When did external radio antennas disappear from cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can remember when my mom would decide she wanted to listen to the Beatles when we drove to the mall in her '66 Comet and one of us kids would have to crawl out onto the right front fender to extend the antenna...I was always like, we're on I294 and you're in the passing lane, cmon mom!!

One could possibly argue that the antennae were not being snapped off by hoodlums, but by businessmen who forgot their pocket pointers and were on their way to critical meetings. I'm sure I have my old pen-shaped mechanically extendible pointer that was a de rigeur item for anybody who wanted to be taken seriously before laser pointers were invented.

I am surprised that so many people have late model vehicles with the old antenna style, I would have sworn that they had been obsolete for decades in the US.

My mazda 323 had the A-pillar antenna that poked out of the roof at a 45 degree angle. Thing was really long, and if it was up when backing out of the garage it would snag on the door and probably break off.

My 91 volvo and 83 mercedes had the power antennae. They also of course had dash switches to active them to show off, or for driving through the ghetto. Volvo's antenna actually broke off (!) before I got it, so I stuffed a retractable antenna in its hole with a good friction fit. Worked great.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
One could possibly argue that the antennae were not being snapped off by hoodlums, but by businessmen who forgot their pocket pointers and were on their way to critical meetings.

Or perhaps dealers who needed to sell a few replacements ...
smile.gif

I think different OEM's introduced various antenna designs at various times.

I recall the T type AM/FM antenna embedded in the front windshield for some models but it was rather directional.

Today, most antennas are Fractal Antennas and rear-mounted inductive loaded Shark Fin antennas.

Both of my trucks 1999 S-10 and 2012 Frontier have the whips and that is what I prefer.

Our Pathfinder has Fractal Antennas and rear-mounted inductive loaded Shark Fin antennas.

many sharkfin antennas are for AM/FM as well as Satellite & GPS.

my old Passat had the AM/FM antenna on the rear side windows (no sharkfin).

My 71 Cutlass has the T-shaped antenna in the windshield that serves AM and FM on my radio. I can't say I'm too thrilled with its signal pickup.

I remember GM wanted to streamline the styling of their vehicles with this feature. That's when they were also hiding the wipers under the hood. It was a styling feature.

Ford did something with the '18 Mustang that I haven't been able to figure out. My '18 coupe has the 'lump' on the roof, which I assume incorporates the Sirius and radio antennas. My friend's '18 convertible has the lump re-located to the trunk, AND a 18" whip mounted on the right rear fender.

Anyone know what this is about?

Vert.JPG

MLPII.jpg

I remember way back when my dad parked his 1994 Explorer in the garage and the antenna would always smack the garage door opening when he pulled in or out of the garage. You could hear it from upstairs. I also remember taking the Explorer through the car wash, and the squeegees that rubbed the top of the car from front to back would get caught on the antenna. The antenna would bend waayyyy back, and I thought for sure it would break, but it would always spring right back up when it got past the squeegee. Now dad's gone, mom still has the Explorer, antenna is still intact, but it doesn't get parked in the garage anymore and it doesn't see any car washes anymore.

My 2002 Focus has what almost looks like a RC car antenna on the roof, just back from the windshield. Radio reception isn't the greatest.

My 2003 Windstar has the antenna in the right rear window glass. Even with stock radio, reception is even worse. Have to manually tune in stations, search just goes right past.

My 1994 F150 and 1996 Windstar have normal right front fender mounted antennas, and work well.

For CB antennas, I find a magnet Mount Wilson 1000 centered on the roof is about the best. 108" whips get to be very directional. If I want directional, moving the location of the magnet mount antenna works well.

Originally Posted by exranger06
I remember way back when my dad parked his 1994 Explorer in the garage and the antenna would always smack the garage door opening when he pulled in or out of the garage. You could hear it from upstairs. I also remember taking the Explorer through the car wash, and the squeegees that rubbed the top of the car from front to back would get caught on the antenna. The antenna would bend waayyyy back, and I thought for sure it would break, but it would always spring right back up when it got past the squeegee. Now dad's gone, mom still has the Explorer, antenna is still intact, but it doesn't get parked in the garage anymore and it doesn't see any car washes anymore.

Does it still have the rubber sheath/cover thing? Both of my 94s did originally, but it was mangled by the time I got them, so I cut the remains off. I guess due to cost cutting, my 02 Ranger never had the rubber cover.

My friend has a 96 Explorer with a 100% factory JBL stereo and it came with a power antenna, activated by turning the head unit on or off. Still works good.

My parents had a 93 Nissan Quest with the windshield set up...I remember there being a line going down the middle of the windshield.

Shark fins seem to be the norm for modern GM cars, though some trucks had whips until recently. Kia and Hyundai tend to use shark fins, though some lower end vehicles use a stubby mast setup. Strangely we do sell Kia Soul masts pretty regularly at work due to apparent theft.

Aren't the "shark fin" antennas for satellite radio and not AM-FM which very often is in the back glass near the defrost wires. ?

Originally Posted by ffhdriver
Aren't the "shark fin" antennas for satellite radio and not AM-FM which very often is in the back glass near the defrost wires. ?

Looks like you are correct, pulled up a random Sonata VIN and it had a "glass antenna amplifier" next to the rear window. Late model Tahoe shows it next to a rear quarter window.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by exranger06

Does it still have the rubber sheath/cover thing? Both of my 94s did originally, but it was mangled by the time I got them, so I cut the remains off. I guess due to cost cutting, my 02 Ranger never had the rubber cover.

Yes, it still has the rubber cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back