are American Racing wheels any better than house brand wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for winter tires/wheels for my car, should I expect that American Racing are better than DT's MB wheels? I'm guessing they are not much better. perhaps I should suck it up and get BBS.

Chinese Racing
27.gif

The Radius-brand wheels Tire Rack has are made in Italy and a good price
smile.gif

My truck had ARs when I bought it. I left them on because I liked the way they look. I seriously doubt they're better than house brand wheels. I think most people get them for looks without considering other factors.

Have some 1999 era ARs that lived a hard life on a subaru before putting them on my prius. Still true, no wobbles.

BBS and OZ have many classic designs that have high resale value. If you can keep a desirable model in good shape you will probably get a good portion of your cashish back if you try and sell them.

Borbet is pretty sweet, too. They also have some classic designs. The Type A is up there with the BBS RS in terms of legendary status.

American Racing still makes some really high quality Forged wheels, But the ticket on that ride is very expensive!! The last Forged center/Forged Barrel AR set I purchased for a customer were @$900 a wheel.

When you shop for price.....You get what you pay for!

Originally Posted by clinebarger
American Racing still makes some really high quality Forged wheels, But the ticket on that ride is very expensive!! The last Forged center/Forged Barrel AR set I purchased for a customer were @$900 a wheel.

When you shop for price.....You get what you pay for!
Quality wheels are astronomically priced. I saw a car with HREs in a underground parking garage once. I looked them up and they were $2400 USD each! $10000 on wheels that you are probably going to drive into curbs with?

The only aftermarket wheels I have used are Konig and Enkei. The reason being; they are great quality, good prices and offer very nice selection of designs. Never any issues with build and finish quality, and always run smooth. I currently run the Konig Intemtion on my Subaru. I inspected them thoroughly before installation. Beautiful high quality product.

Apparently American Racing makes a durable wheel, as well, according to this article dated September 25, 2018. https://www.thoughtco.com/toughest-aftermarket-wheels-and-what-to-avoid-3234451

Look for a quality "flow formed" wheel (also called rotary forged or spun forged). They are a nice happy medium between a cast wheel and a fully forged wheel. OZ, BBS, Apex, Enkei, Konig, TSW and many others all make nice flow formed wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by grampi
What is a house brand wheel? I've never heard of such a thing...

Pep Boys' ProLine comes to mind.

Tire Rack has had a few house brands over the years, including Mille Miglia and Sport Edition

House brand wheels definitely do exist.

Originally Posted by Malo83
For winter i would just go with stock steel wheels.

Gross! Just because it's winter doesn't mean aesthetics don't matter.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted by Malo83
For winter i would just go with stock steel wheels.

Gross! Just because it's winter doesn't mean aesthetics don't matter.

Steelies are awesome
smile.gif

your $$$ your choice, so depending on what your willing to spend will determine what you get. OE is always more costly to comparable aftermarket wheels, house brands included. i got a set of cheap Drag mesh wheels for my 2001 TT with tires mounted free at discount tire. they took a lot of weights + are looking a bit rough even though they NEVER seen snow + rarely in the rain as my summer car is garaged unless out driving in nice weather with top down!! look at the weight of wheels lighter is costlier but has many benefits. shopping on-line is easy but time consuming but you can get a decent wheel at fair prices. as noted some offer free mount + balance when buying tires at the same time. i put a set of replica brand wheels aka looks like OE without the price on my 2001 jetta + they survived 9 winters + many winter miles out of the 200,000 on the car at trade time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back