My first pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought a few thousand rounds of Aguila.

I've yet to shoot it.

It has a good reputation. High velocity ammo will run better in your pistol as it will move the slide fully on every shot. Not all Aguila is high velocity.

Originally Posted by Astro14

I've yet to shoot it.

It has a good reputation. High velocity ammo will run better in your pistol as it will move the slide fully on every shot. Not all Aguila is high velocity.

Originally Posted by Astro14

I've yet to shoot it.

I haven't had very good luck with the Aguila. But I've have very good results with the Federal 711B and the Federal 525 economy box.

Originally Posted by Eosyn
That 50-round pack of ammo was given to me from the dealer. I don't know much about ammo, yet. I bought 4 of these Federal 525s.

The Federal .22 you bought is excellent stuff. You can get a 5250rd box for @ $170 on line. LGS here had pallets of it, 'Federal Black Box' bulk packs. 1600 rounds ( 32 plain white 50 round boxes ) for $60.00, or the 5250 rounds ( 10 of those 525 round boxes ) for $170.00

The 1600 round box fits nicely in a .30 cal ammo can. The 10 525 round boxes fit nicely in a SAW can. Your hoarding habits may vary.
11.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
The NRA is a waste of money here. They won't even try to fight for our 2A here. There are others here that are a better choice.

Yep. Second Amendment Foundation, Gun Owners of America, local groups are the way to go. The NRA screwed FL too.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
My first gun was a Henry Golden Boy, and BPS would only let me buy a single 500 round box of .22. I said I wanted 1000 rounds or so and the salesman was a little concerned at that. Canada sucks!

What do you mean? As far as I'm aware, the only limit on ammo sales here is that you're not supposed to have more than about 100,000 rounds in your house under the explosives laws (I forget the exact mass of powder you're allowed without an explosives license)?

congratulations on your ruger sr22! i have the 3.5" version, have put about 5000 rounds of all different ammo types through it in 2 years without issues (except low velocity "quiet" ammo, no surprise), but no junk thunderbolts. mine also failed to feed from the mag when i was first using just the slide release to charge the gun-bad move. pull back all the way on the slide and release it ("slingshotting") for sure thing charging. even though you may not wish to regularly conceal carry this pistol, i would get a concealed carry permit anyway for the flexibility that it offers. im a life member of the nra because of a special discount offer on the fee, but there may be better second amendment groups, especially at the state level. don't let anyone pooh-pooh your choice of a 22lr pistol, you have a dandy one and the more that you use it the better tool it becomes. buy a few more magazines and a holster, and enjoy!

Thank you everyone for the congratulatory comments. Even though I've only shot it once, I'm sure I will get more comfortable using it and shooting, in general. It's my first pistol, so I will hold onto and cherish it for a long time to come.

Any tips on how to shoot, what brand of ammo to use, for plinking and/or home defense, are welcome. I can use a lot of insights to this new hobby.

11.gif

CCI makes great .22 ammo. Buy several different kinds and see which ones work best in your gun. For defense use the one that has proven most reliable. The number one thing is to get out and shoot, a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HouseTiger

The Federal .22 you bought is excellent stuff. You can get a 5250rd box for @ $170 on line. LGS here had pallets of it, 'Federal Black Box' bulk packs. 1600 rounds ( 32 plain white 50 round boxes ) for $60.00, or the 5250 rounds ( 10 of those 525 round boxes ) for $170.00

The 1600 round box fits nicely in a .30 cal ammo can. The 10 525 round boxes fit nicely in a SAW can. Your hoarding habits may vary.
11.gif

crazy2.gif
Wow! Can you link me the site for those prices? Or do they go on specials from time to time? Where is a decent website to buy good bulk ammo?

Also someone mentioned high velocity rounds to fully cycle the slide. What is considered "high velocity" in terms of fps?

My favorite site for ammo:

www.sgammo.com

Excellent prices on practically everything. I've bought good self defense ammo for 1/3 of what my local gun store charges.

Also someone mentioned high velocity rounds to fully cycle the slide. What is considered "high velocity" in terms of fps?

I think it's officially around 1200fps, but it usually says 'high velocity' on the box
smile.gif
. The only .22 pistol I've fired in the last twenty years is a P226, which was OK with 1200fps in the summer, but didn't like anything other than CCI Stinger in the winter; I'm guessing the 40C drop in temperature was enough to make the 'high velocity' rounds too slow to cycle it properly.

cci standard (1020fps as i recall) ammo cycles has worked just fine in my sr22 in winter and summer. cci stingers get my vote for defensive use but most important is your ability to consistently put rounds on target. a 22lr, which one comfortably practices with alot, can serve as protection for most common folks, until somebody invents centerfire pistol ammo that disables by near miss concussive shock waves or has a proximity fuse to spray shrapnel.

Just got back from the range, shooting my new pistol for the first time. What I experienced:

• Started to get blisters on my middle and ring finger, more so the middle finger. Either the handle is too small (using the larger adapter) or I'm holding the handle incorrectly.
  • 3 jams using the Federal ammo, all while loading the magazines. The round did not make it into the chamber. I think this is operator error rather than ammo or gun.
  • Double action on first Trigger pull is heavy. Subsequent trigger pulls are much easier.
  • Couldn't hold pistol steady when aiming. contributing this to my excitement and nervousness.
  • Thumb got sore pushing the lever while loading magazines.

Over all, not a bad experience. I'm okay with everything I listed (as they can be corrected) except for the blisters.
Here are my two targets. I think I shot about 100 rounds today (not all on the 2 targets). The other targets, I'm too ashamed to show.
lol.gif

You're off to a good start.

Keep in mind the pistol may have some break-in time, so don't write off all ammo just yet, wait until it gets 1000 rounds or so under its belt. (But really poorly matching ammo will be evident).

Often blisters mean a finger is interfering with the slide, which can also produce jams. But you are talking about lower fingers, so I guess that's not what is happening. Another thing that can cause soreness is if one part of the hand or finger(s) is taking most of the recoil.

To steady the pistol while aiming, push lightly forward with your strong hand, and pull lightly backwards with the other.

Some Ruger 22 magazines (Mark II, 22/25) have a button that allow you to pull down the follower, then the ammo can be top loaded in the magazine with ease. If not, there may be a "thumb buster" loading accessory you can get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back