2004 tundra v8 downstream 02 check engine light fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ol tundra has a check engine light on...... it's the downstream oxygen sensors saying that poor catalytic converter efficiency/below threshold. I replaced the oxygen sensors a few months ago but had a feeling it was gonna be the cats. My question is that rather than spending $1000 on factory cats, what's to keep me from removing my current cats and running a rebar rod through them and knocking all that honeycomb out? We did this to my old Ford f-250 with a granny low 5 speed and 7.5L big block and it made it run alot better. I suspect my other problem is that I would need to get some type of fooler for those downstream sensors. The other two upstream sensors are are the ones that control the air/fuel mixture so even if the check engine light is on, it should still perform well correct Matt Franks?

What code does it say? Is it the P0420 code for the cat, or is it a P0150 code (or whatever it is) for the oxygen sensor? The title is kind of confusing.

You can get both cats (aftermarket) on ebay for under $200. You should also replace the downstream sensors along with the cats.

Is it often or rarely throwing P0420/P0430 codes? The system can be very sensitive if you are running poor quality fuel or certain fuel additives. I had to stop using Lucas UCL fuel additive in the Tundra because repeated use would throw a P0420 code.

In 3rd world countries they run a drilled out spark plug anti-fouler on the rear o2 sensors, it's the same 18mm thread.

If you don't have backpressure issues leave the cats alone, don't rod them out.

If you're going to do all the work to access the old Cats, just replace them with aftermarket. You can help pay for it by recycling the old Cats, you'll get a few bucks for them at the metal recycling places because of the Platinum content. Bring your receipt for the new Cats so you don't look like a petty Cat thief (not joking here).

I was getting the P0420 on my Accent with 150K miles. I put a new post cat O2 in and a bung extender. I will still get the code one or twice a year but other than that it's gone.

I replaced the cats on 2 of my vehicles for $200 - $300 each. Go to the Magnaflow web site and look up your vehicle to get the part numbers. Go to Amazon and plug the part numbers into the search. You are in TX so get the 48 state cats. The 50 state cats are 50% higher in cost and not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back