STP Syn 5w30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen one yet so here it is. Discuss/Thoughts?

STP_SYN_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil_1.5.0.png

STP 5w30 SYN VOA.jpg

That looks like a typical dexos1 Gen 2 VOA to me, maybe except for the titanium level.
I found a synopsis for a paper a while ago that claimed that boron-based additives were good for preventing a high level of magnesium-based detergents from interfering with the beneficial MoS2-ZDDP interaction, and there is a good dose of boron shown here.
I wish I could find a pic of the back of the bottle to see if a d1G2 license # is shown there! The STP website didn't mention anything about it, though.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
That bottle does not have a Dexos 1 or 2 symbol on it. If it did, what would be changed in the post VOA results?.,,

I believe that's a generic picture and not the bottle he sent the sample from. That VOA appears to be d1G2 formulation, i.e., less Calcium and Sodium, more Magnesium and some Moly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
That looks like some pretty good stuff. I would definitely use it.

I agree.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
That bottle does not have a Dexos 1 or 2 symbol on it. If it did, what would be changed in the post VOA results?.,,

Its Dexos Gen1 I used an internet pic. here is the actual bottle.

STP SYN 5w30.jpg

Originally Posted by MParr
That looks like some pretty good stuff. I would definitely use it.

Yep, looks good.

I bought some "High Mileage" Full Synthetic STP10W-30 on AutoZone's clearance - I wonder if the add pack is similar

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
That looks like a typical dexos1 Gen 2 VOA to me, maybe except for the titanium level.
I found a synopsis for a paper a while ago that claimed that boron-based additives were good for preventing a high level of magnesium-based detergents from interfering with the beneficial MoS2-ZDDP interaction, and there is a good dose of boron shown here.
I wish I could find a pic of the back of the bottle to see if a d1G2 license # is shown there! The STP website didn't mention anything about it, though.

Would 1000ppm magnesium qualify as high?

It's not quiet as stout as Amalie's signature Elixer Synthetic 5W30. That's okay, I cannot buy the Amalie Elixer off the shelf around here.

Originally Posted by DrDanger

I lost track of that paper and didn't find it just now with a quick google, I guess I would have to find my old post on this topic to find the paper again, I'm not sure what levels of magnesium were used in that study.
700-1000ppm of magnesium seems pretty typical for a d1G2 oil now, going back 5 years or so I only saw some flavors of M1 near that level as well as some Castrols that had some that I think were as high as 1400-1500ppm. I don't think I've ever seen 2000-3000ppm for magnesium like used to be very common for calcium (and can still be found!).
That paper was very interesting to me as it showed that there was a downside to magnesium based detergents that had to be addressed with other elements of an oil formulation, I made a logical leap and assumed that must have been one reason why calcium levels were generally much higher than those for magnesium in mass market oils when I started paying attention to how they were formulated. The discovery of the calcium-LSPI link messed things up and magnesium is suddenly very popular in oil!
Sodium in the presence of calcium was also found to be a strong accelerant for LSPI events and d1G2 oils seem to be showing very low sodium levels.

BTW, I would be fine for using that oil for topoffs and would consider it for a full change if it is sold in 5qt jugs and I found it at a good price!

Last edited:
Slightly offtopic,

I found a Euro study showing all but every detergent at anything past 0,05% or 0,005% of volume interfering with moly plating, due to the slight attraction force of detergents to the metals. This was explained as anti corrosion coating/ behaviour of many types of detergents.
Wear scars showed both detergents and moly present in cracks, but little moly layering due to detergents competing to coat the area.
Study only did standard tribo tests and I think real motor conditions of elevated pressures and heat would help things a bit.

https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01149050/document

Originally Posted by DrDanger

I lost track of that paper and didn't find it just now with a quick google, I guess I would have to find my old post on this topic to find the paper again, I'm not sure what levels of magnesium were used in that study.
700-1000ppm of magnesium seems pretty typical for a d1G2 oil now, going back 5 years or so I only saw some flavors of M1 near that level as well as some Castrols that had some that I think were as high as 1400-1500ppm. I don't think I've ever seen 2000-3000ppm for magnesium like used to be very common for calcium (and can still be found!).
That paper was very interesting to me as it showed that there was a downside to magnesium based detergents that had to be addressed with other elements of an oil formulation, I made a logical leap and assumed that must have been one reason why calcium levels were generally much higher than those for magnesium in mass market oils when I started paying attention to how they were formulated. The discovery of the calcium-LSPI link messed things up and magnesium is suddenly very popular in oil!
Sodium in the presence of calcium was also found to be a strong accelerant for LSPI events and d1G2 oils seem to be showing very low sodium levels.

BTW, I would be fine for using that oil for topoffs and would consider it for a full change if it is sold in 5qt jugs and I found it at a good price!

Tried looking for it too. You're on point here, Virtus'

Does STP blend their own pcmo's?... this looks similar to some Kendall/Phillips oils I've seen.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Does STP blend their own pcmo's?... this looks similar to some Kendall/Phillips oils I've seen.

I believe someone blends it for them sir
smile.gif

I dont know who though

Actually Amalie oil company makes it in my area... Verification by Dexos Gen 2 number matches exactly Amalie Elixir full synthetic....
Warren Distribution makes it has well... Verified by Dexos Gen 2 number matching their full synthetic oil.. Mag1 full synthetic Dexos 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero

Actually Amalie oil company makes it in my area... Verification by Dexos Gen 2 number matches exactly Amalie Elixir full synthetic....
Warren Distribution makes it has well... Verified by Dexos Gen 2 number matching their full synthetic oil.. Mag1 full synthetic Dexos 5w30.

Roger that... I'm fine with either. Looks like a solid add pk.ðŸ‘.. and further proof that not all 5/30 lubes mfg by Warren are the same because I don't believe either ST or Amazon Basics (nor Warren's in house label Mag1 ftm) use titanium.

Now if I can just get a rebate on it, I'd run it in a heartbeat...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back