:::Ceramic Or Semi Metallic Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDL

My Wife is the primary driver of a 2008 Impala LT. For whatever reason, she's a little heavy on her brakes, and we have issues with her rotors warping.

She's currently using a set of Raybestos semi metallic pads which aren't over impressive in braking performance, and they produce an unbelievable amount of dust.

I want to migrate over to Bosch pads; my choices are ceramic pads, or severe duty pads which are metallic. I prefer the ceramic pads as they produce less dust.

The car weighs around 3,700 pounds; the brake setup is 4 wheel disk. Do y'all think that I can go with the ceramic pads? Also, is there any difference in the pad's ability to dissipate temperature, between metallic or ceramic, or is this a non issue?

Thanks for your time

1. Make her help with the next brake job. This seems to "help" the heavy brakers.

2. I'd either go with OEM (real GM parts, not the cheap grade AC-Delco) or Powerstop Products.

I have not had great luck with Parts Store brake components lasting or holding up under heavy use.

Does she ride her brakes? Maybe talk to her or she how she drives. Bosch pads are surprisingly good, I've used parts house reboxes of their QuietCast pads on a friend's Subaru and he said they stopped fine without noise. I'm not a Wagner fan, but for friends with American cars, I've had luck with ThermoQuiets on a Ford and Chevy truck.

GM did spec two grades of brakes, the cop cars got the heavy-duty brakes and metallic pads. Ceramics offer better initial feel and more consistent braking, if friction ratings are to be believed they can hold up to more heat before brake fade sets in. In her case, the ceramics would be the better pick. I'd stick to OEM GM rotors, ACDelco Durastop or Centric 120/125 rotors.

Originally Posted by thooks
1. Make her help with the next brake job. This seems to "help" the heavy brakers.

2. I'd either go with OEM (real GM parts, not the cheap grade AC-Delco) or Powerstop Products.

I have not had great luck with Parts Store brake components lasting or holding up under heavy use.

Make her. Pretty funny,

Originally Posted by thooks

Originally Posted by nthach
Does she ride her brakes? Maybe talk to her or she how she drives. Bosch pads are surprisingly good, I've used parts house reboxes of their QuietCast pads on a friend's Subaru and he said they stopped fine without noise. I'm not a Wagner fan, but for friends with American cars, I've had luck with ThermoQuiets on a Ford and Chevy truck.

GM did spec two grades of brakes, the cop cars got the heavy-duty brakes and metallic pads. Ceramics offer better initial feel and more consistent braking, if friction ratings are to be believed they can hold up to more heat before brake fade sets in. In her case, the ceramics would be the better pick. I'd stick to OEM GM rotors, ACDelco Durastop or Centric 120/125 rotors.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
I always preferred semi or metallic pads for heavier vehicles.

First, I thank you all for your time. Second, without getting into it, my Wife is handicapped, and while I have not noticed any abnormal driving behavior/driving characteristics, I wonder if she might be pressing the brake pedal a little harder than need be. This cannot be helped, unfortunately.

For those who prefer OEM, I might add that the stock ACDELCO pads are ceramic. We're currently running ACDELCO rotors.

Again, I thank you all for the great feedback
smile.gif

Last edited:
Highest Grade OEM you can get. Case in point, I just found out Toyota has 2 grades of brake pads. Gotta be careful what you buy off eBay and Amazon.

Quit using parts store brands 30 years ago....

Akebono ProACT and EBC Ultimax are the best choices. Akebono also makes their high-performance ASP pads for your Impala, and they are also a good choice. You can still get the OE pads for your Impala as well.

For rotors, get either EBC plain rotors, Wagner E-coated, Centric Premium, or the ACDelco GM OE rotors

GM FWD cars warp easily. Soft suspension and heavy curb weight aren't kind on the rotors. I got my car at 17.6k miles and rotors were warped when I got it.

Only thing that would fix the issue would be the F Body twin piston caliper (need the mounting brackets too) upgrade or a good set of drilled/slotted rotors and pads.

Last edited:
I know you said your not a fan of Raybestos but you might want to check our their EHT element3 pads, they are semi metallic and ceramic.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Highest Grade OEM you can get. Case in point, I just found out Toyota has 2 grades of brake pads. Gotta be careful what you buy off eBay and Amazon.

