Plugs from 98 Camry... 70k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the lady's Camry... 70k miles and they looked quite good.

IMG_20181230_204502701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181230_204457199_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181230_204345834_HDR.jpg

The one on the left got jacked up because I am a World Champion... Dropped it... And the 4th plug was an adventure to get out... Then it fell unceremoniously into the side of the motor closest to the firewall... At that point I did not care to retrieve it. My right leg was really acting up and I was having a hard time walking... So I did not care to even try to find it. I drove the little Camry around for 10 miles afterwards. Car ran perfect. I was happy to get it done. The replacement plugs were the OEM Denso Double Platinum with the waste spark plug design. Same as what is pictured in the owners manual.

Last edited:
They look like those Bosch Platinum+2 plugs. I can tell by the shape of the grounds
smile.gif

What did you replace them with? I know this job is almost impossible on the 1MZ, so I'd use the Bosch Platinum-Ir Fusion (part number 4501 or 4503) because it's the only multi-prong iridium made for the 1MZ. They are good for at least 100k.

I hope you also did the valve cover gaskets!

I used the OEM Denso Double Platinum plugs with the waste spark plug design for replacement... Should be great plugs .. Valve cover... Yeah no.. did not mess with that yet. This was one the 4 cylinder 2.2 L motor. Thank goodness.

Oh, ok. I thought is was the V6 because you had two pics of 3 plugs each.

But yeah, thank goodness you don't have the V6! Although since you do have the 4, the valve cover gasket job will be easy should you ever need to do it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
I droped it CB
smile.gif

Ahh yes, I see in your above post. You & I posted at the same time so, I hadn't read it till later.

Actually 70k miles on these Bosch plugs... Car has 143k miles... That is my bad for not specifying that in my initial post.

I used Bosch +4 in an old '84 Plymouth 2.2L carbed engine that could use all the help it could get.
The +4 did in fact help(better than the stock Champion) along with some of tweeking of the ignition timing, carburetor & fuel pump diaphram/throttle cable and better tune-up parts. Better parts meaning, ignition wires, better cap & rotor. And some mid grade 89 octane gas(no 91/93 octane, bucked too much). This engine turned out to be the engine it should have been out of the factory. Better throttle response, overall low end pickup & higher end power with way better MPG. However, IDK about emissions.
shocked.gif

The 5sfe is truly one of Toyota's "bulletproof" engines as long as you change the oil somewhat regularly and replace the timing belt every 60-90K. Just make sure you replace the crank, cam and oil pump seals whenever a T-Belt is done. Like Audios mentioned, those +2/+4 plugs are usually problematic. Glad they worked for as long as they did.

I tried the +4's many years ago in my first Dakota's V6... only plugs I replaced early. Lower fuel economy, uneven idle. Looked OK when I pulled them. I have no idea, maybe internal cracking/spark leak on the insulator? Anyway reviews back then were real mixed, some loved them, some hated them. I didn't get involved in the debate, just put something else in and moved on. Now I hardly hear about them, maybe they got them sorted out.

Originally Posted by The Critic
The 5sfe is truly one of Toyota's "bulletproof" engines as long as you change the oil somewhat regularly and replace the timing belt every 60-90K. Just make sure you replace the crank, cam and oil pump seals whenever a T-Belt is done. Like Audios mentioned, those +2/+4 plugs are usually problematic. Glad they worked for as long as they did.

Yeah you are exactly right about this...

Timing belt changed by lady's grandmother at 63k miles.... So it will be coming due in a bit... This car was given to my wife by her grandmother. Ms Betty passed away in March of this year
frown.gif

This is now a legacy car... And will be kept for a long, long time. Her grandma was a wonderful lady.

Some time back I gave a grand daughter a 98 Camry that I had for my son to drive for some years - got him a new car then gave the grand daughter the Camry.
Before I gave it to her I did all kinds of things to it (tires, brakes, etc.) to include new plugs and plug wires. Prior I used the Bosch recommended plugs, but I had installed NGK Iridium Laser plugs when I prep'd the car up for her. She has put a lot of miles (young gal that can't stay put) on the car since and when she visited a few months ago the car still looked in excellent condition, ran and sounded perfectly fine, then she went on a few states up north. Never hesitated to take that car anywhere. No leaks ever and she just loves the car (say's she just purr's mile after mile hour after hour state to state). When she visited, the NGKs already had more miles than I would have ran the Bosch plugs. But the engine was still smooth as when installed new and no exhaust putter so I didn't bother pulling and checking the plugs. That Camry has never once let us down in the years I had my son drive it and when he was in college him and buddies drove it on time off out of town all the time. Being that I gave the grand daughter the Camry, I was glad to see she has kept up on the exterior (clean, wax) and the clean interior, was hoping because she didn't pay for it that she wouldn't just trash it. And had been getting the oil/filter changes etc., timing belt, pump etc.
Now she wants my Harley - I don't think so....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by The Critic

Yeah you are exactly right about this...

Timing belt changed by lady's grandmother at 63k miles.... So it will be coming due in a bit... This car was given to my wife by her grandmother. Ms Betty passed away in March of this year
frown.gif

This is now a legacy car... And will be kept for a long, long time. Her grandma was a wonderful lady.

The motor seems nice, the trans tolerable. Oddly enough I think I like my Camry better than my wife's. It's smaller and just feels better for the commuting I do. Her car of course is better for us to go out in as a family, more space. My car seems to get better fuel economy though--well, she gets better mpg driving her car, for some reason it always tanks when I drive it.

Heh, my wife has been in my Camry only a few times, and always tells me that the car meows when we go around corners. The boot that goes around the steering shaft apparently is dry. I thought I put some grease in there, but it must have dried out, and it doesn't bother me. It's the car having some character.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by supton

Heh, my wife has been in my Camry only a few times, and always tells me that the car meows when we go around corners. The boot that goes around the steering shaft apparently is dry. I thought I put some grease in there, but it must have dried out, and it doesn't bother me. It's the car having some character.
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif
My Camry has always done this too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back