More Subaru mouse issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, in the Subaru Forester I have an electronic Mouse Blocker Pro under the hood, a balsam bag near glove compartment, and another in the spare tire area. New mouse nest about 12" from the balsam bag in the spare tire area.

I think my cat being 12 or so has past his prime being a mouser.

Maybe a ferrel cat?

I put a couple of traps in each garage along the walls baited with peanut butter, and also a trap under the front bumper of my daughter's car which has a parking spot outside. In the garages I catch maybe a couple mice per year, but about a dozen mice per year under my daughter's car. I started doing this years ago after mice got into my son's car and made nest in the glove box. I've been using the same plastic traps for years, they don't crush the mouse and are easy to empty and re-use.

Inside the spare tire area? Are you missing a plastic or rubber plug that goes in the spare tire area?

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
I put a couple of traps in each garage along the walls baited with peanut butter, and also a trap under the front bumper of my daughter's car which has a parking spot outside. In the garages I catch maybe a couple mice per year, but about a dozen mice per year under my daughter's car. I started doing this years ago after mice got into my son's car and made nest in the glove box. I've been using the same plastic traps for years, they don't crush the mouse and are easy to empty and re-use.

The peanut butter does work well for me too. I also put a couple small perforated plastic bags with moth balls inside, under the hood which has stopped the nesting for me. You could give it a try in the spare tire compartment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
This is an outside always car. I will check for the rubber plug in the spare tire area.

I doubt you are missing anything. They are probably entering through the pressure equalizing flaps buried behind each side of the rear bumper. There should be a screen in there, but it'd be easy for a rodent to lift the flap and tear through the screen.

I have also seen rodents enter through rubber firewall plugs installed by the manufacturer in the unused RHD steering column hole. Once they are inside, they can burrow under the carpet in the spaces for wiring looms to run, meaning just because they are in the rear of the car doesn't mean that's where they entered.

Last edited:
I start baiting traps with cheese mid to late fall in my garage. I get between 1-4 every day. They are looking for a place to winter. All winter i may get 3. Spring i will get 1 a day for about a week. What I have found out is the V engines are more prone to nest under hood. My jeep is straight Six and have never seen a nest anywhere. Maybe they just don't like jeeps.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Bait the traps with Slim Jim's stuck well on the peg of the trap.. Always works where PB fails constantly.

Mild, regular or hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back