Do Your Kids Live With Grandparents ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your kids live with there Grandparents ? I think I see a growing trend here. There's a number of kids I know in there 20's and 30's that are living with there Grandparents and am told there taking care of them. Really....I'm not buying it. Thoughts.

Wait... grown grand-children living with grandparents? But not mom and dad? News to me...

Then again, I'm 30 and my last two living grandparents (the last of which I lost last year) were in their late 80's - early 90's. I don't see that working... what with the nursing homes and all.

I'm with you, seems strange.

Nope. My wife and I raise our 2 kids. I work, she stays home with them... bought the house when I was 20, 1st kid was born later that year. 1.5 years later came our 2nd born who is a no limits super soldier who likes to throw things. Hoping he likes baseball becuse he's got a wicked arm.

This could be a good thing.

I didn't live with my grandparents, but I visited them every single day. Their health was very poor and everyday after a morning at college for several years I spent time with them and helped them as much as I could. My grandmother passed away a year ago and my dog and moved back down here from Oregon afterwards to move in and help with my grandfather. I still go over on the weekends.

If my dad didn't move down last hear I would have moved in with my grandpa in a heartbeat. His physical mobility isn't good and he'd be really lonely. He also isn't driving anymore.

Family first, always.

My one cousin did this during her summers from college. Went to help my grandparents with stuff in their home.

It was mutually beneficial. But also temporary.

I wish. My 2-1/2 year-old has outstayed his welcome. He keeps telling me that he doesn't like vegetables and I keep telling him to get a job and buy his own food!

I think a culture where care of the elderly by family members is considered abnormal, is an abnormal culture. Grandchildren of all ages living with grandparents is pretty normal here.

Grandparents, no

Parents, partly

Has anyone looked at the rent these days?

It seems like it solves 2 problems

Older people get consistent checkups and attention, and younger people have somewhere to live

Sounds a little unorthodox, but fundamentally reasonable

3 nights a week in summer my 3 kids(age4,11,13) spend night at grandmothers oceanfront home. Their 6 other cousins come and she takes care of them along with a childless great-aunt and older retired male 2nd cousin. Amazing experience for them all.

My wife wife and I so enjoy the time!!!!!

The neighbors of my parents (who I've known since I was 4) have a granddaughter and her husband living with them, supposedly to help out. Over the Holidays while at my parents place, I went over and shoveled the driveway and walkway of the neighbors. The wife came out, and we talked for a bit. She said that she was taking care of her husband. It was sort of left unsaid that the granddaughter and her husband really weren't doing what had been expected of them when they moved in. That was obvious from the uncleared snow.

It would seem they've acquired two newly married early 20's children to take care of, in their mid 80's.

I am highly skeptical of this type of arrangement most of the time that I hear about it. I've been reading and seeing for the past 3-4 years, more and more adult kids moving back in with their parents to "save money for a downpayment". Most of the time, the kids have ended up with low-paying jobs, not saving, and not helping out. End result is family tension and family drama.

Grandparents need to be very clear about the rules and expectations and the arrangement should really be put into writing so that if the kids do not hold up to their end, they can be evicted pronto!

I have a step son that lives with my parents. My parents live 45 minutes closer to the university that he works at and attends classes. He works grave yard and attends morning classes before he goes to his room to sleep. They rarely see or hear him in the house.

multigenerational shared accommodation has been the vast majority of human existence.

No child care, no aged care. The kids learned about their family and values, the elderly felt that they had a place.

For a very brief period in the human story, "moving to where the work is" allowed a single decent job to buy and run a household, but that evaporated quickly to two incomes, kids in daycare, and the elderly parked into (expensive) aged care facilities.

It's all part of the plan

I have seen situations where a daughter cannot get along with her mom and they allow her to move in with the grandparents. Then she stays with them until she gets married and moves out. Also, if there are circumstances where the parents are financially constrained. I've also seen plenty of college kids stay with the grandparents if they happen to live in a town with a college and the parents do not. This sometimes extends to a few years after college.

It's a workable deal, but only while the grandparents can take care of themselves IMHO.

This is happening in my wife's family right now, single dad and his baby live with his folks and a widowed mom lives in another property they own in town with her two kids.
Haven't been in their neck of the woods for quite a while, but I don't get the feeling it's going too well.

Pretty common for a whole host of reasons. There's no great trend to be discovered here. The ugly one though is way up, court ordered . You can thank your neighborhood dope dealers for that one. Pain management Doctors too. You can thank them for much of it since the 90s . That's the ugly one that's been going on under the blanket for years. It's all part of the now well known Opioid Epedimic.
Lots of kids living with grand parents because of that. We just met another one yesterday working at Walmart. She had 4 young grand kids and her two oldest AND worked. Somehow they manage.

I remember when I was growing up there were a lot of kids living with their grandparents. I'm in my 30s now. I assume a lot of them never moved out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back