Lookie what I found at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Pint bottle of GF5 10w-30 oil with a foil seal! Not bad for top-offs I reckon.

Another great Greenbrier product.

20190102_181721.jpg

20190102_181746.jpg

For $1.00?

Thought the post was going to be about leftover 2017 BITOG calendars with the exclusive monthly centers of used and uncapped oil filters displaying those wavy pleats and over-glued end caps.

I've been to that area in Chesapeake.... Right off Volvo Rd... Like right there. Strange it says made south of the border.... Weird.

I guess it is good given has the starburst and API SN donut... So it likely is legit oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
A better thing would be to grab a $14 OA kit from NAPA and send off a sample. I'd be willing to bet it's not everything it seems...

Also, who the F buys motor oil by the pint?!?
lol.gif

I missed it being a pint. Sharp eyes Subie.

I wonder if PQIA would be interested in this? I bet they would.

I just looked up Greenbrier international and its reviews are garbage.... Like 2.2 stars out of 5. With a crude ton of 1 star reviews... On all types of products... Balloons, shave cream, razors etc etc... No mention of this oil.

I bet this oil is potentially way better than those other products. Especially if the starburst and API SN approvals are actually good.

Last edited:
PQIA already tested their 14 ounce bottle of 50/50 coolant and found it acceptable.

who the F buys motor oil by the pint?!?
lol.gif

I got a pint of Dollar Tree oil for my lawn mower
smile.gif

14 ounce bottle of 50/50 coolant?
Is there a small liquid-cooled engine popular with DT shoppers?

Originally Posted by spackard

My experience is DT shoppers are frugal or poor. I shop there a lot with my job to save some money for people on a fixed income.

The 14 ounce bottle of 50/50 may be perfect for top off.

It's good for topping off because it's only $1 and you don't have to buy a big jug of it
smile.gif

Even buying 8 of them it comes out be a little over $8 for a gallon, not a bad deal at all

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

It's good for topping off because it's only $1 and you don't have to buy a big jug of it
smile.gif

Even buying 8 of them it comes out be a little over $8 for a gallon, not a bad deal at all

I'd totally buy pint size - if only because cars in India follow the metric spec so you're looking at a 4 liter oil fill for a typical sedan, and say Mobil ships in 1 gallon (~ 3.7 liter) jugs. I end up having to buy either buy a quart or another gallon and keep it in storage - no biggie except I live in a shoebox apartment that I can't make myself move out of, I bought it because of its location. So, storage space for extra oil is kinda at a premium ..

A better thing would be to grab a $14 OA kit from NAPA and send off a sample. I'd be willing to bet it's not everything it seems...

Also, who the F buys motor oil by the pint?!?
lol.gif

What are you willing to bet? It is at least acceptable it is really not very much money to blend a API SN PCMO.

Isn't piece of mind worth something when a replacement engine is going to cost $3-7k or more? Cheap is fine, Supertech and Valvoline conventional is still good oil from major refiners who aren't going to risk putting out a product that will destroy your engine because unlike "Drivers Choice" they cannot just declare bankruptcy and set up shop under a new name a few weeks later.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Isn't piece of mind worth something when a replacement engine is going to cost $3-7k or more? Cheap is fine, Supertech and Valvoline conventional is still good oil from major refiners who aren't going to risk putting out a product that will destroy your engine because unlike "Drivers Choice" they cannot just declare bankruptcy and set up shop under a new name a few weeks later.

You realize blending and bottling a pint of API SN 10W30 is quite a bit of less than $1? The base oil and additive package is bought in bulk. The testing has been done and the formulation is already approved. It really is not expensive and it's easy to do.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I've been to that area in Chesapeake.... Right off Volvo Rd... Like right there. Strange it says made south of the border.... Weird.
"Distributed by" and where a product is produced are two entirely different things.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I guess it is good given has the starburst and API SN donut... So it likely is legit oil.
Waiting for someone to suggest it's counterfeit or they're using those designations 'illegally' !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back