One more nissan cvt post and I'll shut up (possibly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to getting the cvt serviced in our 13 Nissan Altima at 75k. The tech mentioned how dirty the fluid was but didn't mention anything else. Right away I noticed the cvt operating smoother and without shuttering when accelerating around corners. Knock on wood but I haven't had any issues. But while driving through an extremely hilly neighborhood (think San Francisco), I could smell the transmission. It didnt smell burnt that I'm aware of but you definitely noticed. This was climbing hills going about 15-20 mph. Once on level ground, it went away. The cvt never started acting funny in any way and it still drove normal. I know nothing about cvt transmissions. Is this normal or do I have the beginnings of a problem?

Was this an expensive process?
Was this done by a Nissan dealer tech or a independent shop?

There may have been some fluid spilled while the tech was refilling the tranny with CVT fluid. I doubt that there was any fluid spilled during the draining process as the drain bolt is vertical in the pan(not off to the side of the pan or tranny) and the fluid would have flowed straight downward into the catch container or whatever the tech was using to catch the old fluid. And maybe this is what you're smelling?

Glad to hear that the tranny feels better.

Last edited:
It was an independent shop specializing in nissan vehicles. They charged 200 bucks for a drain and fill. Its possible it was residual left over. Not sure though.

Last edited:
I would say that $200 is a good price for having someone else do the work including the cost of NISSAN CVT Fluid.
Did the tech explain the process?
Was it just/only a drain & refill?

If you can look down at the top of the tranny where the fill tube goes into the tranny, see if there is residual fluid(wet) around the area. This is probably where the smell is coming from as the tranny gets... )))HOT(((

What did the shop say? Since they do these all the time they may be able to explain it or check it out if necessary.

Using your description as basis, I don't like that you only experienced the smell driving in a hilly area. Since serviced recently that could imply the cvt sump was either underfilled or overfilled. Or, it could be nothing. Possible I suppose that it could be some residual and dripping on hills. Doesn't seem that likely. Before the service, ever driven in a hilly area and noticed the same thing?

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Using your description as basis, I don't like that you only experienced the smell driving in a hilly area. Since serviced recently that could imply the cvt sump was either underfilled or overfilled. Or, it could be nothing. Possible I suppose that it could be some residual and dripping on hills. Doesn't seem that likely. Before the service, ever driven in a hilly area and noticed the same thing?

Great Question but a scary thought of the CVT pump being over/underfilled. Since it is an indy shop specializing in NISSANs, we'd hope they got it right!
shocked.gif

^^^Yep, no doubt. As noted just speculating off description and timing of smell. Otoh, having just recently watched the movie Bullitt again, SF not exactly gentle rolling hills.
56.gif
So, option there too for could be nothing.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by Sayjac

Great Question but a scary thought of the CVT pump being over/underfilled. Since it is an indy shop specializing in NISSANs, we'd hope they got it right!
shocked.gif

I think Sayjac nailed it.

With regard to your comment about an Indy Shop specializing in Nissans, you are correct. The operative words are "we'd hope they got it right."

Take it back to the shop and have them check the level. Tell them about the burning smell.
If some fluid was spilled, I would imagine they would clean it... And it is pretty hard to spill because the fill pipe makes it easy to fill.
Also, look at your receipt. I think that transmission takes approx. 4.1 quarts on a spill and fill.
The 2013 might still have a dip stick, which makes it easy to check. Not sure...

Finally, I would service that CVT 2 times as you only get a portion of the fluid out.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
….The 2013 might still have a dip stick, which makes it easy to check. Not sure....
Afaik 2013 Altima first year no dipstick. I have read in several places that using the Nissan OE dipstick for a 2012 will work, yrmv. Just takes the place of the cap found on the 2013. They can be found on ebay for ~$21. Seen youtubes where some made their own just for drain and fill purposes. Nissan OE seems like better option to me.

I would go back and ask them to just measure the fluid once again.

Originally Posted by monster1
It was an independent shop specializing in nissan vehicles. They charged 200 bucks for a drain and fill. Its possible it was residual left over. Not sure though.

This is what I was thinking. Left over old transmission fluid that they didn't clean up good enough burning off.

Most likely, it was overfilled.

The fluid level needs to be adjusted between 95F-113F with 104F being the ideal temp.

Was the vehicle allowed to cool for at least several hours before the fluid change and level adjustment was performed? If not, they most likely "ballparked" the fluid level (which a lot of techs do if the car is a waiter) and the fluid level will not be correct.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Take it back to the shop and have them check the level. Tell them about the burning smell.
If some fluid was spilled, I would imagine they would clean it... And it is pretty hard to spill because the fill pipe makes it easy to fill.
Also, look at your receipt. I think that transmission takes approx. 4.1 quarts on a spill and fill.
The 2013 might still have a dip stick, which makes it easy to check. Not sure...

Finally, I would service that CVT 2 times as you only get a portion of the fluid out.
Good luck.

The amount used for a drain and refill really varies. It depends on whether the vehicle was drained while level, at an angle, etc. I have seen some significant variations on Nissan automatics. It is best to pump in 3 quarts when the trans is cold and see if fluid starts to trickle out of the overfill tube. The trick is to pump in enough fluid so that when you are below 95F there is already a small stream coming out of the overflow plug. You want the trans to be slightly overfilled below 95F, but not too much. Once the temp rises to 104F (the fluid level will continue to rise), you can remove the check plug one final time and allow any excess fluid to drain out. Note: If the trans gets overfilled too much, the amount of time needed to drain the excess (once you reach 104F) will be too long and you will be outside of the allowable temp range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back