Barrel cleaning pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading a few threads with discussion about cleaning barrels, I'm still unclear as to which, if either is better... I see some take the stance of clean every time you're done shooting, to bore snaking after x or xx shots and I've seen remarks about practically never cleaning them. It doesn't seem exclusive to low velocity rimfires either.

I'd like to know if there is actual data or proof that any of the above mentioned approaches is better than the others. Also if a barrel is seldom or never cleaned, does that open the door to corrosion/rust? I understand that in severe climates such as extreme humidity, salt spray and so on, rust will no doubt be serious concern. But what about those that live in more hospitable conditions with an average guy who shoots every month or two with some hunting thrown in for good measure?

I know some barn burning rounds will leave copper fouling behind and lead bullets in certain types of rifling or higher pressure/velocity loads will lead a barrel which need tending to to prevent overpressure issues, but I'm mainly referring to typical rounds like .22LR, .223, .300BLK, 7.62x39, .308 and so on.

I like the idea of doing nothing (so to speak) to improve my accuracy but wonder what can be expected (both good and bad) at the range.

Clean from the breach , if you can .

Use one of the muzzle protectors , if you can .

To remove copper use one of the bore cleaners that smell of ammonia .

Followed by Hoppies #9 , followed by gun oil .

For leading , use bore brush & patches . Followed by Hoppes & gun oil .

Modern / American primers / powder are not corrosive , but , the more humidity , the more diligent you need to be .

But , cleaning , done incorrectly may do more damage than good .

I use a 1 piece , coated rod . Have broken many sectional rods . :-(

Wyr
God bless

for .22 lr...i can clean when accuracy falls off..somewhere over 1000 rounds..some rimfire barrels that are a lil rough shoot better after a few rounds and better yet after 50.

when hunting it changes things as you need to remove debris and moisture often, shotguns i boresnake after most every outing.

Last edited:
The answer to your question depends on the humidity and salinity where your guns are stored. The more humid and salty the air, the more important it is to clean after every shoot.

22's and most cast bullets are a bit different then the other cartridges you mention because of the waxy lubricant they leave behind.

I am not a fan of bore snakes, pull-throughs, or anything that does not respect and preserve the crown (inside edge of muzzle where rifling ends). A sharp healthy crown is essential to good accuracy.

After initial break-in and thorough cleaning, your rifle bore should settle into a state of minimum copper fouling, and normal cleaning and normal shooting will maintain it around that point. Stripping all the copper out will just mean the next bullet will lay down a bunch again. But if it builds up too much, like after a hot session of .223 through an AR, it will need some special attention.

My rifles always shoot better when they've had a few rounds through them. I clean them periodically, but generally only when I know the next outing is going to be a range session where the barrel will be re-fouled. My .338LM hasn't been cleaned in ages.

Regarding corrosion: I don't shoot corrosive ammo, since nothing I own is chambered in 7.62x39. All of my rifles have stainless barrels and actions, so I'm not worried about rust.

This article is one of the reasons (and several like it) as to why I don't clean regularly:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/article...07/10-front-line-tips-our-elite-shooters

If my POI starts to shift or my groups open up, then it'll get cleaned. But when it is shooting nice and tight, I'll continue to run it "as is" until it doesn't.

Originally Posted by billt460
Best copper remover out there. Far better than anything with Ammonia in it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2093155799/bore-tech-eliminator-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid

Do not shoot much any more . But , back in the day , I shot several foreign C&R rifles with foreign military surplus ammo . Which I considered all foreign ammo crossive , to play it safe .

I used Shooters Choice copper remover . It did a good job at that + the ammonia compound did a good job of removing and / or neutralizing the corrosive salts . From the primers .

There was an old WWII saying , the Army wore out more rifles from cleaning , than from shooting .

A USGI steel cleaning rod , used improperly , can certainly damage a bore / muzzle .

WYR
God bless

Hoppes 9 Solvent
Let sit 5 minutes
Clean with patches
Rug jag with Archoil 4400 and sit for 15 min. per instruction
Multiple passes with boresnake.

For what its worth, I shoot $10,000 worth of ammo in a typical year. AR15 rifles, semi auto pistols, some various other guns mixed in, and I ONLY use bore snakes and no harsh barrel cleaning chemicals. No copper remover, no lead remover, never any problems. I'm not a long range shooter, or rifle accuracy nut, so I don't know what they would choose to do, but for my style of shooting, and my types of guns, it works for me.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I used Shooters Choice copper remover . It did a good job at that + the ammonia compound did a good job of removing and / or neutralizing the corrosive salts . From the primers .

