Infrared LED Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
IR emitting LEDs are used in remote controls, IR cameras, night vision systems etc. But while making two pieces of toast this morning, I thought about how much energy that appliance used just to darken the surface of bread and make it warm. Are the IR LED systems that put out enough energy so that you could line the inside of a toaster structure with them and actually toast bread using far less electricity? It seems to me that toasters are real energy hogs in the home. Thoughts?

Yes they are energy hogs but they operate for relatively brief periods of time.

A typical IR emitter found in RCs uses ~ 50mA @ 1.2V. The bread would mold over before enough of these diodes toasted it...Š

I know those are very low power but do LED IR emitters exist that would equal the IR output of a red hot wire in a toaster. I just don't know how powerful these can be made.

I think the intent of IR LEDs is to emit as little IR as possible while still accomplishing the goal (changing the channel).
This maintains long battery life so as not to inconvenience the consumer.

In a toaster, you want it to emit as much as possible so your toast is ready quickly. The duty cycle of a toaster is almost nil (5-10 min per day is my guess).
Nobody cares how much energy the toaster is using because it's used so infrequently.

Yes but add that up across 330 million people on a daily basis and it adds up. Just thinking about it. I have all my light bulbs over to LED and it makes a big difference. Still, what is the answer to my question? Are there IR LEDs with enough output to act as a red hot wire?

In respect to generating heat, it doesn't really get more efficient than resisitive heating elements. Waste/by-product heat is what is measured in other electronics as their LOSS of efficiency, so when heat is what you want, that kind of goes all out the window - what would you consider the waste by-product to be? Visible light? Toasters are about as efficient as they're going to get. Either way I think I will take the $20 toaster with $0.05 worth of resistive wire over some fancy pants new technology with some ungodly environmental impact all for the promise of slightly more efficient toasting - something my family collectively does for maybe 15 minutes a week (double if toaster strudels are on sale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back