Recent Topics
Bank 1 on an Equinox
by Washoe_Mark. 03/20/19 08:47 AM
How do you pronounce the word Vehicle?
by ZZman. 03/20/19 08:21 AM
Inline Fuel Filter
by CCI. 03/20/19 08:08 AM
Are All Douglas Tires USA Made?
by Miller88. 03/20/19 07:30 AM
Turn signal bulbs for '15 BMW?
by Benzadmiral. 03/20/19 07:02 AM
Drain/refill vs diy flush?
by Back40. 03/20/19 05:59 AM
Valvoline 5w30 Synpower HSTS?
by avi1777. 03/20/19 05:05 AM
Castrol Edge 5W50 "Supercar Titanium FST"
by Berto. 03/20/19 02:43 AM
The power of reaching out
by SlavaB. 03/20/19 12:57 AM
Used brake fluid
by OilUzer. 03/19/19 11:26 PM
Look what I found
by deven. 03/19/19 11:23 PM
91 E-free, or 91 "up to 10%" for GDI?
by Ws6. 03/19/19 11:12 PM
Ford 2019 F350 oil
by arowbat. 03/19/19 11:04 PM
Royal purple discontinuing 30-1218 ?
by jmj540. 03/19/19 10:02 PM
Nissen Radiator Review
by zmelli. 03/19/19 09:01 PM
March madness
by gman2304. 03/19/19 08:36 PM
Shell Rotella T6 5W-30 Multi
by kstanf150. 03/19/19 08:21 PM
New Toyota Tacoma oil recommentation
by Moondawg. 03/19/19 08:11 PM
Which oil for modified turbo engine?
by headoff93. 03/19/19 08:02 PM
Newest Members
Saxman657, Maxxforce, Washoe_Mark, CG_BrianM, TBF
67565 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
98 registered members (aircooled, 3311, ABerns, Back40, arowbat, avi1777, 9 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 49 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics286,112
Posts4,902,798
Members67,565
Most Online2,967
Mar 10th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: SubLGT] #4972607
01/07/19 08:46 PM
01/07/19 08:46 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2,243
Parts Unknown
UG_Passat Offline
UG_Passat  Offline

Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2,243
Parts Unknown
So, Porsche didn't think to use the windshield wipers to active "wet mode", so instead, in typical German fashion, made things overly complicated?


2016 VW Tiguan|APR Stage 1|Neuspeed P-Flo|Osram CBI|Redline 5w30
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: UG_Passat] #4972625
01/07/19 09:03 PM
01/07/19 09:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 8,178
...
PimTac Offline
PimTac  Offline

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 8,178
...
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
So, Porsche didn't think to use the windshield wipers to active "wet mode", so instead, in typical German fashion, made things overly complicated?




This would have been a great way to activate the system automatically.

A driver can suddenly drive over a portion of road that does not drain well. So in that moment when you feel the car hydroplaning you reach for the button and activate the Wet Mode? It’s too late.

On the Mazda awd system, if the wipers are going and the temperature is 35F or lower the system assumes that the roads are icy or snow covered. Predictive systems are better in these situations.

Now I can understand somewhat why Porsche would not do this. It might take away from the performance.


Cannot see signatures any longer so it doesn’t matter.
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: fdcg27] #4972632
01/07/19 09:06 PM
01/07/19 09:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,550
PA
d00df00d Offline
d00df00d  Offline

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,550
PA
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by fdcg27
It's just that we've all experienced hydroplaning and this Porsche system seems unlikely to do much to ameliorate it.

How so?


Might just as well ask you how it will.
Seems as though it won't do much if anything.
Not a while lot that can be done to prevent hydroplaning in water more than a quarter inch or so in depth.

More downforce to increase ground pressure

Softer torque buildup and (for AWD) more front-biased power delivery to reduce the odds of sudden breakaway in the back

Lower activation threshold for stability and traction control for faster and more positive intervention


Seems pretty plausible to me.

No, it probably won't save a recklessly inattentive idiot doing 150 through deep standing water. And smoke detectors probably won't save you if you take too much Ambien while a toddler plays with a flamethrower downstairs. And chemo probably won't save you from stage IV pancreatic cancer. And a bulletproof vest probably won't save a cop from a bomb. So what?


