It Might Be Time For a New Anode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the anode in my 5yo water heater today with a powered anode. I think I got everything out of it.

3CCF54EE-DB41-4F57-AFDD-7B8A03A3DC27.jpeg

I replaced a 10+ year old anode that was probably aluminum that had no deterioration at all, just some scale. Replaced it with a sausage link magnesium one.

Tell me about water heater anodes at all. I am not familiar. Is this just for electric water heaters? Cause I'm 18 years in on my water heater and have never touched an anode.

All water heaters should have one. Once the anode is gone water heater will leak shortly after.

I've never replaced one, primarily because I only learned about them about 10 years ago. Because the water heater is in a basement with low ceilings (floor joists) I had thought it'd be a bear to replace until I heard about the kind with "links" (like the sausage type referenced previously). I replaced a leaking heater a couple of years ago and once I had the old one was out of service, I decided to remove the anode. I never did manage to get it unscrewed although I didn't resort to using an impact on it. My question is this: because they put them in so dang tight, is there any risk in damage when removing them with such high torque? I'd hate to destroy the heater if only checking to see how much wear has occurred.

Originally Posted by Touring5
I've never replaced one, primarily because I only learned about them about 10 years ago. Because the water heater is in a basement with low ceilings (floor joists) I had thought it'd be a bear to replace until I heard about the kind with "links" (like the sausage type referenced previously). I replaced a leaking heater a couple of years ago and once I had the old one was out of service, I decided to remove the anode. I never did manage to get it unscrewed although I didn't resort to using an impact on it. My question is this: because they put them in so dang tight, is there any risk in damage when removing them with such high torque? I'd hate to destroy the heater if only checking to see how much wear has occurred.

The thing to do is remove the anode from a water heater when the water heater is new, before you ever install the water heater, it will be much easier to get out and deal with at that time. Then, if the water heater is being installed in a location where there is minimal overhead room, install a flexible anode (the kind with "links") right then, and don't put it in tight. The anode should be checked/replaced every 2 to 4 years. If you install a powered anode, this is a once-and-done proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back