Water Pumps Weep Hole???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the purpose of the weep hole in water pumps? I know that in Mexico the mechanics by the side of the road will some time plug the weep hole for cars leaking water. They used small brass marbles that can just hammer them into hole. My uncle once did this on a tractor water pump with a wooden dole.

So the pumps leaking it is an indication of

1. Seal going bad
2. Bearing going bad
3. Other, not sure

Any ideas

When the seal goes bad it let's the coolant leak as a warning to get it fixed asap. The seal could just be worn out or a bearing is getting loose.

One thing for sure. Plugging it will wipe out the bearing very fast as it will be flooded with coolant and not oil.

As above^ Its there to let out coolant before it washes away bearing lube and resulting bearing and water pump failure

It's there as a warning - you are about to experience extreme bearing failure.

If there was no weep hole - there would be no warning.

Just catastrophic explosion when the bearing seizes

Most water pump weep holes are behind the pulley. Carrying lotsa agua was all I ever did when I had a coolant leak. Quite manageable until I could organize parts and time to fix.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex

They do not explode, they seize up, and most water pumps are driven with a smooth pulley, so the bearings will seize and the belt will slip off, then your alternator light comes on and time to park it. First hand experience.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

They do not explode, they seize up, and most water pumps are driven with a smooth pulley, so the bearings will seize and the belt will slip off, then your alternator light comes on and time to park it. First hand experience.

You have never seen the shaft snap and send the fan,fan clutch and pully through the radiator? I see that all the time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This twice^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ As stated, the weep hole is a warning that the seal is bad letting the bearing grease get ruined.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Or the bearings let the shaft cock sideways & the timing belt (on timing belt driven WPs) either jumps time or shreds itself, possibly causing bent valves & possible engine destruction on an interference engine. Don't even ask about 2.7 Chryslers or 3.5 Ecoboosts!

Living in NEW Mexico, I can tell you that a lot of "practices" have migrated to this side of the border. Some of the repairs I see can make you shake your head. Like father like son is present in so many trades.
Smoky

Almost all do. The point is that even a good seal could leak a few drops over its lifetime, and that water must be kept away from the bearing. So the weep hole lets it escape to outside.

If you're losing water from the weep hole, the pump needs to be replaced. A stopgap measure to go a few more miles until you can get one is to keep adding water and loosen the radiator cap so that pressure does not build up. It's just dumb to plug up the weep hole.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies, time to replace the water pump. Not to bad for an OEM Volvo pump at 230K original miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back