Toyota 5.7L, 0w-20 noisy, STP to thicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 69Torino
Or Hyundai Santa Fe piston slaps on Mobil 1, but doesn't on Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife. I'm only using Mobil 1 right now because I got it on Autozone clearance.
Then it probably doesn't slap. Piston slap is the result of excessive piston to bore clearance, which no oil is going to magically rectify unless they come with a set of pistons closer to the diameter of the bores.

Correct. My old Honda has noticeable piston slap and the choice of oil or viscosity has no influence on the noise whatsoever.

Maybe it's a rod bearing then.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Or Hyundai Santa Fe piston slaps on Mobil 1, but doesn't on Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife. I'm only using Mobil 1 right now because I got it on Autozone clearance.
Then it probably doesn't slap. Piston slap is the result of excessive piston to bore clearance, which no oil is going to magically rectify unless they come with a set of pistons closer to the diameter of the bores.

Correct. My old Honda has noticeable piston slap and the choice of oil or viscosity has no influence on the noise whatsoever.

Maybe it's a rod bearing then.
smile.gif

That would tend to get louder as the oil thinned, generally. Could be chain slap from a sticky tensioner, could be bled down HLA (if so equipped), it could be a myriad of things really.

I don't understand. I just purchased a new 2019 Toyota Tundra and it has this same engine. It has 0w20 in it from the factory. I have no odd sounds at all. Dead silent, buttery smooth. Is this something that happens as this engine ages? If my 5.7 doesn't make any weird sound with 0w20, then why does yours? Doesn't make sense unless it is an age thing, right?

Wouldn't it be odd if you stuck to 0w20 and recomended 10k oil changes exclusively and your smooth running fine mechanical engine developed chain noise in30k miles?

Originally Posted by ChevyMan2015
I don't understand. I just purchased a new 2019 Toyota Tundra and it has this same engine. It has 0w20 in it from the factory. I have no odd sounds at all. Dead silent, buttery smooth. Is this something that happens as this engine ages? If my 5.7 doesn't make any weird sound with 0w20, then why does yours? Doesn't make sense unless it is an age thing, right?

Last edited:
I hope you are trolling with the gear oil in the engine to thicken up the 0w20 question. Do not do that.

Do look into Castrol magnatec 5 or 10w30, Mobil 1 HM 10w30 of Mobil 1 0w40.

Originally Posted by LS_Powah
Picked up a used Toyota Tundra Platinum with a high mileage 5.7L 3UR-FE. This truck has over 150,000 miles going between Arizona and the pacific northwest (snowbird) and looks nearly new. It will *not* be a daily driver; just when I need a truck. Toyota.com online service history shows great dealer service visits, mileage, and dates. Toyota wants 0w20 syn in this four cam motor, and is OK with 5w20 syn with their VVTi system. I changed the oil first time after my new to me purchase and used 8+ quarts (yes it specs 8) Mobil 1 0w20. Those four cams are super noisy with 0w till it warms up...even starting at 70F. It was cold dead silent upon purchase and right up until I changed the oil. It is not uncommon to put 5w30 in these trucks, so that is what I suspect was in it. I live in Idaho, so teens/rarely single digits cold, but not Alaska cold. 5w will flow down to -30C, we likely won't hit -10C, so I got no problem going to 5w20.

I will definitely change to M1 5w20 HM next OCI.

So here is my question. I want to thicken this brand new 0w20 to cut the cold start noise (and cold start wear). It went from dead silent when cold, to a four cam rattle trap after M1 0w20 was put in (OEM Toyota oil filter). I was thinking STP Synthetic oil treatment or a bit of M1 80w90 gear oil. What say the group?

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Wouldn't it be odd if you stuck to 0w20 and recomended 10k oil changes exclusively and your smooth running fine mechanical engine developed chain noise in30k miles?

I don't know...would it be odd? My recommended OCI from Toyota is 5,000, not 10,000 because I have the FFV engine. I don't understand your comment. Are you implying that my engine will develop chain noise in 30,000 miles if I use the proper oil weight that Toyota engineers recommend? If so, can you link to some evidence of this, please. I'd be interested in reading it. Or is this just your opinion?

I can but I won't rob you of the process of doing your own research on timing chain wear and causes. I am not a librarian and won't waste time countering appeals to authority.
If you are concerned and curious you can search about timing chain wear/elongation and it's critical causal factors and what is being done about it.

I don't know...would it be odd? My recommended OCI from Toyota is 5,000, not 10,000 because I have the FFV engine. I don't understand your comment. Are you implying that my engine will develop chain noise in 30,000 miles if I use the proper oil weight that Toyota engineers recommend? If so, can you link to some evidence of this, please. I'd be interested in reading it. Or is this just your opinion?

I can but I won't rob you of the process of doing your own research on timing chain wear and causes. I am not a librarian and won't waste time countering appeals to authority.
If you are concerned and curious you can search about timing chain wear/elongation and it's critical causal factors and what is being done about it.

I don't know you, so I can't say if you are an authority or not. Convince me. I also am asking legitimate questions, so your attitude seems a bit short. Whatever. Thanks for letting me know specifically what to Google. I did so. Nowhere that I found said anything about using 0w20 oil as the problem. It says using oil that that is not what the manufacturer suggests and not doing proper oil change intervals as the manufacturer suggests as the cause.

I use the oil my manufacturer suggests and I follow the suggested oil change interval as well. Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
The 0w20 is not going to cause chain wear. The inherent fear of thin oil amongst some throws common sense to the side.

