Recycling fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a very rural area 20 miles from a small town and walmart will only recycle motor oil. Emailed the EPA twice asking for help in what to do about trans, brake and hydraulic fluids with no response. Since on well water and septic I'm concerned. Where should i go from here.

Trans, brake, hydraulic fluid, gear, and power steering fluid can be mixed with motor oil.

It's good your concerned. Not everybody thinks like you.

1) Transmission Fluid
2) Hydraulic Fluids
3) Power Steering Fluid
4) Differential Oil
ALL are petroleum base and can be mixed with Motor Oil.

A) Coolant / Anti Freeze
B) Brake Fluid
I would not be mixing with Oils.
Start asking your neighbors or Indy Mechanics.

Last edited:
Ask nearby repair shops if they'll take your waste oil. I had a Sunoco service station take 10 jugs of used oil/ATF off my hands.

Trans, hydraulic, used motor oil, power steering fluid, all variations of the same stuff. All gets mixed, goes to recycle.
Brake fluid is a glycol, it does not go in with recycle.
Coolant goes down the toilet.

My local town recycling center takes all types of automotive oils in the same tank...including brake fluid. A separate tank is for antifreeze/coolants.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Trans, brake, hydraulic fluid, gear, and power steering fluid can be mixed with motor oil.

+1. Mix the above with your motor oil. Most of it gets burned anyway. Very little motor oil actually gets turned into other products.

Coolant no longer goes down the toilet at least in my area. All the other fluids go into the same waste container at our recycling center. We also have a special container at the waste recycling center for oil filters. Used oil containers go into the regular trash not the home recycling container.

I know Advance Auto, AutoZone, and O'Riley's take used oil as well as the filters. Do you have any of them near you. Some even take engine coolant.

Earth911

Earth911.com is a good source to find your closest recycle center.

Originally Posted by Highboy
Do they ask if you buy your oil there or do they care?

They don't ask but I have noticed that when I go to auto zone they always hint about you purchasing something, AAP didn't even care.

I save mine mixed with all the years motor oils tranny fluids ect I change for the year. It's about 10 - 15 gallons a year. It goes to special garage. The guy who helps me get through the crappy NeuYorkistan inspections rather than instead of using it to rob me blind. A couple years back I gave him well over 100 gallons . I'd much rather see it used to heat some hard working guys shop than hand over for free to some guy who's going to sell it afterwards.

I've taken used transmission fluid to Walmart at least 4-5 times. They've taken it. If yours says that they don't, just mix the fluids in with used engine oil. It's not like they check.

Agree with MasterSolenoid....trans, brake, and other hydraulic fluids I just mix in with my oil to be recycled......

If they are checking, just mix it 10:1 oil/other fluids and shake it up before you go in.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Trans, hydraulic, used motor oil, power steering fluid, all variations of the same stuff. All gets mixed, goes to recycle.
Brake fluid is a glycol, it does not go in with recycle.
Coolant goes down the toilet.

Coolant only goes down the toilet if you are on a municipal sanitary sewer system.
have some flavor of "septic system"? don't do it. ask a friend or relative that lives "in town"

and not that i would ever recommend this to anyone, but, my brother used to use old brake fluid for firestarter in his Chiminea. (strictly used for burning yard waste, not for cooking.)

My town, and county, take oil. The county takes gasoline, brake fluid, antifreeze. I give my trans fluid to the trans shop whom burns it.

Engine oil, trans fluid and gear oil can be mixed together.

Coolant needs to be disposed of separately.

Brake fluid is debateable; a small amount in motor oil may be passable but large quantities should be separately disposed of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back