Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.autonews.com/blogs/porsche-hopes-new-wet-mode-will-solve-911s-hydroplaning-problem

..."People drive too fast in the rain and are not aware of how close they are to the aquaplaning threshold," Morbitzer said, adding this was especially true for 911 customers......The best solution was to simply reduce speed and switch to the slow lane, but Porsche 911 drivers are not accustomed to this ...

...All new 911s will now come standard with a new safety system. Miniature microphone sensors analyze indirectly the intensity of the water on the road splashed up into the front wheel arches. Depending on the current speed, the vehicle can recommend the driver to activate the so-called "wet mode."

If activated, the vehicle starts to prepare itself for potential hydroplaning. Engine torque buildup is reduced, its distribution biased to the smaller front wheels for greater stability, and aero flaps open to create greater downforce. Actuating systems for safety features like Porsche stability management (PSM) and Porsche traction management (PTM) are lowered...

This tells me that Porsche is seeing a shift in the type of buyer for the 911. It's a buyer who's more interested in the panache of owning a 911 rather than actual driving of one.

27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
This tells me that Porsche is seeing a shift in the type of buyer for the 911. It's a buyer who's more interested in the panache of owning a 911 rather than actual driving of one.

27.gif

I think that same analogy can be applied to all the luxury brands.

My first thought on this was that it is a variation of a modern awd system used for this purpose but reading the article it is based on sound sensors in the wheel wells. The resulting effect is similar though.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
In other news a Porsche was passed by a Prius in a Thunderstorm...
Nothing more fun than being next to a Porsche or other "HP" car in a snowstorm-as long as they don't go sideways and hit you! Fortunately nanny traction control usually stops them (usually literally).

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

27.gif

1. Pretty sure panache has been more important than driving for a long time now.
2. It says what the shift was in the article: wider tires, more focus on dry performance.

This isn't about panache winning over driving. It's about people wanting bigger numbers rather than that make actual sense in the real world.

Another unneccesary safety device that will only raise insurance rates and increase repairs. All of this overengineering now is getting ridiculous.

Guys.

You all know this is a selectable mode, right?

Like... It's not a thing that's always on and impossible to defeat. It's a light that comes on sometimes, does literally nothing else unless you press the button, and then stops doing things the moment you press the button again.

I agree it shouldn't be necessary but you guys are whining like it's a horseman of the automotive apocalypse. Calm down.

Another thought... this could be another sensor introduced in anticipation of autonomous vehicles. It would field test new technology in real world situations, like the industry is doing with radar braking, self steering, and lane change technology. Porsche simply put a "we care about you" spin on this technology so they can smugly tout how they care about your safety.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Guys.

Like... It's not a thing that's always on and impossible to defeat. It's a light that comes on sometimes, does literally nothing else unless you press the button, and then stops doing things the moment you press the button again.

I agree it shouldn't be necessary but you guys are whining like it's a horseman of the automotive apocalypse. Calm down.

lol..ya but I suspect default mode is "active" just like traction control.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Another thought... this could be another sensor introduced in anticipation of autonomous vehicles. It would field test new technology in real world situations, like the industry is doing with radar braking, self steering, and lane change technology. Porsche simply put a "we care about you" spin on this technology so they can smugly tout how they care about your safety.

That's been one of the biggest questions so far. How well an autonomous motor vehicle know how to react to the weather and other driving conditions?

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Guys.

Exactly. Everyone here acting like the best drivers in the world, they don't need no stinkin safety nannies! Sure, not on your chrysler lebaron woody with 87hp
lol.gif

If activated, the vehicle starts to prepare itself for potential hydroplaning. Engine torque buildup is reduced, its distribution biased to the smaller front wheels for greater stability, and aero flaps open to create greater downforce. Actuating systems for safety features like Porsche stability management (PSM) and Porsche traction management (PTM) are lowered.

This is just cool tech. Is it something else to break? Yea probably. But its also on $100k plus cars not Kia's.

Originally Posted by Kestas

Good point. One of the scenarios I have questioned regarding autonomous vehicles is how they would react to black ice or similar slippery traction among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back