Today's modern oils are very good. The only reason I would go with a 5w30 in your Tundra would be if you were constantly hauling loads or towing a lot. Occasional work is fine for 0w20. Changing it at 5k is a good idea.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The 0w20 is not going to cause chain wear. The inherent fear of thin oil amongst some throws common sense to the side.

Today's modern oils are very good. The only reason I would go with a 5w30 in your Tundra would be if you were constantly hauling loads or towing a lot. Occasional work is fine for 0w20. Changing it at 5k is a good idea.

Thank you for the information. I don't haul or tow like many...I might haul furniture to help a friend move or trash to the dump...and I use 4x4 if it snows, which is about once a year. I think I will stick with the TGMO 0w20.

I use the oil my manufacturer suggests and I follow the suggested oil change interval as well. Thanks for the information.

It has been discussed on BITOG That some manufacturers, Ford for one, are moving from Xw-20 oils and extended oil changes to 5w-30 and 5k mile oil changes to combat timing chain wear. This is exasperated by TGDI because of the soot in the oil. I don't know if this is a "fix" for a manufacturing issue but I would probably trust Toyota and keep what you are doing.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

It has been discussed on BITOG That some manufacturers, Ford for one, are moving from Xw-20 oils and extended oil changes to 5w-30 and 5k mile oil changes to combat timing chain wear.

Thanks for the information! Is this just being talked about or do any of the new model vehicles from these manufactures now spec 5,000/5w30 that specd' 0w20 and longer OCI in previous year models?

Chevyman 2015
I am really no authority, this is not my profession, I do depend on my vehicles operating reliably in severe applications and have developed additional barriers to prevent possible issues in the long run. (Air filters and monitoring connections is just as important.)
My position is that 0w20 is adequate for the Toyota applications with port injection for the useful life of the vehicle. However, you may reduce the chances of timing chain wear with age and miles by using a higher viscosity especially if you operate in severe conditions such as extreme heat, dusty, muddy or rough roads, towing, or high speed highway driving(I hit most if not all of all of those regularly during a service cycle)
Right now both my Toyota's have their Toyota care Winterfill of 0w20. In a couple of weeks when I return from work in west Texas I wil have 5k on the current oil fill and I will be installing Mobil 1 0w40 into the Tacoma. (I run 6mo or 5k miles) as I am doing a lot of 80-85 mph driving a 700 mile round trip, in what will soon be triple digit temperatures driving to and from west Texas from New Braunfels. Running the 0w20 provided with the new vehicle just helps with more frequent oil changes.
The Tacoma has DS4 injection so I am also concerned about abrasive soot while I am less concerned with the 4 runner with a more conventional engine, but will be running it on 5W30 to 0w40 on oil changes I do myself.

Enjoy the Tundra, it's a good truck!

Just by way of my own personal experience, Hy-Per Lube ZRA has quieted the two vehicles I run it in.

Bryanccfshr,

Thank you for that information. I appreciate it. Just out of curiosity, why are you running 0w40 in your application?

In an engine calling for a 20 grade oil which is noisy I see no downside to trying a 30 grade oil, zero downside in fact. That's what I'd be doing if it were out of warranty, or if it were in warranty and the dealer told me the typical "it's normal" cop-out we often hear with noise or oil consumption issues.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
In an engine calling for a 20 grade oil which is noisy I see no downside to trying a 30 grade oil, zero downside in fact. That's what I'd be doing if it were out of warranty, or if it were in warranty and the dealer told me the typical "it's normal" cop-out we often hear with noise or oil consumption issues.

Some of us have a very quiet engine running on 0w20. It must be the engine, not the oil.

Bryanccfshr,

Thank you for that information. I appreciate it. Just out of curiosity, why are you running 0w40 in your application?

Multiple reasons [/list]
  • Toyota specifically states in its owners manuals that under certain operating conditions a higher viscosity may be suited. Such as the vehicle is used at high speeds or high load situations.

Example of this to me are cartoon carriers at highway speeds, high speed highways (greater than 70-75 mph)
    Or towing of a trailer that causes the engine to remain in a lower gear at highway speeds.

Additional recommendations can be found in certain (Toyota)owners manuals with temperature/viscosity charts. Recommendations can range from 0w20 to 15w40.

Much of my mileage is highway @80+mph. (West Texas I 10)

Additionally while driving in temperatures north of 110 in the summer.

Do some trailering and off-road driving.

The 0w40 starts off with an HTHS of 3.6 which is a much stronger hydrodynamic strength than the 0w20s and hydrodynamic lubrication regime Is the near zero wear state for bearings. (That is basically the best reason)

I experience no mileage or performance losses compared to the 0w20 (high temperatures and longer trips I am sure)
    and I am not breaking warranty requirements as long as I stick to severe service schedule when selecting higher viscosity oils.

Mobil 1 0w40 is not perfect, I don't like how many VIIs are in it, however it's,HTHS, formulation and approvals fit my needs at agood price(less than 20 bucks a 5qt jug when I look for sales.)

Basically I am looking for quality oils with an HTHS of around 3.5 for my harder driving months and change it at 5k. Just like the 0w20 I use in cooler, less intense and more domestic months.

I have 173k miles on my 2007, using 0w20. I think 0w20 is fine, at least for me.

Unless you know how the engine sounded since new, you can't say it is noisy. If you want to run a 5w30 synthetic, go for it, no harm done. See if it changes anything. If not, well, whatever. Run 0w20 and forget it then, or continue with a 30 weight. Does not matter, its in your mind.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Some of us have a very quiet engine running on 0w20. It must be the engine, not the oil.

Yes it might just be the engine, fortunately I don't have these issues. But if the engine is running fine, has no consumption issues, and good compression, what's wrong with bumping up a grade "if" the engine is noisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back