2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: d00df00d] #4973533
01/08/19 07:48 PM
01/08/19 07:48 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16,475
OH
fdcg27 Offline
fdcg27  Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16,475
OH
Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by fdcg27
It's just that we've all experienced hydroplaning and this Porsche system seems unlikely to do much to ameliorate it.

How so?


Might just as well ask you how it will.
Seems as though it won't do much if anything.
Not a while lot that can be done to prevent hydroplaning in water more than a quarter inch or so in depth.

More downforce to increase ground pressure

Softer torque buildup and (for AWD) more front-biased power delivery to reduce the odds of sudden breakaway in the back

Lower activation threshold for stability and traction control for faster and more positive intervention


Seems pretty plausible to me.

No, it probably won't save a recklessly inattentive idiot doing 150 through deep standing water. And smoke detectors probably won't save you if you take too much Ambien while a toddler plays with a flamethrower downstairs. And chemo probably won't save you from stage IV pancreatic cancer. And a bulletproof vest probably won't save a cop from a bomb. So what?


More like an immeasurably small increase in downforce within the dimensional limitations of the aero aids that could be deployed and less power which the driver will defeat with his right foot when he sees the car slowing.
More drive to the front will accomplish nothing, since anyone with much FWD experience has seen the engine rev up in hydroplaning encounters. I know that I have.
The rest of your post is irredeemably silly and undeserving of any response.


18 Accord Hybrid FF
17 Forester 18K VME 0W-20
12 Accord LX 96K SSO 0W-20
09 Forester 95K M1HM 10W-30
01 Focus ZX3 118K PP 5W-20
96 Accord LX 104K T5 10W-30
95 318i
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: SubLGT] #4973539
01/08/19 07:55 PM
01/08/19 07:55 PM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,719
Toronto
PeterPolyol Offline
PeterPolyol  Offline

Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,719
Toronto
Seems like Porsche engineers were looking for a practical use for their 'wet tires' microphone sensor rather than looking for (yet) another way to detect wet roads for the purpose of fiddling with ESC and aero settings. The method to determine wet tires is indeed clever, but also pretty useless. 2cents


There's no replacement...'scosity for natural viscosity
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: fdcg27] #4973661
01/08/19 09:28 PM
01/08/19 09:28 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,550
PA
d00df00d Offline
d00df00d  Offline

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,550
PA
Originally Posted by fdcg27
More like an immeasurably small increase in downforce within the dimensional limitations of the aero aids that could be deployed and less power which the driver will defeat with his right foot when he sees the car slowing.
More drive to the front will accomplish nothing, since anyone with much FWD experience has seen the engine rev up in hydroplaning encounters.

Not less power. Less abrupt power onset.

Is there seriously not a bone in your body that says "this doesn't seem to me like it'd work, but Porsche obviously knows what they're doing, so maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt"? Or do you think you're perceptive enough to read one third-party article and conclude that some of the best engineers in the world are producing something with no merit whatsoever?

The rest of my post was analogy. The fact that something doesn't save you from the worst possible scenario doesn't mean it's useless.


2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: SubLGT] #4973815
01/09/19 01:46 AM
01/09/19 01:46 AM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 19,328
Sunny Florida
SteveSRT8 Offline
SteveSRT8  Offline

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 19,328
Sunny Florida
Nope, not useless, just a bit excessive IMO.

Just as ABS can't stop you when there is no traction on ice, this setup won't save an idjit driver. Another great example of too many electronic nannies which may give aforementioned idjit a false sense of confidence.


"In a democracy, dissent is an act of faith."
J. William Fulbright
Best ET-12.79 @ 111 mph
4340 pounds, Street tires
Just like we go to Publix
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: d00df00d] #4975375
01/10/19 06:33 PM
01/10/19 06:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16,475
OH
fdcg27 Offline
fdcg27  Offline

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16,475
OH
Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by fdcg27
More like an immeasurably small increase in downforce within the dimensional limitations of the aero aids that could be deployed and less power which the driver will defeat with his right foot when he sees the car slowing.
More drive to the front will accomplish nothing, since anyone with much FWD experience has seen the engine rev up in hydroplaning encounters.

Not less power. Less abrupt power onset.

