Honda Longlife vs BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been searching this site for the past couple of days. Trying to find compatibility between these two coolants.

As far as I can tell, they are both OAT style coolants. The Honda is silicate free, while the BMW is low silicate.

Reason I ask, I have always used Honda LL in my Civic, and have not had to change the fluid on the BMW yet. I used to work at Acura, so basically got the Honda LL for free.

Now that I am at BMW, I basically get the BMW stuff for free. So, no issues with the BMW, but what about using it in the Honda?

I also like the fact that the BMW stuff needs to be mixed, so I can easily run whatever concentration I want.

Should I run several flushes on the Civic with BMW stuff to get all the Honda stuff out to prevent any mismatch compatibility?

Id just stick with what Honda uses, even in the aftermarket they need different coolants, so for some reason they dont recommend swapping. The Rowe or genuine that I put in BMWs doesnt cross to the Hondas, while the blue BMW will work in place of G11 in older VWs. The 20$ saved isnt worth the risk. However, when I was at the BMW dealers back in 2006-2008, we were by the quart for oil changes, so if its like that by you find an Oil Saver and start getting free oil. When I was laid off at the recession in 08 I had 4 cases of BMW 5/30 from makeup oil.

Both HOATs. Honda Type2 (pHoat), phosphated OAT. No silicates, nitrites, borates, amines. BMW silicated OAT, no nitrites, amines, or phosphate. I'd say if you're going to do it, do a complete exchange/flush. If you can get ahold of concentrated BMW preferable. That way you won't have to waste premix AF. Flush with distilled, fill to ~50%, top with distilled.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Both HOATs. Honda Type2 (pHoat), phosphated OAT. No silicates, nitrites, borates, amines. BMW silicated OAT, no nitrites, amines, phosphate. I'd say if you're going to do it, do a complete exchange/flush. If you can get ahold of concentrated BMW preferable. That way you won't have to waste premix AF. Flush with distilled, fill to ~50%, top with distilled.

Thanks. No issue with wasting premixed. Every time I do a warranty thermostat (which is very often) I get a full jug of pure coolant. Needless to say, I have 4 or 5 gallons of pure coolant at any one time.

I would not switch or mix coolants, even when doing a total flush. Unlike the SAE requirement that engine oils be compatible with other brands, there is no such requirement for coolant. Use Honda coolant in your Honda, and use BMW coolant in your BMW.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back