RAVENOL VMO SAE 5W-40 Group 4 PAO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Benjy, do you go through every single thread on this site and look for an opportunity to scream about "real" and "fake" synthetics? It's getting quite old.

Yeah, thats why i have him on ignore. Posts useless info and his opinions which i could care less about
wink.gif

to each his own, just the facts mam, tired of all the deceptive advertising + not to mention no distinction between real + wana be group III synthetics.

searching more as i was interested i see other flavors of Ravenol oils stating PAO + Ester like amsoil USED to be, but the VMO says a "special" blend!! read between the lines! prolly a good to better oil but as stated plenty of similar oils in USA at about $5 a qt in 5 qt containers @ wally's etc

Originally Posted by benjy
to each his own, just the facts mam, tired of all the deceptive advertising + not to mention no distinction between real + wana be group III synthetics.

What are you talking about? When it comes to Ravenol all PAO have "USVO" in the description.

i believe i remember reading that oils SOLD for consumption in USA need NOT be REAL synthetic like the oils SOLD + USED in GERMANY. that would surely explain the differences + the good pricing i am seeing for Ravenoil oils. if you check their site they market a LOT of oils of DIFFERENT types!!! the LiquiMoly i got on Amazon said the same on the container + i DON'T PAO based oils sell under $40 for 5L delivered!!!!

The german definition is no less arbitrary than that used by other markets.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

What are you talking about? When it comes to Ravenol all PAO have "USVO" in the description.

i believe i remember reading that oils SOLD for consumption in USA need NOT be REAL synthetic like the oils SOLD + USED in GERMANY. that would surely explain the differences + the good pricing i am seeing for Ravenoil oils. if you check their site they market a LOT of oils of DIFFERENT types!!! the LiquiMoly i got on Amazon said the same on the container + i DON'T PAO based oils sell under $40 for 5L delivered!!!!

The german definition is no less arbitrary than that used by other markets.

He is a 540RAT fan. His postings make no sense

Originally Posted by Extreme-Duty
Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Ravenol Germany describes it clearly as "Vollsynthetisch", so it must be Group IV.

http://www.ravenol.de/produkte/verwendung/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmo-sae-5w-40.html

Not necessarily and you ought to know. Quite a few companies use this term whenever they can. Check out RAVENOL Super Synthetic "Hydrocrack" SSH SAE 0W-30

Why call it Hydrocrack if it indeed is vollsynthetisch and how can a vollsynthetisches 0w-30 have a -39C pour point?

Motul has at least one 10w-40 UHPD-type HDEO with a PP in the -33 to -36C range that they are trying to sell as vollsynthetisch. Violating the vollsynthetisch rule in Germany has little consequence, obviously. So has emission fraud, as we all know.

Just one point: neither RAVENOL VMO SAE 5W-40, nor RAVENOL Super Synthetic "Hydrocrack" SSH SAE 0W-30 were called "vollsynthetisches". Both are specified as "synthetisches" that may be translated as "synthetic" (without "fully" !) or "synthetic technology". At the same time; for example, RAVENOL VST SAE 5W-40 and RAVENOL VSI SAE 5W-40 are specified as "vollsynthetisches":

RAVENOL VST 5W-40
RAVENOL VSI 5W-40

The N.A.D (National Advertising Division) has designated all Group III, and IV base oils to be fully synthetic.The talk of 'fake' synthetics sounds a bit silly now,especially considering that over 70% of base oil use worldwide is now Group III.I could care less if a product is Group III,IV,or Group II/III as long as it meets the required specs that i need for my cars.

Yes.
I think it should be clear that -ONLY- "VOLLSYNTHETISCH (FULLYSynthetic) means Group IV / V Oil in germany?

SYNTHETISCH, SYNTHESTECHNOLGIE, TECHNO SYNTHESE and all this nice marketing buzz words means Group III.
Read the bottle carefull.

A few months ago Motul has changed the description for the 8100 5w-40 from "Vollsynthetisch" to "Techno Synthese" here in Germany.
It seems that annother oil company let her lawyers send a letter to Motul......

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Yes.
I think it should be clear that -ONLY- "VOLLSYNTHETISCH (FULLYSynthetic) means Group IV / V Oil in germany?

SYNTHETISCH, SYNTHESTECHNOLGIE, TECHNO SYNTHESE and all this nice marketing buzz words means Group III.
Read the bottle carefull.

A few months ago Motul has changed the description for the 8100 5w-40 from "Vollsynthetisch" to "Techno Synthese" here in Germany.
It seems that annother oil company let her lawyers send a letter to Motul......

I did not know that Motul changed it, as I was looking recently on their German web site 8100.

Last edited:
its cheaper to try to baffle consumers with advertising gobleduguke than outrightly tell the truth!! some oil manufacturers-blenders tell more than others that HIDE behind propriety, i surely don't expect full disclosure but if everyone honestly showed their type of base oils we could make better choices. yea group III is good but depending on usage group IV + or V excells IMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back