New 2019-ford-ranger not bad looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ranger/B2300 2WD with Duratec was rated @ 29MPG with the 5sp MT; I got 31 on a 1000 mile loop to my parents in Western VA.

I basically haul stuff occasionally with mine but it is practical to be considered a DD if pressed into service.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Curious,what ended the mini truck craze?

For the same or sometimes less dollars , you could get a full size truck.

The trend is towards crew cabs/double cabs. Many customers that want a pickup also need it to pick up the kids or whatever.

It is important that they maintain a few MPG in between these and full size … and full sized is mainly an American thing with us often having lower fuel prices and a bit more room to park in many places.
If this is a solid 10 year+ truck … it will see higher fuel prices a couple times or so …

I for one no longer want or need a 4 door full size …don't enjoy driving them …

I think the Ranger will sell well. Particularly to many who don't "need" a truck in the first place. And, in this regard, it seems as if Ford's marketing guys have anticipated this, because those being delivered initially are mostly XLTs and Lariats with most of the options available. This results in truckloads of $45k+ Rangers -- a far cry from the basic $25k truck with the same running gear.

The turboed 4-cylinder is probably the same basic engine used in the Mustang.

Good review. I do wish they'd given the Raptor some more grunt though! I think putting the 10 speed auto behind the 3.2 diesel would've done the trick.

The 4 cylinder petrol engine they're getting in the US seems decent, wonder if it will make it to Oz?

I like it and I think it will sell well. I've both Chevy and Dodge half tons, a Nissan Hardbody, and 3 Rangers, and currently a Frontier. I like the midsize crew cab setup the best. While it doesn't have the capability of current 1/2 tons it has more than enough capability for what I need to do, room for the kids, and it fits in the garage. All I tow is a little fishing boat and a 21' camper and it handles those very well. A basic, low option Ranger was great for me years ago but what I have now is much more usable for the family. I think Ford is doing the right thing not making this bare bones. They have to make something to be competitive and I think they have done just that.

Originally Posted by hpb
The 4 cylinder petrol engine they're getting in the US seems decent, wonder if it will make it to Oz?

There is talk about it being an option here...the turbo will give it some torque lower in the rev range, but it won't be anywhere near a diesel. Maybe for those who just use them as a car, the 4 cyl petrol might be better.

Originally Posted by Silk
Maybe for those who just use them as a car, the 4 cyl petrol might be better.

I agree, and they'd do much better in a city environment than the diesel, not that I've experienced or heard of any DPF issues with the Rangers.

It's a ute not a truck, and if you don't get the 5 cyl diesel why bother.

Sorry, but why would anybody want that engine? We had 2 Transit's with that engine at my old work and they were always in the shop* They also were not the best performer.

*Always emissions related that caused a power degrade situation. Other countries might not have those issues...

Delta Sorry said:
We don't seem to have many problems with them here...apart from the oil pump not working after an oil change, but we all heard about that one pretty quick. More a home oil change issue. The Ranger has been outselling the Toyota Hi Lux for some time now, despite Toyota dropping chunks off the price.

Originally Posted by Delta
It's a ute not a truck, and if you don't get the 5 cyl diesel why bother.

Sorry, but why would anybody want that engine? We had 2 Transit's with that engine at my old work and they were always in the shop* They also were not the best performer.

*Always emissions related that caused a power degrade situation. Other countries might not have those issues...

Yeah, as Silk said, very few issues with the 5 cylinder diesel in the Rangers here. My company has hundreds of them in service all over Oz, and they've proven very reliable. The one I'm currently driving is at 170,000km and has had nothing but regular services every 15,000km. They're the best selling vehicle in Australia, there'd be a huge outcry if the engines were no good.

Current Rangers have EGR and DPF, what extra emission gear do US spec Transits have?

Originally Posted by hpb
Yeah, as Silk said, very few issues with the 5 cylinder diesel in the Rangers here. My company has hundreds of them in service all over Oz, and they've proven very reliable. The one I'm currently driving is at 170,000km and has had nothing but regular services every 15,000km. They're the best selling vehicle in Australia, there'd be a huge outcry if the engines were no good.

Current Rangers have EGR and DPF, what extra emission gear do US spec Transits have?

As far as I know they're the same setup. Come to think of it we had 3, a '15, '16, and '17, forgot about the new one. The '15 and '16 had metal shavings go throughout the system from the fuel pump, which both had new fuel systems replaced under warranty. But after that they were never the same and would go through sensors, a DEF tank heater, and some other nick-knack issues. Would always be real interesting to have the engine go in degrade issues driving through the mountains... The '17 hadn't had issues yet before I left.

Interesting. Wonder if where they're built could be a factor? Our Rangers come from Thailand, and the general fit and finish is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back