1950s era cars in Cuba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
My wife and I just got back from a 5 day trip to Varadero Cuba and I really was in awe of all of the 1950s American made cars still on the road there! I had heard a little bit about this in the past from a co worker who was born in Varadero, but I had no idea there were so many of them still running after all this time! I'm not joking when I say that probably 10-20% of the cars I saw there were American cars built in the 1950s (mostly Chevrolets but I did see a few Fords and even a Pontiac or two) I had also thought that most of these cars were only to be found in the capital city of Havana but apparently they are all over the country.

From what I understand, sometime around the end of the 1950s, Fidel Castro banned the sale of new cars and car parts from other countries, so people just kept doing whatever they could to keep these old American classics on the road. This meant if they needed a part, they made it themselves or took another existing part and "Macguivered" it to work. I am pretty sure that most of these cars no longer have the original engines in them but I bet a few of these cars must have over a million miles on them.

Very few of them were in showroom new condition, that's for sure, but it was still very cool to see so many of them on the road. I hope it stays that way down there for a long time, as some of them might disappear as time goes on and newer cars are allowed to be brought in there.

FullSizeRender.JPG

IMG_8750.jpg

IMG_8754.jpg

The body is the only thing that makes them "classic" cars. Underneath they are something different. There are very, very few V8s left under the hoods of those "classic cars". They are nice to look at!

Last edited:
I watched that show about them a few years ago. Most have some sort of diesel industrial engine in them by now.

I have huge respect for people that can work with what they got and keep it running. They are a very smart people too bad their govt keeps them so depressed.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I watched that show about them a few years ago. Most have some sort of diesel industrial engine in them by now.

I have huge respect for people that can work with what they got and keep it running. They are a very smart people too bad their govt keeps them so depressed.

I can say for 100% that you are not employed by CNN .

My folks were there a couple years ago...... a lot of older cars & trucks there have been "re-engined' with Russian diesel engines, of all things!

This series, "Cuban Chrome", was run on the Discovery Channel several years ago and was quite interesting. The owners of these cars show Ingenuity at its best to keep those cars running. I'm sure these cars are not the most reliable but a small miracle they are running at all without a readily available supply of new parts.

Full episodes:
https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/cuban-chrome/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fcjeep
This series, "Cuban Chrome", was run on the Discovery Channel several years ago and was quite interesting. The owners of these cars show Ingenuity at its best to keep those cars running. I'm sure these cars are not the most reliable

On the transport from our resort to the airport I did see two of them broken down at the side of the road with their hoods open.

Originally Posted by Danno
A lot of Canadians vacation in cuba, but I won't ever go to cuba as per Chris142 comment.
Spending money there is supporting the wrong people.

A good friend of mine was born in Varadero, and he's been urging me to vacation there for years, and my wife and I finally decided to give it a try, but honestly it'll probably be our only trip there. The beaches are beautiful, the weather is fantastic, the people are super nice but the food is terrible and what they call a 5 star hotel is not even a 3 star hotel anywhere else. That's why the trips there are so cheap, and Canadians have loved it for years (there had to be 90% Canadians in our resort)

We took a snorkelling trip one morning and the bus ride took us through a lot of the streets of Varadero and we got to see how these people live, it was really sad to see the condition of the houses these people call their homes. The country makes a ton of money from the tourism industry, but the people of this country live in run down shacks of homes. It's very sad.

A lot of Canadians vacation in cuba, but I won't ever go to cuba as per Chris142 comment.

Been there twice. The people are great. The system sucks, but that is changing with time.

So is buying your underwear/shoes/T.V.s/cellphones/etc. at Walmart....or any other number of retail establishments-supporting countries-over there.

But hey...you are not actually traveling there so it's OK..........

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

So is buying your underwear/shoes/T.V.s/cellphones/etc. at Walmart....or any other number of retail establishments-supporting countries-over there.
But hey...you are not actually traveling there so it's OK..........

Big assumption where I buy my stuff...
But where I can make a clear choice, I will.
I do vacation in the US, most secure imo, and have their heads screwed on the right way, again imo.

I've dealt with folks from the US a lot in my career. All food folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back