2014 Nissan Maxima acceleration issue cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter and SIL came to visit for Christmas. When they got back to Colorado his Hyundai SUV was dead. My daughter started her car and tried to drive it but it wouldn't accelerate properly so off to the dealer it went. I was dreading that it might be a CVT issue but it ended up being a low voltage issue.... Whew!

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
So just a new battery? Prob about $160 at the dealer would be my guess.

It would be 1hr to diagnose ($180) and another $150 or so for the battery.

Originally Posted by The Critic

That's nuts in my opinion ^^^^^^.

I'm not sure how a dead battery would dictate vehicle acceleration once the vehicle was started and the alternator took over. Are some of these newer vehicles really so sensitive to low voltage provided by the battery? Are manufacturers undersizing the alternators so badly to improve EPA gas mileage numbers?

Originally Posted by Brybo86
So which one was it Nissan maxima or the Hyundai SUV?

Maxima

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Are some of these newer vehicles really so sensitive to low voltage provided by the battery?

Definitely. Not so much on the newest models, but older Durango's were notorious for crazy issues stemming from a failing battery. Not idling, weird lights, crazy errors... my Caliber's auto door locks won't engage properly when the battery started failing. Sometimes they wouldn't lock till I hit 45mph, other times it would do it at 10mph. Other times it took 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by The Critic

That's nuts in my opinion ^^^^^^.

A friend of mine was charged $800 to replace one half shaft on her Caliber due to CV boot failure.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Definitely. Not so much on the newest models, but older Durango's were notorious for crazy issues stemming from a failing battery. Not idling, weird lights, crazy errors... my Caliber's auto door locks won't engage properly when the battery started failing. Sometimes they wouldn't lock till I hit 45mph, other times it would do it at 10mph. Other times it took 10 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds.

Corroded or broken ground straps can cause the same errors.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Corroded or broken ground straps can cause the same errors.

Yes, and the Durango/Dakota alternator main ground rotting through was the #1 biggest cause of O2 low voltage codes in my experience.

All the dealership did was check it and charge the battery up. Daughter said it was a 2 hour deal.

Just went thru this with my Lucerne. About a month ago I get in it to go to work after remote starting it, no radio or chimes. At lunch it fired right up and the chimes and radio were working and no problems until a couple days ago same thing no radio or chimes but this time at lunch she wouldn't start. New battery and all is well. What I was worried about is everything else was working, door locks, power windows, trunk release etc.. made me think it might not be the battery. Mech told me if the computer doesn't see a certain voltage from the battery it wont initiate a start even though the same battery might start a different vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back