Good summary from Liquimoly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that was awesome. They really did some nice work tying multiple data sources together to present some "big picture" looks that aren't normally arranged together. Very in-depth, and worth the read even if you're not going to buy Liqui-Moly oils!

Thanks for the post. Organizes a lot of info and brings it together. Maybe a slight bias towards AECA, but whatever. Lots of info at the end for snake oil fans.
laugh.gif

It appears by looking over that presentation that class III base oils are referred to as fully synthetic just like here in the states. I was under the impression that Germany categorized them as non-synthetics which apparently is not true. So I am wondering how as a consumer one could tell if ANY oil has a class IV predominate base oil.

i too wonder as i recently purchased + am using their 5-40 trying to cut consumption in girlfriends 13 malibu 2.5 LS, time will tell!! it was drinking the spec 5-20 then a 10-30 penns as well as mobil I, better for a while but at almost 60 thou its getting worse!! just remembered reading the real synthetic ONLY pertains to oils CONSUMED in Germany + NOT those for export!!

Last edited:
I just bought 18 liters of Ravenol. The writing is all in German so I believe they are basically a PAO based oil.

the Ravenol site states where PAO is used. i believe oils for export labeled synthetic can be group III or IV + or V + still advertised as such. generally any oil using better base oils other than a splash to meet a spec will tell you to justify the higher pricing. todays Amsoil says NOTHING so i am a skeptical former user but NO MORE as they say to meet the spec , to me that says only as good as it needs to be blended as cheap as possible!! the Liquimoly i got was on special on Amazon + surely a group III labeled synthetic as they were revising -updating their oil formulations from reading on their site

Two of the oils are a 5W30 euro 504/507. The other is a 5W/20 for Chrysler 6395. They all say in the faq sheets that they are PAO with cleansynto technology. They were about $13 a liter with the 20% off sale that just concluded. The 12 hour overnight cold soak time of sometimes -35F here in Wyoming along with the up to 10k mile interval has pushed me to what I believe are better oils for my needs, first Red Line and now Ravenol. Time will tell I suppose. Probably overkill I know but a little relatively cheap peace of mind for me.

Ravenol is good stuff. Liquimoly is good stuff but I haven't found any info it's Grp IV/V, while Ravenol is very open about the higher-group base oils. I'd use either one with confidence, I am thinking about buying some Molygen after reading this PPT file and researching it on their website. I like what I've read about moly and tungsten as additives.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Ravenol is good stuff. Liquimoly is good stuff but I haven't found any info it's Grp IV/V, while Ravenol is very open about the higher-group base oils. I'd use either one with confidence, I am thinking about buying some Molygen after reading this PPT file and researching it on their website. I like what I've read about moly and tungsten as additives.

I will take liquimoly as mid upper range like mobil ep rather than top class like motul 300v or 8100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back