BMW B48 engine -5w40 ll 01 is ok ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
First, Im from Brazil, sorry for my english
I recently bought a 2015 Mini Cooper S with Bmw B48 engine
Can i use 5w40 LL 01 approval in this engine or is better 5w30 ? I'm thinking about keep using shell hellix ultra 5w40 pureplus like my old 2013 beetle 2.0 tsi (Has good value in my country)
I usually keep oil change interval at 6 months or 5.000 km - Because Heavy traffic and Poor gas quality.
Im also considering motul 8100 but again it also 5w40 and way more expansive
Here we dont have pennzol or liquimoly.
If has any good recommendations for b48 engine, because i get the car last week and still dont know very well.

Thanks!

welcome2.gif

Any LL-01 oil will work well. Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 would be an excellent choice.

Thanks for reply guys

I will go with motul 8100 x-cees for now, it is twice of price shell helix ultra, but is superior and i think Worth pay more for better oil right ?

If the cost keep high, i change to shell helix ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fabio_89
Thanks for reply guys

I will go with motul 8100 x-cees for now, it is twice of price shell helix ultra, but is superior and i think Worth pay more for better oil right ?

Not sure it i superior. Shell Helix is one of the most advance oils in the world. Both have same manufacturers approvals. Do not hang on base oils, and marketing (100% synthetic). It is final result that matters, and take into consideration that Shell supplies oils for BMW's.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Not sure it i superior. Shell Helix is one of the most advance oils in the world. Both have same manufacturers approvals. Do not hang on base oils, and marketing (100% synthetic). It is final result that matters, and take into consideration that Shell supplies oils for BMW's.

Thanks! So, now no doubt i will go shell helix ultra um next oil change!
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Pennzoil is probably very similar to Helix if not identical at this point...

Thanks, but we dont have pennzoil here in Brazil

Pennzoil is Shell. Shell uses Pennzoil name in the US because it is more recognizable.

Pennzoil is Shell. Shell uses Pennzoil name in the US because it is more recognizable.

I didn't know ! Thanks

Thanks for reply guys

Motul is not a bad oil, but as I stated above, ANY LL-01 rated oil will work fine. I would go with Shell Helix as it is an excellent oil and has LL-01 approval. The fact that it costs 50% less than Motul is just icing on the cake. I seriously doubt that Motul oil is a significantly better oil than Shell Helix, and it definitely isn't twice as good.

Thanks for reply guys

You're making a mistake. Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is a cheap Group III oil. Shell Helix Ultra with PurePlus is a premium GTL oil. You're paying twice for an oil made from cheaper base stocks than for an oil with premium base stocks.

Also, within a given OEM category, such as BMW LL-01, an oil with a smaller x and/or smaller y in xW-y will use a more premium base oil because it's harder to make an oil when x gets smaller (to meet the CCS and NOACK requirements simultaneously) or y gets smaller (to meet the HTHSV requirement). So, a 5W-30 LL-01 oil would be more premium than a 5W-40 and a 0W-30 LL-01 oil would be more premium than a 5W-30. A more premium oil lasts longer and cleans the engine better. You also benefit from increased fuel economy and smoother-running engine.

Hi

I need help once again

I was using Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 on my BMW B48 engine, but it seens that Helix Ultra lost BMW LL-01 approval !!

What another oil can i go from Motul, Mobil, Castrol, Pentosin with same quality?? (Brazil Market is very limited of oil's brand )

Thanks

Anything with Longlife-04 approval, or anything with either Mercedes-Benz 229.5 or Porsche A40 approval. Just keep using the Helix that is very good oil and forget about Longlife-01, that approval is being phased out apparently.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Anything with Longlife-04 approval, or anything with either Mercedes-Benz 229.5 or Porsche A40 approval. Just keep using the Helix that is very good oil and forget about Longlife-01, that approval is being phased out apparently.

Ok, i will keep it !
Thanks

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Thanks for reply guys

You're making a mistake. Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is a cheap Group III oil. Shell Helix Ultra with PurePlus is a premium GTL oil. You're paying twice for an oil made from cheaper base stocks than for an oil with premium base stocks.

Also, within a given OEM category, such as BMW LL-01, an oil with a smaller x and/or smaller y in xW-y will use a more premium base oil because it's harder to make an oil when x gets smaller (to meet the CCS and NOACK requirements simultaneously) or y gets smaller (to meet the HTHSV requirement). So, a 5W-30 LL-01 oil would be more premium than a 5W-40 and a 0W-30 LL-01 oil would be more premium than a 5W-30. A more premium oil lasts longer and cleans the engine better. You also benefit from increased fuel economy and smoother-running engine.

Interesting. You're the first I've read that says that Motul oil is inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back