Is there seriously not a bone in your body that says "this doesn't seem to me like it'd work, but Porsche obviously knows what they're doing, so maybe I should give them the benefit of the doubt"? Or do you think you're perceptive enough to read one third-party article and conclude that some of the best engineers in the world are producing something with no merit whatsoever?

The rest of my post was analogy. The fact that something doesn't save you from the worst possible scenario doesn't mean it's useless.



I suspect that the Porsche folks have come up with the best solution they could for a difficult problem.
The quality of their engineers is debatable, since cost no object engineering isn't all that hard.
Whether this setup will actually do anything would require that you drive a car so equipped in the prolonged heavy rain conditions that typically bring hydroplaning events.
Would this system do something?
Maybe.
Would it eliminate hydroplaning at moderate highway speeds?
I doubt it.
Been their, experienced it even on good tires and while I found hydroplaning to be a quickly over with non-event, I know I didn't like it.


18 Accord Hybrid FF
17 Forester 18K VME 0W-20
12 Accord LX 96K SSO 0W-20
09 Forester 95K M1HM 10W-30
01 Focus ZX3 118K PP 5W-20
96 Accord LX 104K T5 10W-30
95 318i
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: SubLGT] #4975383
01/10/19 06:39 PM
01/10/19 06:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 8,178
...
PimTac Offline
PimTac  Offline

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 8,178
...
A good example would be driving on grooved pavement in heavy rain. I would wonder if the system would detect the different sound pattern of grooved pavement vs regular pavement?

In the places around here that utilize grooved pavement I drive with caution. They say it’s for better drainage but I think there is reduced contact between tire and pavement. Add heavy rain and it’s a mess.


Cannot see signatures any longer so it doesn’t matter.
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: fdcg27] #4975419
01/10/19 07:20 PM
01/10/19 07:20 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,550
PA
d00df00d Offline
d00df00d  Offline

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,550
PA
Originally Posted by fdcg27
The quality of their engineers is debatable, since cost no object engineering isn't all that hard.

Would Porsche as profitable as it is if cost were no object? I don't think so.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Would this system do something?
Maybe.
Would it eliminate hydroplaning at moderate highway speeds?
I doubt it.

They don't claim it eliminates anything. They just claim it helps, which I think you'd agree is pretty plausible.


2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: PimTac] #4975441
01/10/19 07:38 PM
01/10/19 07:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,550
PA
d00df00d Offline
d00df00d  Offline

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11,550
PA
Originally Posted by PimTac
A good example would be driving on grooved pavement in heavy rain. I would wonder if the system would detect the different sound pattern of grooved pavement vs regular pavement?

In the places around here that utilize grooved pavement I drive with caution. They say it’s for better drainage but I think there is reduced contact between tire and pavement. Add heavy rain and it’s a mess.

Grooved pavement does reduce contact area but it also drastically increases ground pressure. Net result is less grip in most conditions, but far less risk of hydroplaning in very heavy rain.

Overall, I don't like it, either -- though I see the argument for it in some cases.


2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT
Re: Porsche "Wet Mode" to Reduce Hydroplaning [Re: SubLGT] #4976294
01/11/19 05:04 PM
01/11/19 05:04 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 381
California
DGXR Offline
DGXR  Offline

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 381
California
It seems there is no end to the nannies.
Lane departure... the car steers for you.
Automatic Braking... ugh.
Drowsy stopper... vibrates seat and steering wheel... wake up dummy! Wow.
Even the low fuel warning light... umm... it has a fuel gauge, right?
The auto industry is actively working on more ways to protect us from ourselves. And most of all, let us remember that we did this to ourselves.
At what point will we realize we all have ADD and we simply aren't able to watch the road anymore, and we all should be in autonomous vehicles?
Like the article that says we should put something important in the back seat to remind us that our kids are back there. Yes, we are doing this to ourselves.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Mine has a system that can be transferred from car to car it's called "My Right Foot" it works wonderfully especially when connected to the optional "Common Sense" application, that makes it foolproof !


*sigh* I miss the good old days... smart, courteous driving and common sense are GONE.


1995 Corvette coupe LT1 6-speed
2006 Tacoma 2.7 Base SR5 AC
1999 Yamaha YZ400FL
2003 Honda XR400R
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™