New 2019-ford-ranger not bad looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bad looking, but too [censored] big!

I saw one up in Michigan back in September. I think they look better in person.. Very Honda Ridgeline like depending on the angle of the camera.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Just saw this article that says the left front tire has to be removed in order to change oil on the new Ranger along with removing 9 push pins to remove a cover and four other bolts for a module cover. That's for the filter and oil change.

Remove wheel to replace oil filter

Yes, the things that may be required -- emphasis on "may be required -- to change the oil & filter has become quite an issue for some.

FWIW, as noted on the other thread, removing the front tire isn't required; it simply ensures greater access to the oil filter via the fender well. Also, the "module cover" in question is actually a metal shield that protects the oil pan. The fact that the shield exists isn't surprising on a truck. What is surprising is the number of Saturday morning "mechanics" who find removing four bolts to gain access to the sump plug a somewhat daunting task.

Originally Posted by andyd
It should be called F 100 . Ranger was way smaller.

You have not driven new trucks this thing is compact by today's standards.

Seems stupid but I tend to be a fan of tire rotations every 5k, and, with all my FUD and whatnot, I'd rather do 5k OCI's. Pulling a wheel IS stupid to do an oil change but so is pulling an intake manifold to do plugs, or pulling engine mount to do a timing belt, and a bunch of other things. In reality, if it's only every few years... or "only" pulling a wheel... then it's a first world problem.

I think some here are stuck in the glory days of a regular cab manual 2WD Ranger that the real world North American market has shifted away from.

That being said, everything I have seen and read of this new Ranger shows it to be priced pretty right and competitive with the GM and Toyota models it competes against. Ford's decision for just one engine option and powerful one at that, is a good choice.

The various TFL Youtube channels have had some good videos on the new Ranger and comparisons against the Tacoma and the F150. Model for model against the F150 with similar options, the Ranger is tracking $10K-$12K less than the F150 in cost. If I was back in the mid to smaller truck market, I would give the new Ranger serious consideration.

No redeeming qualities other than being sort of smaller than full size. Yeah, no thanks.

Previous Ranger even in XLT with 4x4 was priced around the cost of an economy car. This thing is $40k+ with a gas 4-cylinder and 2WD? Wow. They can keep it.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
No redeeming qualities other than being sort of smaller than full size. Yeah, no thanks.

Previous Ranger even in XLT with 4x4 was priced around the cost of an economy car. This thing is $40k+ with a gas 4-cylinder and 2WD? Wow. They can keep it.

Exactly.so out of control

I love the looks of it actually. My brother had that same power train combo in his mustang and it is a blast to drive. My issue really with all midsize pickups is the price just doesn't make it worth it to me

I think it's a great offering. If we didn't pull a camper I'd give it strong consideration - hard to part with a fullsize bed though.

Originally Posted by meep
I think it's a great offering. If we didn't pull a camper I'd give it strong consideration - hard to part with a fullsize bed though.

Lots of Ozers pull campers...6000lb towing capacity.

There's a family SUV version of them as well, the Everest. A mate's got one and he drags race cars around with it all the time...

BTW, speaking of Everest, here's a pretty one I saw today with flared guards.

everest.jpg

Last edited:
it's hard to fathom a 4-pot pulling 6,000 lbs but I'm totally rooting for it to prove itself. And from experience, for that kind of weight I absolutely want the wheelbase and track width of a full size. That said, I'd much rather commute in a smaller truck than a fullsize... until the weekend, when plywood, etc., has to find its way home regularly. Living with Ford's 2.7L, I think if anyone is poised to make this work with a 4-cyl they are, though we all know that the 3.5 and to a lesser degree the 2.7 have both had some teething pains. The 2.7 has such a wonderful torque curve that the 2.3 could be the next bar to be met.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
I think some here are stuck in the glory days of a regular cab manual 2WD Ranger that the real world North American market has shifted away from.

That being said, everything I have seen and read of this new Ranger shows it to be priced pretty right and competitive with the GM and Toyota models it competes against. Ford's decision for just one engine option and powerful one at that, is a good choice.

The various TFL Youtube channels have had some good videos on the new Ranger and comparisons against the Tacoma and the F150. Model for model against the F150 with similar options, the Ranger is tracking $10K-$12K less than the F150 in cost. If I was back in the mid to smaller truck market, I would give the new Ranger serious consideration.

Local dealership here just got a Lariat 4x4 in, sticker price is is $52K CAD

I will wait for the new Courier, I just hope it is available as a two door with a four cylinder a six speed manual and no turbo.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

I'm a current Ranger owner, who was awaiting the release of the 2019 Ranger to replace my current truck.

Ford has forced me to look at the Colorado; I am not interested in a turbo four/ten speed combination, that starts at 4,500 dollars higher than the Colorado.

Originally Posted by notonto
I will wait for the new Courier, I just hope it is available as a two door with a four cylinder a six speed manual and no turbo.

I have a hunch that Ford's original plan was to offer the Ranger in such a configuration; early on, news stories were run, with Ford saying that there's a need for a no frills standard cab pickup. Instead, Ford comes in with a product that starts at 4,500 dollars more than their Chevrolet & Nissan competitors.

I like the idea of a six speed, normally aspirated, Courier; I don't like the FWD configuration, nor do I like unit body construction. I expect the Courier's competition to come from Hyundai's upcoming "truck;" and with the Hyundai, I can expect reliability and value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back