Gear oil again

The local oil company has their own brand of oil they sell, proguard, I find little information about it. Their sales guy has been offering it to me, because it's house brand of course, but whenever I read any data sheets a lot of the areas for testing says "data not available." I don't see that on a big name oil, Chevron, citgo, and so on. Price comparison it is cheaper, but again, I find limited info about it. I am using their ep2 complex grease, I've only greased once with it, so can't speak of wear, it was half or better of the cost of my Chevron ep2. And if I don't like it, I'll give it to the neighbor for fifth wheel grease.

Little price point on the gear oils.

He's quoted me citgo 75w90 at 450.00 for 120lb keg
And 565.00 for a 120 kegnof mystik sx7000 75w90
And I believe Chevron is over 600 for the 75w90
I'll update with the cost of the 75w90 proguard, he didn't have it when I talked to him.

Is it normal for a lot of test data not to be displayed? Also, how do I find additives and other information on oils?

Here is a link to all their house products, Lyden oil is the dealer.

http://www.proguardoil.com/proguard/Safety.aspx

Is there an article or link on here I can read up on for the breakdown of the sds? I can compare numbers to other brands, but I'd like to know what I'm comparing.

As a customer (not a shop owner), given that you only use a few QTs of gear oil and do not change it very often I would always prefer to have the mechanic use a high quality gear oil.

For gear oil , in particular industrial gear oil, grade in KV @40*C is the thing to look for ...... other than OEM approvals, if it matters.

Originally Posted by zeng
For gear oil , in particular industrial gear oil, grade in KV @40*C is the thing to look for ...... other than OEM approvals, if it matters.

Originally Posted by Donald
As a customer (not a shop owner), given that you only use a few QTs of gear oil and do not change it very often I would always prefer to have the mechanic use a high quality gear oil.

I change every 250k, each rear end takes about 4 gallons and the transmission takes about 4-5 gallons.

Has all eaton drivetrain, older ds402 rears and original 15 speed 1.7 million on the trans. 250k on the rears

20181219_170949.jpg

Originally Posted by thejudges69
Has all eaton drivetrain,....................

Other than higher KV @40C, look for SAE J2360, PRF 2105E compliance and OEM approvals in Eaton/Dana/Mack/Meritor etc.

Other than higher KV @40C, look for SAE J2360, PRF 2105E compliance and OEM approvals in Eaton/Dana/Mack/Meritor etc.

This is late 80's early 90's technology. Do those compliance ratings still apply?

And if I don't like it, I'll give it to the neighbor for fifth wheel grease

I would ask your neighbour trucker what works out in his truck(s)... .and would use that instead
smile.gif

Put the Chevron in and forget about it for 500,000 miles. For the transmission...you should be using a 50 weight manual transmission oil. Both have been the recommended fluids/change intervals for a long time now and both will deliver excellent results and a touch better fuel economy. You don't need to overthink it and saving money on lubes (especially grease) in my fleet experience....never pays. Quality+extended drains = lower cpm.

More importantly......Sweet Ride!!!

Has all eaton drivetrain, older ds402 rears and original 15 speed 1.7 million on the trans.

That's outstanding!

The last time I did regular maintenance on Eaton and Rockwell rear-ends, I was using a Schaeffer's product.

Originally Posted by Donald

I change every 250k, each rear end takes about 4 gallons and the transmission takes about 4-5 gallons.

Sounds spendy if the store brand oil causes problems.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
And if I don't like it, I'll give it to the neighbor for fifth wheel grease

I would ask your neighbour trucker what works out in his truck(s)... .and would use that instead
smile.gif

They use a mystik grease that's real sticky he said. We work in 2 completely different areas of trucking. They are in the grain industry and they use a thick sticky grease to keep grain dust out. I don't get into those environments.

Originally Posted by PiperOne
Put the Chevron in and forget about it for 500,000 miles. For the transmission...you should be using a 50 weight manual transmission oil. Both have been the recommended fluids/change intervals for a long time now and both will deliver excellent results and a touch better fuel economy. You don't need to overthink it and saving money on lubes (especially grease) in my fleet experience....never pays. Quality+extended drains = lower cpm.

More importantly......Sweet Ride!!!

50w maybe approved for newer transmissions, but I've never heard or read it's approved for older equipment. I used to run straight 80w90, switched to Chevron esi, now considering full synthetic. As for fuel economy, I never worry about that. But thanks.

This is late 80's early 90's technology. Do those compliance ratings still apply?

Short answer: Yes.
Does the Eaton requires it, maybe not.

Is there an article or link on here I can read up on for the breakdown of the sds? I can compare numbers to other brands, but I'd like to know what I'm comparing.

You're looking for technical or performance data sheet (TDS or PDS), not the Safety data sheet (SDS or MSDS). That was my point. You were just looking at the wrong link
smile.gif

SDS can sometimes be marginally useful to see if there's a certain component in the product, but you're not going to make huge strides learning about a product from the SDS. Go for the TDS instead as then you can generally compare against common tests.

To revive my old thread. I didn't change my gear oil when I started this thread, I did some math and averages and figured I had another year or so on my lube. But being that this pandemic has our work slowed, I'm going to refresh my gear boxes.

It's upsetting cause my dealer told me ESI was a 250k mile oil, and I find on here and online it's a 5-750k oil. I don't have my exact numbers for how many miles on this oil, but I should be between 4&500k, so I think I'm going to drop and fill and keep better records.

So, I'm still looking at the ESI for replacement, but a local distributor is offering me a Phillips 66/Kendall gear oil that they are claiming is equivalent to the ESI at a cheaper cost. Chevron, when I spoke to them said their ESI has a very specific additive package that's unmatched for wear and performance. Thoughts on that? As mentioned in the prior posts, I'm wanting to stay high mileage oil, synthetic or synthetic blend.

Back