EaBP100 bypass filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are pictures from an Amsoil EaBP100 bypass filter I had in my PSD for 30k to 35k miles. Four OLM cycles. Base is very heavy duty constructed. The rest look similar to a high quality filter.

IMG_20181230_151756.jpg

IMG_20181230_151803.jpg

IMG_20181230_151807.jpg

IMG_20181230_151813.jpg

How was the flow rate through this filter when removed at 30-35k? Those sure are well built filters, seems like they could go a long long time in service, maybe 2-3x what you've run yours in a newer common rail "clean" diesel that produces significantly less soot than an old mechanical diesel. Also I'd imagine that since soot takes time to grow from the submicron level to a size at which it can be captured by a 2um bypass filter that if the oil is changed frequently due to other condemnation factors that this bypass would last even longer.

Thanks for the post, would love more details on this, such as how long was the oil run or how many oil changes were run through this bypass prior to changing the oil or bypass, any UOA associated with your bypass system, etc.

Thanks!

Too bad years ago Amsoil changed their bypass filter to this style. THe old style of stacked elements, you could tell when you need to change the filter by feeling the can, as each layer gets plugged up, that layer ceases to flow out and you could feel a temperature differential with your hand.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Too bad years ago Amsoil changed their bypass filter to this style. THe old style of stacked elements, you could tell when you need to change the filter by feeling the can, as each layer gets plugged up, that layer ceases to flow out and you could feel a temperature differential with your hand.

Still works the same, as EaBP100 gets plugged starts getting cold from the bottom up. I have a dual set and they are both 25% plugged at the moment, I'll replace them when they are 100% full.:)

Just an observation that has little more than anecdotal comment ...

If this were some other lower-tier brand, it would be bashed for using a leaf spring rather than coil spring. All the EaO and EaBP filters I've seen opened up have leaf springs. Some on here have repeatedly berated other brands for having leafs, but never a peep of dissent when it's an Amsoil filter. Just an example of brand bias. Not that I can one way or another; leaf or coil both work just fine.

Not unlike the topic of the end-caps (metal vs fiber). Some people care; some don't. But the supposed inferior features are often conveniently ignored in conversation when a premium filter has such. Many bash the fiber end caps in Frams, but no one said a peep when it was pointed out that a premium foreign made filter which is OEM for Bently vehicles also uses fiber end caps.

Yes - these are nice filters and I, for one, am incapable of caring less about spring.

Just saying ...

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
How was the flow rate through this filter when removed at 30-35k? Those sure are well built filters, seems like they could go a long long time in service, maybe 2-3x what you've run yours in a newer common rail "clean" diesel that produces significantly less soot than an old mechanical diesel. Also I'd imagine that since soot takes time to grow from the submicron level to a size at which it can be captured by a 2um bypass filter that if the oil is changed frequently due to other condemnation factors that this bypass would last even longer.

I would LOVE to find out how many miles can be put on one until it no longer flows an acceptable amount.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

I would LOVE to find out how many miles can be put on one until it no longer flows an acceptable amount.

Impossible to answer due to too many variables such as engine, driving conditions, quality of air filter, & how often the air filter is changed. An old air filter with a "cake" of dust will filter much better than a new filter thus reducing the amount of contaminants in the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back