the Takata aibag recall. The loaner vehicle is a new Hyundai Tuscon. What is interesting is that while this car is brand new, my 11 year old A6 with 232k miles on it is still more comfortable and more pleasant to drive.

But the Tuscon is roomier.

hi alfred_b, was the hyundai tucson the new 2019? i understand that the autotrans and engine are different from the 2018. how was it driving?

Hyundais, for the most part, are appliance vehicles and ride & handle as such.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
What is interesting is that while this car is brand new, my 11 year old A6 with 232k miles on it is still more comfortable and more pleasant to drive.
Why is that interesting or surprising? One is a luxury vehicle, and the other one isn't, regardless of their age.

BTW, it's spelled Tucson, like the town in Arizona.
smile.gif

@QP I had started to think that my car had deteriorated over the years but was surprised how much the pedigree still matters despite the age and miles.

Originally Posted by jstert
hi alfred_b, was the hyundai tucson the new 2019? i understand that the autotrans and engine are different from the 2018. how was it driving?

Not sure what year it is. It drives well and reminded me of my 2003 Civic. It's very well put together, no rattles or squeaks when driving on our potholed roads.

@QP I had started to think that my car had deteriorated over the years but was surprised how much the pedigree still matters despite the age and miles.

thumbsup2.gif

Have you owned it since new?

I reckon my 2010 Tucson is comfortable enough,I have driven it on long trips Lincoln to LA about 3 times in the last 4-5 years .I do use a a memory foam seat cushion on longer trips, but overall I find my Tucson a fine vehicle.The only thing is that the AWD is a bit slower to respond than the AWD on our Forester in deep snow.

My 2013 Maxima rides like a cloud compared to my wife's 2017 Rogue. The Rogue is bouncy, far noisier, less smooth over bumps...and my wife loves it.

Audi A6 2019 MSRP $58,900
Hyundai Tucson 2019 MSRP $23,200

The two cannot even be remotely compared.

I took my 2007 Audi A6 for the Takata aibag recall. The loaner vehicle is a new Hyundai Tuscon. What is interesting is that while this car is brand new, my 11 year old A6 with 232k miles on it is still more comfortable and more pleasant to drive.

There is probably a big difference in your Audi-compared to a new one. Just sayin.......

Originally Posted by walterjay

You gotta say that any comparisons between a modern economy CUV/SUV and a Germanic sport/luxury sedan are untenable to begin with independent of cost differences. In this thread, pedigree can probably be considered synonymous with preference. I don't doubt that many here would find the original post "snark bait" so I'll just say I'm happy that he likes his Audi and it's served him well. However, it does make me want to take a test drive to see if the rumors are true that the Mitsubishi Mirage comes close to replicating the driving experience of a QX50.

Originally Posted by walterjay

that's why I was comparing it not with new but a 11 year old car. It was a good car for the price, felt very well put together. It would be a strong candidate if I were looking for that category.

But I would rather spend the $23k on a used Audi or Mercedes than a new Tucson.

Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
The observation here is preference vs. an actual comparison...got it.

Yes, the original post was quite clear that it was about comfort and pleasure of the drive. There were no technical comparisons which would be idiotic.

Well, I think you could accurately say it was inferred pending clarification versus quite clear but this being BITOG, you're sometimes never sure where people are coming from..LOL.

It is hard for people to understand that who never owned German vehicles. Put comfort on a side.
My VW Tiguan feels like a tank compared to Toyota a got, and my BMW X5 I traded in for Toyota felt like a tank compared to Tiguan.
Not to mention that BMW with 110k did not have one single indication of wear on steering wheel, leather surfaces, dashboard etc. I got Toyota with 41k, and steering wheel is already showing wear, leather surfaces are kind of wrinkly, and built quality compared to VW and especially BMW is non existent. It is like riding in beer can. And this is Limited edition that was $46K brand new. While BMW was $70k new, Tiguan was I think (I got it used) $32K new, and still looks like brand new car with 75k miles.

Originally Posted by edyvw

It is hard for people to understand that who never owned German vehicles. Put comfort on a side.
My VW Tiguan feels like a tank compared to Toyota a got, and my BMW X5 I traded in for Toyota felt like a tank compared to Tiguan.
Not to mention that BMW with 110k did not have one single indication of wear on steering wheel, leather surfaces, dashboard etc. I got Toyota with 41k, and steering wheel is already showing wear, leather surfaces are kind of wrinkly, and built quality compared to VW and especially BMW is non existent. It is like riding in beer can. And this is Limited edition that was $46K brand new. While BMW was $70k new, Tiguan was I think (I got it used) $32K new, and still looks like brand new car with 75k miles.

We've had four Benzes and a pair of BMWs thus far and while they were all well-made and solid cars, their superiority to other cars is not what it was twenty years ago. Any number of modern Japanese brand cars have solid structure and unflappable road manners.
A modern BMW or Mercedes is as much about the badge and the name as it is about any actual superiority in the diving experience.
If anyone wants to try a BMW, Audi, Mercedes or even some Porsche models, they're available cheap enough used, as has long been the case.

Originally Posted by edyvw
t is hard for people to understand that who never owned German vehicles. Put comfort on a side.

Interesting numbers that you report there. Carmax has a 2015 BMW X5 with 27k miles for only $33k. Which is probably what you paid for your 2015 Sienna with more miles on it. So the X5 depreciates faster than an empty can of beer. Which is quite odd since the SUV market is so hot right now. Plus Carmax is usually very high on their prices so a nice one can probably be found for under 30k which is new Tiguan territory.

https://www.carmax.com/car/16631568

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back