Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30 and SN rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this on the shelf yesterday at WalMart. It claims to have an SN rating per the API donut (no ILSAC star)

Is there any reason other than cost to not run this in a gas engine calling for SN rated oil if you aren't using an extended drain ?

It's high HT/HS oil, which is why it is not resource conserving. You may or may not notice some slight hit in fuel economy if you are used to running RC oil.

I think that this is a low SAPS oil (hence the L) like M1 5W30 ESP and will probably have a low starting TBN, but that's not a concern if you don't have extended drain mileages in mind (as the OP mentioned). I did notice higher oil temps (keep that monitor up on my multipurpose screen) and maybe a little bit worse mileage with that ESP, just a consequence of the higher 100C and HTHS viscosities.

I may grab some and give it a try in the Subaru next time around, I'll report back if I do.

While it might be OK to use, I wouldn't bother when there's better oils out there for gas engines. This is basically for diesels engines which works ok with gas engines. If you got some on sale or had some left over, then it'd be ok to use, but why go out of your way to buy it when there's better?

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
If you got some on sale or had some left over, then it'd be ok to use, but why go out of your way to buy it when there's better?

Agreed.

What car? What driving conditions?
smile.gif

FWIW, the PP Euro L is dexos2, which is used on the Cruze diesel in the US, and all of GM's European-market cars (both diesel and gas/petrol)

I was only speculating. If I was to run it it would go in my N/A Subaru which sees trips of about 20 miles to and from work on weekdays. There are a couple longer and shorter runs, but mostly daily driven the 20.

I have been running regular PP 5w30 or Castrol Edge in it for 5000ish changes.
I agree, cost wise, there are better looking options.

Their are two common Euro oils, the ACEA C3 and ACEA A3/B4, both are PCMOs (gas engines) with a HTHS above 3.5 cP and a Noack below 13%. The C3 is also used in light duty diesels with DPF, while the A3/B4 is for light duty diesels without DPF.

A3/B4 requires a TBN above 10 and a Sulphated Ash between 1.0 and 1.6 %

C3 requires a TBN above 6 and a Sulphated Ash below 0.8 %

So A3/B4 is the high SAPS version of the oil, while C3 is the mid-SAPS version of the oil. It's possible for both versions to also carry API SN, but some A3/B4 oils carry extra ZDDP so for a 30 grade this pushes them over the Phos limit and so they have to be classed as SL (even though they are SN in quality).

For low sulphur fuel and reasonable oil change intervals (OCI), their usage overlaps, but for long OCI in a gas engine I would only use A3/B4. But I would have no problem using C3 to 6k miles.

BTW the low-SAPS version is C4.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
Is there any reason other than cost to not run this in a gas engine calling for SN rated oil if you aren't using an extended drain ?

Not at all. Looking at your Subaru application, it's probably much like my G37, with very conservative OCIs. They are not "diesel" oils, either.

Originally Posted By: ACEA_2016
Stable, stay in grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPa s.

Cost wise per mile, you can do much better, because of more affordable container size and longer OCIs, but the lube is certainly suitable. If you want elevated HTHS without going higher on the phosphorus and keep the price in order, an E6 5w-30 HDEO would do the trick, too. Shell has one, and with a starting TBN of 11.0, it certainly will be extended drain capable.

PP Euro L is sold globally as Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 or Shell Helix Ultra AG. All meet GM DEXOS2 spec. Been using them exclusively in my Saab 9-5 for the last 2 years. Saab/GM initially spec'd GM-LL-A-025 Euro, so DEXOS2 is the logical extension.

On the sludge prone Saab, it's done alot of cleaning, improved fuel economy and reduced oil burn (I'm serious, but much care and attention has been taken by me.)

It's a great product and can be used in place of DEXOS1 oils if you want the added protection of higher HTHS.

Regards
Jordan

This went into the SFS today. May go into the Sportage too. Dexos2 oils seem to carry high praise where GDI applications are concerned.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I sent an email to Pennzoil asking the Sulfated Ash level of this oil and they told me it's 0.85%. I had also asked for NOACK but they ignored that question unfortunately (not many oil companies seem to be releasing that info lately though so I'm not surprised)

Originally Posted by wemay
This went into the SFS today. May go into the Sportage too. Dexos2 oils seem to carry high praise where GDI applications are concerned.

Have a good run with it, wemay!
I know that wemay is aware of this, but thought I would mention for the board in general that the dexos2 standard includes an LSPI mitigation test just like dexos1 Gen 2. This was because GM wanted to recommend d2 oils for gas applications in Europe, so they needed coverage for the DIT models...they got burned pretty bad by LSPI with the Malibu 1.5l DIT in the US.
Still don't see any d2 oils at my local WMs and I'm pretty sure I checked O'Reilly a while ago with no luck...

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by wemay

Have a good run with it, wemay!
I know that wemay is aware of this, but thought I would mention for the board in general that the dexos2 standard includes an LSPI mitigation test just like dexos1 Gen 2. This was because GM wanted to recommend d2 oils for gas applications in Europe, so they needed coverage for the DIT models...they got burned pretty bad by LSPI with the Malibu 1.5l DIT in the US.
Still don't see any d2 oils at my local WMs and I'm pretty sure I checked O'Reilly a while ago with no luck...

Thanks Virtus'
Yeah, the availability is spotty here too. It depends which Walmart you visit. This was found at the one near my office when i'm not working from home. The one near the house doesn't sell it anymore.
Yes, the scenario you layout regarding dexos2 is what i remember as well. They didn't want the DIT public left out in the cold across the pond.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Just to clarify, Dexos2 does NOT contain the LSPI test that is included in the D1g2 certification. It will be included in the future "gen2" Dexos2 certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back