WYR
God bless

Actually Shooters Choice is what sold me hands down on the Bore Tech Eliminator. I had been using it for years before I tried the Bore Tech. I tried it on a rifle I had thought was clean with Shooters Choice. (Patches were coming out clean). After running one patch soaked with Bore Tech down the barrel, the patch came out solid green. It was much the same with all of my other rifles. Accuracy improved substantially. Especially in my .300 Win. Mags., which tend to foul a bit more. I don't bother with it in any of my AR's. Especially since I switched to Hodgdon CFE-223 Powder. It's amazing at how well that stuff eliminates copper fouling.

Bore Tech Eliminator is also completely odorless, biodegradable, and actually has rust inhibitors in it. And you can't etch or harm a barrel with it regardless of how long you leave it in.

Best copper remover out there. Far better than anything with Ammonia in it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2093155799/bore-tech-eliminator-bore-cleaning-solvent-liquid

+1 for bore tech stuff. Great company and people too. I was able to tour their facility and chat with the owner once. Engineer by trade.

Their cleaning rods and guides are my preference too.

I tend to run jags only, and I start with a slightly undersize to make pushing a patch through easier. After everything is wet to my liking, I'll move to the bigger jag.

Call me anal, but I run a coated rod
And unscrew the jag every time after removing the dirty patch. That way I know I'm not dragging anything back.

While I appreciate the input, I'm not looking for cleaning tips, tricks or preferred products. Just pros and cons of cleaning religiously vs not cleaning.

Originally Posted by justintendo
for .22 lr...i can clean when accuracy falls off..somewhere over 1000 rounds..some rimfire barrels that are a lil rough shoot better after a few rounds and better yet after 50.

when hunting it changes things as you need to remove debris and moisture often, shotguns i boresnake after most every outing.

"When accuracy falls off" - Out of curiosity, what is your threshold for accuracy drop off?

Originally Posted by HangFire

22's and most cast bullets are a bit different then the other cartridges you mention because of the waxy lubricant they leave behind.

After initial break-in and thorough cleaning, your rifle bore should settle into a state of minimum copper fouling, and normal cleaning and normal shooting will maintain it around that point. Stripping all the copper out will just mean the next bullet will lay down a bunch again. But if it builds up too much, like after a hot session of .223 through an AR, it will need some special attention.

What is the effect of the bullet lube on the barrel? Does it serve as a protectant?

Originally Posted by The_Eric
While I appreciate the input, I'm not looking for cleaning tips, tricks or preferred products. Just pros and cons of cleaning religiously vs not cleaning.

Why go to either extreme? Clean when you feel the weapon needs it. Or when accuracy starts to fall off to an unacceptable level in a long range weapon. You don't have to do anything "religiously", as opposed to not doing anything at all.

Ask yourself why clean? it is like exfoliating your skin, do you do it everyday? every other day? or when your girlfriend points out the flaking dead skin
laugh.gif

I am the sole member and president of "Dad's against cleaning barrel" club. So my 2 cents is not unbiased.

I shoot off hand, prone with/without sling. I only clean with a dry path mostly to make sure the barrel is unobstructed.

If you clean your gun, shoot some fouling shots to get dirty again.
Barrel breakin is like tire flush or blinker fluid, people are too emotional about this just like damage to crown and accuracy.

Bottom line, know your weapon, it will tell you when it needs to be cleaned,

If corrosive ammo , clean by that night .

It depends on the ammo , the climate & weather conditions , the weapon , etc.

I do not see a hard & fast / universal answer .

If you wish to be xautioue , clean every time you shoot it .

Why go to either extreme? Clean when you feel the weapon needs it. Or when accuracy starts to fall off to an unacceptable level in a long range weapon. You don't have to do anything "religiously", as opposed to not doing anything at all.

I can accept that type of answer. It seems like a good practical approach.

Do you ever run a lightly oiled patch through prior to storage or does the copper deposits (or lead) seal the steel well enough that rust isn't an issue?

Do you ever run a lightly oiled patch through prior to storage or does the copper deposits (or lead) seal the steel well enough that rust isn't an issue?

Yes, I always finish with a well oiled patch down the bore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back