Another day at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Crew 5VZ-FE/Auto with 143,xxx miles.

Came in last Thursday, One of the other "Tech's" drew this job. He diagnosed it as a bad engine because it was missing & smoking-----BADLY. It would fill the whole shop with bluish smoke.

The Service Writer couldn't find a used engine with less than 200K local, A rebuild/reman was beyond what the customer was willing to spend.
II'l admit that I was being nosey albeit curious as to WHY this engine would all the sudden start smoking. The truck was in the shop a couple weeks prior for brake work & has been in for various repairs for the last 7 years per the ShopBoss software we use.
The customer had declined an oil change a total of NINE times, Timing belt Three times, And Drive Belts Five times.

I've managed/foremanned several shop operations in the past & have seen my fair share of strange problems that force out-of the-box diagnostic strategies. I make more money & work fewer hours being a Flat Rate Tech than I ever did in a Management Position.......

In a attempt to stay in my own lane....I advised the SW & Tech that the engine could be sludged & sucking oil through the PCV or fresh air tube. With everyone still in "Holiday Mode" around here......The SW turned the diagnostic over to me.

The fresh air return tube was dry, Removed the air intake tube to access the PCV valve & Hose.......Found the IAC Valve port ahead of the throttle plate full of oil along with oil flowing out of the upper intake past the throttle plate. Removed the hose at the PCV valve & of coarse it was full of oil as well.

Wrote up an estimate for pulling both valve covers, Lower Oil Pan, Flushing the engine (2 gallons of Berrymans Chemdip & 2 gallons of Kerosene), Timing Belt/Water pump, Drive Belts, Spark plugs, Camshaft seals, Antifreeze, Oil/Filter, PCV Valve, GM upper cylinder cleaner Piston soak, And all related gaskets.
Came out too @$2,800 with the emphasis that the engine could fail at any time afterwards & I am NOT responsible for anything beyond workmanship. SOLD the job......Even after being pretty short with the customer about his blatant lack of maintenance. Also advised that the Catalyst's & O2 sensors are poisoned at this point & will require replacement. He decided to roll the dice on this as it just started the missing & smoking.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Was the factory fill still in the oil pan?

You should film the whole problem and clean up and put in on youtube. You'd make some money!

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I am curious as to how it holds up after the repair. Are you going to do a compression / leak down test ?

I did a relative compression test using my Vantage Pro Scope & Amp Clamp.....Very uniform compression waveforms. Of coarse the cylinders are "wet" with oil.
The GM upper engine cleaner piston soak will hopefully free-up any stuck ring issue?

That needs to be printed up and put on the wall of the shop with the note
"This is what happens when you don't change your oil on time.
$28.88 oil change, or $2,888 engine repair, your choice".

Seeing this makes me laugh when you consider there was a member of BITOG a week or two ago who wanted to start a 20K mile OCI club, as if it was a club to be proud of. Ignorance is one thing, willful intent is another.

Scott

Originally Posted by StevieC
Looks like that oil held up well on the cam lobes though...
lol.gif

Toyota "Shim-Bucket" has to be one of the most rudimentary means of valve actuation, In this situation, They are operating in a Bath of oil......

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. What an absolute mess, hopefully there will be a lesson to take back from this.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
10K oci's?
19.gif

More like 50k+ OCI's

I've seen 5VZ-FE's sludged even worse, and after a through clean up of the heads, passages, pan, pickup, one that I know of has put on another 150k miles, now at about 300k and running fine.

This one may survive, despite it's stupid owner.

Looks like lumps of coal under the valve cover.

Clinebarger are you going to take some after pics once the top end the motor is cleaned up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back