Quit using parts store brands 30 years ago....

Excellent info; thanks. As for store brands, I much agree; years ago, aftermarket were sometimes of better quality of OEM; nowadays, it's the other way around - and it's scary.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Akebono ProACT and EBC Ultimax are the best choices. Akebono also makes their high-performance ASP pads for your Impala, and they are also a good choice. You can still get the OE pads for your Impala as well.

For rotors, get either EBC plain rotors, Wagner E-coated, Centric Premium, or the ACDelco GM OE rotors

Much appreciate the reply, and I am glad to hear y'all speak of Centric so highly (I am a brand shopper, when I find that a brand is good)

Originally Posted by Hemispheres
GM FWD cars warp easily. Soft suspension and heavy curb weight aren't kind on the rotors. I got my car at 17.6k miles and rotors were warped when I got it.

Only thing that would fix the issue would be the F Body twin piston caliper (need the mounting brackets too) upgrade or a good set of drilled/slotted rotors and pads.

Appreciate the insights; we've had the car for awhile, and it's been hard making sense of this. Glad that it's more the car, than us.

Originally Posted by diyjake
I know you said your not a fan of Raybestos but you might want to check our their EHT element3 pads, they are semi metallic and ceramic.

Appreciate the recommendation. As someone else mentioned, take note that one manufacturer has several grades of products; perhaps the better grade Raybestos pads will be a lot more to my liking

Originally Posted by NDL
Do y'all think that I can go with the ceramic pads?

If brake pad manufacturers offer ceramic pads for the vehicle in question, you can go with ceramic pads. They'll stop the car just fine. When people talk about metallic or semi-metallic pads stop "better" or faster than ceramic, the average driver is unlikely to ever feel or notice a difference.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by NDL
Do y'all think that I can go with the ceramic pads?

If brake pad manufacturers offer ceramic pads for the vehicle in question, you can go with ceramic pads. They'll stop the car just fine. When people talk about metallic or semi-metallic pads stop "better" or faster than ceramic, the average driver is unlikely to ever feel or notice a difference.

That's appreciated, thanks

Out of all recommended pads I would go with Akebono ProACT or Raybestos EHT element3 pads, these are awesome pads for the money. They both have very good reviews.

Rotors don't warp

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1787

start over with new rotors & pads properly installed , break in the pads per mfg.- uneven pad transfer is what you are feeling- not warping
There is a lot to a quality brake job, not just changing parts. Clean & lube any part that has to move (if any)
such as caliper sliders etc. Clean rotor or hub mounting surfaces etc. Inspect calipers for stuck pistons & more.

Watch video & read below- pad makers want you to follow instructions - it's important

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/how-to-bed-in-brake-pads

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 928
Rotors don't warp

start over with new rotors & pads properly installed , break in the pads per mfg.- uneven pad transfer is what you are feeling- not warping
There is a lot to a quality brake job, not just changing parts. Clean & lube any part that has to move (if any)
such as caliper sliders etc. Clean rotor or hub mounting surfaces etc. Inspect calipers for stuck pistons & more.

Watch video & read below- pad makers want you to follow instructions - it's important

I learned something, thanks for that link
smile.gif

In our 05 Avalon, I replaced the OEM pads and rotors with Akebono ProAct Ceramics and EBC slotted rotors since my wife sits in stop and go traffic everyday.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Out of all recommended pads I would go with Akebono ProACT or Raybestos EHT element3 pads, these are awesome pads for the money. They both have very good reviews.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Originally Posted by 928
Rotors don't warp

At first glance, I thought: "How can he say that?" until I read the below reminder of something I once knew:

"...The root cause of the uneven wear is one of two things: either the rotor was installed out-of-true with the hub, or the tire was improperly torqued to the hub during the last tire change..."

A shop that I once used and trusted, was fanatical about hand torquing wheel lugs - for this very reason alone (and I never had an issue for as long as I used that shop).

Thanks for the links (and for the reminder :))!

Originally Posted by anndel
In our 05 Avalon, I replaced the OEM pads and rotors with Akebono ProAct Ceramics and EBC slotted rotors since my wife sits in stop and go traffic everyday.

Appreciate the helpful, positive, feedback. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back