Idemitsu 0w20 w/ MOLY - 5,495mi - 2014 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by Artem
Who knows. I've only run the high moly Mazda / Idemitsu oil a few times. It's expensive from Mazda and I have no problem running "regular" synthetic in my Skyactiv.

Well, your average SN rated oil has as much calcium as this does. From what I've seen in Valvoline, with it's Na/Ca add packs (which should be the worst for LSPI), there are no issues in the NA Skyactivs either. It's a high compression engine, sure, but it does not seem like LSPI is an issue for it at all.

Valvoline dropped the sodium calcium additive package over a year ago.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Who knows. I've only run the high moly Mazda / Idemitsu oil a few times. It's expensive from Mazda and I have no problem running "regular" synthetic in my Skyactiv.

Well, your average SN rated oil has as much calcium as this does. From what I've seen in Valvoline, with it's Na/Ca add packs (which should be the worst for LSPI), there are no issues in the NA Skyactivs either. It's a high compression engine, sure, but it does not seem like LSPI is an issue for it at all.

And Skyactivs have been on the market much longer than that, with lots of them being fed the old SN oil grade (which Mazda still recommends, and which it's dealers still use as OEM) for hundreds of thousands of miles and nary a problem.

I haven't heard of a single issue with LSPI in any N/A Mazda engine, despite their high compression. If Mazda thought it was an issue, they would have never specced the oil in the first place, and would have updated the spec by now. They have not.

Last edited:

And Skyactivs have been on the market much longer than that, with lots of them being fed the old SN oil grade (which Mazda still recommends, and which it's dealers still use as OEM) for hundreds of thousands of miles and nary a problem.

I haven't heard of a single issue with LSPI in any N/A Mazda engine, despite their high compression. If Mazda thought it was an issue, they would have never specced the oil in the first place, and would have updated the spec by now. They have not.

True but the engines have gone through CQI over the model years. I think it's prudent to run the latest spec even if LSPI is not a issue in these engines. It really depends on how the particular vehicle is driven.

Valvoline dropped sodium and went back to a moly/boron package along with titanium.

True but the engines have gone through CQI over the model years. I think it's prudent to run the latest spec even if LSPI is not a issue in these engines. It really depends on how the particular vehicle is driven.

Valvoline dropped sodium and went back to a moly/boron package along with titanium.

Well, it's not going to be much longer now until just about every mainstream oil is SN+ rated anyway, so the point is probably moot. There won't be a choice. I'm sure it will work fine, though, even if Mazda doesn't worry about LSPI in these engines.

Last edited:
They are almost there now.

I'm planning on changing my oil here in a few months and this Idemitsu Zepro is the first choice at the moment. It will do fine in my SkyActiv 2.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back