:::2013 Hyundai Elantra owner travels 1 million miles with original powertrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does say 5 years. I'm changing my vote. I'm calling complete 💩 on this story. I believe the part about the car making a million in 5 years, but the rest of the story is a fabrication.

There's multiple drivers keeping this thing going, or some either side to this story that isn't coming out. Either there's positively no established corporate transport networks in Kansas, or this is science fiction. I even sent a couple of actual couriers who operate out of private cars a link to the story and they just laughed.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I'm hearing a lot of "this is impossible" comments in this thread.. and I'm also seeing a lot of "math" that seems to be assuming very.. questionable.. figures.

So, based on a 6-year old car, here are the figures I've come up with:

As mentioned above, the article states 5 years.

And as was also mentioned above and in the other thread it's posduble this car is 6 years old since the owner may have purchased the car in 2012. Model years come out early for most brands.

A good gesture by Hyundai, giving her a brand new 2019 Elantra

Originally Posted by PimTac
And as was also mentioned above and in the other thread it's posduble this car is 6 years old since the owner may have purchased the car in 2012. Model years come out early for most brands.

A good gesture by Hyundai, giving her a brand new 2019 Elantra

When the articles and the videos keep repeating five years why some of you insist on conjuring up that it might be from 2012? I know it makes this claim slightly more believable to some of you, but if you trust Hyundai marketing this much, you have to take it all as fact, no cherry picking. Two separate Hyundai adds, both mention five years.

While watching the local news yesterday, there was a quick bit talking about how easy it is to change the odometer on a lot of cars, they just plug something into the service port and key in the mileage they want the display to read. Obviously if you can set the mileage to a lower amount, then you could also set it to a higher amount.....

Originally Posted by Patman
While watching the local news yesterday, there was a quick bit talking about how easy it is to change the odometer on a lot of cars, they just plug something into the service port and key in the mileage they want the display to read. Obviously if you can set the mileage to a lower amount, then you could also set it to a higher amount.....

But what's the incentive to do so?

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
The incentive to hit a million miles? New free car, duh. To ad miles, tax deduction.

Risk an audit from the IRS for claiming 200,000 miles a year driving? All for a new Elantra?
crackmeup2.gif

All the major car magazines have reported it, and according to Car And Driver, Hyundai inspected the car and found it to be true.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25645830/hyundai-elantra-million-miles/

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
The incentive to hit a million miles? New free car, duh. To ad miles, tax deduction.

Risk an audit from the IRS for claiming 200,000 miles a year driving? All for a new Elantra?
crackmeup2.gif

All the major car magazines have reported it, and according to Car And Driver, Hyundai inspected the car and found it to be true.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25645830/hyundai-elantra-million-miles/

I wouldn't sweat it. Obviously most people aren't smart enough to suspect it.

That much time behind the wheel of an Elantra?!?!?! Yeah they are great cars but the rentals I have had for longish trips (7-8 hours) my back was absolutely killing me by hour 5 and I was in severe pain by hour 7. Hope she has a good chiropractor.

FWIW as a long haul truck driver the most I ever did in a year was 160K miles. That's not running even remotely legal; back "in the day" when companies encouraged you to use 2 log books, loose leaf, etc. I would take my vacations and valued my time off, though. This lady would have to work every day for 5 years for that to be possible. To do that many miles in a Hyundai would have to be close to being in [censored].

Last edited:
Truck drivers drive slow and have to weight for loads and for loads to be loaded and unloaded. Long lines for fuel. Hours are regulated etc.

Totally do-able.

One person makes 1 million miles in a little compact car doing deliveries over as little as 5 years. Lol.
Only reasonable explanation IMO is that vehicle worked double shifts being operated by at least two (likely more) persons.

Also, it is really strange that someone would use passenger car instead a professional vehicle like a small furgon or van for a delivery work. It is not that one can fit much in the trunk of that Hyundai. Not to mention that it looks unprofessional.

I can believe it. I used to work at an oncology pharmacy that would deliver drugs every day based in Tampa. The had routes that went from Tampa to Miami, Jacksonville and Tallahassee. Most of those cars saw over 200k a year, some significantly more. They never kept them past 400k and some went earlier if the repairs started getting to high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ

Totally do-able.

For sure, lots of things look doable from behind a computer screen.

Jokes on you, I haven't logged into BITOG from a computer in probably a year.
crackmeup2.gif

I also work for the largest trucking company in the world.

Totally do-able.

crackmeup2.gif

Really? So with the electronic log books the drivers in your company routinely do 200k miles a year? Please do tell.

Totally do-able.

crackmeup2.gif

Really? So with the electronic log books the drivers in your company routinely do 200k miles a year? Please do tell.
Maybe you should read my post again? Here, I'll quote it:

Truck drivers drive slow and have to weight for loads and for loads to be loaded and unloaded. Long lines for fuel. Hours are regulated etc.

Silverado12 had just basically said it isn't really possible since truck drivers don't even do that.

So I then said I think it is possible since cars drive faster than trucks, and they have to wait for fuel and loads, as well as limited driving time.

Since that's out of the equation, it's quite a bit easier.

Long haul truckers also have long hauls. What are the chances that a person delivering auto parts and miscellaneous goes as far between pickups and dropoffs as a long haul trucker?

Auto parts pickups and deliveries are not a "kick it out and keep moving" process either.

The mileage alone is the least dubious part. The nature of the loads, the single independent contractor driver, and the amount of time reached are what's suspicious.

I wonder if her claim she did all those miles herself is a necessity of having claimed all those miles for herself on her taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back