'01 Ranger Radiator Drain Plug Head Broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good options on how to remove the plastic radiator drain plug from the radiator? The head broke off. It has started leaking so needs to be removed & replaced with a new plug that I have. I assume that KD Tools 720 Extractor Kit would work well. Probably a #3 with 15/64 drill bit.

Thank you.

If this one also uses a plastic tank then a spiral would be your best bet, the one you linked to is generally the one you want to use for most jobs but they need to be banged in and that's the last thing you want to do with a plastic tank. Use a little pressure pushing in on the extractor as you can to start it then let the tool do the job.
This one or one similar will do.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BSPE6D...&keywords=spiral+screw+extractor+set

Edit: I like Chris142 idea, try that first.

Last edited:
How about applying some Silicon Grease to the Threads and Sealing Area on the replacement ?
May make it easier to remove in the future.

Last edited:
The one I just did had had a hex inside the plug when the head broke off there was enough hex left to grab it with a regular allen wrench and turn it out. Worth a look.

DuckRyder,

No dice. Not enough meat left to bite. I'll try the hot screwdriver. Plug is made from polypropylene I believe.

Heated up a flat blade screwdriver with a propane torch for a few seconds. Jammed it into the plug for a few seconds while it smoked. Then turned CCW to remove the plug. Thanks very much Chris142!

Originally Posted by benjamming
Heated up a flat blade screwdriver with a propane torch for a few seconds. Jammed it into the plug for a few seconds while it smoked. Then turned CCW to remove the plug. Thanks very much Chris142!

Your welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back