What to Do With a Dead Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my thoughts - get a good used tranny probably the cheapest way to go or sell the car to a local auto salvage...just drove by my local u pull it yard and they are paying $8.50 a hundred for cars they come get the car , no charge , then pay you after they weigh it

We've actually got a couple of early Escapes in my family. My advice, with that many miles, is to get rid of it. Perhaps pull the ECM and the radio and sell them separately.
HOWEVER, if you do put a new/different tranny in it, replace the alternator in it while you have it apart. Nothing will burn the customer's chaps more than needing a new alternator a month after a tranny replacement and shelling out another $850 just to have a new alternator put in. And alternator R/R can be somewhat labor intensive on an early V6 Escape. Replace the front flexible brake lines also. Chances are, they are shot.

If you don't need the cash, you can donate to Kidney Foundation, public radio station, veterans groups, etc. Those agencies will usually come haul it away for you.

I looked up used transmissions running around $850. If I were close to you I would come get it, pay her $500 and replace the trans myself and resell it. I have done this several times and makes me extra cash. With that - find a used trans and somebody to install it. Maybe you can come in around $1500-1800 and still have enough equity for her to sell or trade at full value.

Originally Posted by Audios
Kars for Kids sends the money back to Israel, support a donation company that keeps it in the US

I wouldn't give them my car just due to that obnoxious commercial!

I would tell her to steer clear of the same vehicle that just crapped out on her. I'm surprised the transmission lasted that long. I could recommend some more reliable vehicles, but that would likely become an argument among the brand fan boys.

Find a serviceable transmission on eBay and have it installed locally, flush the cooler really well. Go on your way.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
If it has the CD4E transmission, then I am both surprised it lasted that long, as well as surprised an indy would want within $1000 to rebuild it. Need to shop around. In these parts that rebuild would get done for less than $2000.

I think both estimates (dealer and independant shop) were for installing a new/re-manufactured transmission, not a rebuild. Not sure which transmission the 2005 Escape with the V6 has.

Originally Posted by Kruse
We've actually got a couple of early Escapes in my family. My advice, with that many miles, is to get rid of it. Perhaps pull the ECM and the radio and sell them separately.
HOWEVER, if you do put a new/different tranny in it, replace the alternator in it while you have it apart. Nothing will burn the customer's chaps more than needing a new alternator a month after a tranny replacement and shelling out another $850 just to have a new alternator put in. And alternator R/R can be somewhat labor intensive on an early V6 Escape. Replace the front flexible brake lines also. Chances are, they are shot.

She got stranded on the side of the road a year or so ago because the alternator went out. And yes, it was an expensive fix as you say - it's a labor intensive job to replace the alternator.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I would tell her to steer clear of the same vehicle that just crapped out on her. I'm surprised the transmission lasted that long. I could recommend some more reliable vehicles, but that would likely become an argument among the brand fan boys.

She's looking at a 2013 Escape at the same dealer that only has 44K miles, a local one owner vehicle. I looked at it yesterday and it's in really nice condition. Titanium model, so pretty much fully loaded. The newer Escapes have the CVT transmission (the 2005 didn't have CVT), and of course some of the CVT transmissions had issues. But of course it's usually the "luck of the draw" on stuff like that. Fords seem to be hit or miss on reliability, just like most car brands.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I looked up used transmissions running around $850. If I were close to you I would come get it, pay her $500 and replace the trans myself and resell it. I have done this several times and makes me extra cash. With that - find a used trans and somebody to install it. Maybe you can come in around $1500-1800 and still have enough equity for her to sell or trade at full value.

Yeah, the vehicle is in pretty good over alll. Body and paint is good, no rust (PNW vehicle), no accidents. Someone could have a nice ride if they wanted to buy it cheap and put a transmission in it.

That would actually be my suggestion - Put it on CL "as is" and see if you get any bites. There are plenty of people out there with the right equipment, looking to make a few bucks on a flip.

Around here I was able to find places that would drop in a used transmission in the $700-$1000 range. Call around. Those transmission shops and the dealer are the most expensive places. Maybe around 2k would do it. Also find someone with AAA plus, 100 miles of free towing. Regular AAA only gets you 3 miles. They won't let you just sign up for AAA plus though.

Tranny started to go out in the wife's old Cavalier, threw some TransX in it and doctored it so it would fail it's smog check, and the state gave us $1,000 for it.

I do get a charge out of reading posts on the various BITOG topics that go along the lines of "maintain your vehicle and it will last forever" along with the implication that folks that do not do this are not of sound mind and possibly a danger to society.

Maintaining by keeping on top of fluids, tires, filters, plugs, wires, etc. is one thing that many folks do pay attention to. However, what the OP has here is not maintenance, it is replacement of failed parts to the tune of thousands on an older car. If this was the end of expensive repairs it would be one thing, but it is entirely possible that there will be many thousands more needed over the next few years. Lots of us have been there and done that and if finances permit we send the old car off to wherever old cars go.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Audios
Kars for Kids sends the money back to Israel, support a donation company that keeps it in the US

I wouldn't give them my car just due to that obnoxious commercial!

Not sure about Israel, but I remember reading a lawsuit that they were sending it only to a certain religious school (not mentioning it just to avoid politics), but yeah, not really for "every" kids. With all the ads Kars 4 Kids play on the radio, I bet nothing is left after the expenses.

Originally Posted by Anduril
Tranny started to go out in the wife's old Cavalier, threw some TransX in it and doctored it so it would fail it's smog check, and the state gave us $1,000 for it.

OP is in PNW, I don't think they are buying back for emission like CA do.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

She's looking at a 2013 Escape at the same dealer that only has 44K miles, a local one owner vehicle. I looked at it yesterday and it's in really nice condition. Titanium model, so pretty much fully loaded. The newer Escapes have the CVT transmission (the 2005 didn't have CVT), and of course some of the CVT transmissions had issues. But of course it's usually the "luck of the draw" on stuff like that. Fords seem to be hit or miss on reliability, just like most car brands.

When I was looking at 2017 Escapes, they did not have CVT trans. I was of the firm belief that I wanted to avoid a CVT at all costs, as I do not feel they hold up long-term. I looked at Rav4, CRV, some Chevys, and one of the big differences on the Escape was its much higher tow rating: 3500 lbs vs 2000 for the same year Rav4 and CRV. Tow rating was important for me in a small SUV because we haul some Waverunners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

When I was looking at 2017 Escapes, they did not have CVT trans. I was of the firm belief that I wanted to avoid a CVT at all costs, as I do not feel they hold up long-term. I looked at Rav4, CRV, some Chevys, and one of the big differences on the Escape was its much higher tow rating: 3500 lbs vs 2000 for the same year Rav4 and CRV. Tow rating was important for me in a small SUV because we haul some Waverunners.

After some more research what you say is correct, the newer Escapes don't have the CVT transmission. I test drove it last night and it didn't act like a CVT transmission and you can put it in "Sport Mode" and shift the transmission manually with the buttons on the shifter handle. I was pretty impressed on how much power the 2.0L Ecoboot has, and acceleration was pretty impressive. She ended up buying it last night, and now working on selling the dead 2005 Escape as is. One of the mechanics at the dealership may want to buy it and fix it for his daughter. Also have an add on Craigslist, so will see what happens. A junkyard transmission would be about $700, so someone could get it back on the road and keep it or flip it. Will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back