Low voltage switching and wiring in a home

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coworker asked me for some advice. This is a setup that was popular and installed decades ago. Relays in the basement that control 120v lighting circuits and low voltage switches in several places to control the relays. GE, Touchplate, and Remcon made the systems, although only Touchplate still does make parts.

Anyone with experience or suggestions?

I suggested he rip out the system and replace the relays with several GE smart switches he can control remotely by several means.

I think maintaining the system with relays will be expensive, and tossing good money after bad.

He may be limited in finding electricians who are familiar.

https://inspectapedia.com/electric/Low_Voltage_Wiring_in_Buildings.php

Very similar to how elevators work. Low voltage on the control side and much higher voltage on the secondary side. I did elevator service for 3 plus decades. Should be able to source parts locally for relays. Switches depending upon physical size may be a challenge.hope this helps

Reminds me of the lighting at a church I used to maintain, it's a dated system for sure. I feel traditional line voltage is more solid and reliable less components to malfunction and go bad. If your friend has the means to start fresh and run the wiring, I'd rip that stuff out and start fresh with all new fixtures. Besides that stuff is not all that energy efficient. There's line voltage feeding a transverter relays electrical mechanical components. I would believe that draws more energy than several LED fixtures.

Interesting system, first I heard of it in this type of application.

As everything is going to smart type IOT devices maybe now is a good time to switch? Look into SoNoff for example. These are cheap inexpensive wifi controllable switching devices for 120v, 12v or dry contacts depending on the model you get and you can control with Alexa or Google home as well if they want that in addition to the smart phone app. I also figured out that there are other apps out there that work with these modules than just the app they recommend so it looks like more than one company is using this same design.

I've got them controlling my ceiling fans where the power is at the fan not at the switch on the wall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

They were around, I remember when I was a kid my parents had friends who had their house wired with this type of system. One cool thing was that you could have multiple configurations of switches to operate different lights, the best part was they had a master switch in the bedroom near their bed which would turn off every light in the house. I mean I know you can do all that today with modern systems but back in the late 60s to a geeky little kid like myself, I thought it was one of the neatest things I'd ever seen.

This website has some pictures and stuff:

https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/low-voltage-switches-plates/

We looked at a nearby home like that when we were in the market about 10yrs ago. Low voltage switching. It looked like it was installed in the late 1950s, maybe 60s. I guess it was marketed as being "the safe alternative" to 120VAC at the switch back in those days. Like said, the major hurtle is finding replacement wall switches and cover plates. Relays you could swap to your liking.

The only fix as far as I know is to run a switch legs down from every effected fixture.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by StevieC

They were around, I remember when I was a kid my parents had friends who had their house wired with this type of system. One cool thing was that you could have multiple configurations of switches to operate different lights, the best part was they had a master switch in the bedroom near their bed which would turn off every light in the house. I mean I know you can do all that today with modern systems but back in the late 60s to a geeky little kid like myself, I thought it was one of the neatest things I'd ever seen.

This website has some pictures and stuff:

https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/low-voltage-switches-plates/

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif
Still fascinated by this...

Those relays contain a considerable amount of mercury, so if he does decide to take them out, handle carefully and don't just throw them in the landfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back