Used oil disposal technique from 1963

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Wow, not good. Although many years ago some people treated their homes for termites with it.

Ha we used to skip the post hole digger and find an ant pile. And we has well water from an aquifer about 80 feet down. Might splainze a few things.
smile.gif

Last edited:
There are bacteria in the soil that will slowly eat the oil. Used motor oil used to be popular for killing multi-floral rose, and dust control.

Rod

As a kid I remember a man with a pick up truck that had a spray boom mounted in the rear bumper area, and a large oil tank mounted in the bed. He would spray oil on dirt roads in our town to keep the dust down, especially in the summertime. The neighbors would each pay him a few dollars for the " service". All perfectly legal at the time, 1950's, and he stayed busy.

Last edited:
My dad said they used to pull up on the curb and let it go right down the sewer, im assuming the filters went down there also.

I'm old enough to remember when I was a kid and the townships used it to spray all the dirt sideroads to keep the dust at bay. My grandfather used to mix some used oil in with the diesel fuel for the diesel tractor he had and then put the rest in a big drum he had out back of the sheds. I'm guessing he had someone come by and pump it out when it would get full.

A fence that was installed by us in the seventies had its posts soaked in used motor oil first. That fence is still standing 40 some odd years later and no signs of rot.

Around the farm, all used oil was used up for other tasks.

Oiling roller chains, lubricating the sickle bar every morning, treating wood, killing weeds around buildings, etc.

Who among us really thought about the environment in the 1960's? Certainly not the auto makers or oil producers. I know I dumped used oil onto the clay soil on the family farm. We were on municipal water so who cared then?

But when there was a Sun Oil Company pipeline leak that contaminated the muni supply, THAT was a problem.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Around the farm, all used oil was used up for other tasks.

Oiling roller chains, lubricating the sickle bar every morning, treating wood, killing weeds around buildings, etc.

Yup all that plus filtered through a frantz type thing from barrel to barrel and cut with kerosene to run barn heaters.

UD

I remember they sprayed it on gravel roads to keep the dust down, and also used cinders & ash from the power plant for traction in winter. Would you like a little mercury with your dioxins!
eek.gif

My dad told me his colleagues used to change their oil at Rouge Park in Detroit. The car would straddle a swale at the side of the road, and the oil would be dumped on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back