"Correct" method to pour oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always went with the "sort of clean the funnel before use and precariously balance the 5 quart jug on the nearest convenient but inappropriate engine part as you pour, constantly adjusting and almost overfilling your just a little too small funnel" - method.

Last edited:
OMG, I've ruined so many engines by doing it wrong this whole time :).

It's funny that we have so many experts out there today defining what's right and wrong.

Sure, if you're pouring a quart into a huge funnel that can hold it all! The correct way to do it with a jug is SIDEWAYS into the funnel-no "glug", and one can easily control how fast it comes out. Then leave it upside down in the funnel for a while to get it all out, or (my personal favorite) leave it sitting on a warm radiator or hose at an angle on it's side to allow as much as possible to run out.

I always pour the jug or bottle sideways to allow enough air in that it doesn't glug glug and make a mess. Dad taught me that at a young age. Also taught me making a funnel by cutting a quart container bottom off.

The article has me confused because holding it by the bottom or top would make no difference. If you pour with the same bottle orientation both times, it doesn't make a lick of difference if you're holding the bottle at the bottom or the top. Am I missing something?

What they have shown in the illustration actually makes sense. What I gather is that you hold the bottle with the flat side up, NOT the curved / contoured side.

None of this means anything to me, as I've always held the bottle sideways and eased the contents out slowly. Once you get a good stream going that's controllable, you can [censored] near tip the whole bottle over and pour in a real hurry without making a mess. Very cold oil is more difficult but easily done with a little practice. Then there's those oil fill caps that are hidden under some hose, or squeezed in between the intake manifold and radiator, such that the sideways pour won't work. In the absence of a funnel, I sideways pour from above, most times I can get it without spilling, but I do make a mess from time to time.

I'm due for an oil change on my Odyssey, I'm going to try their method right now and see if I like it better than sideways.

I hold the jug with the spout on the top side. I think that's why they put it on one side, so it drains without glugging. I used to be able to put a whole jug in without a funnel and without spilling. Now a funnel is needed.

I like having a spout where I can open and close it while connected to an oil bottle. When I use a funnel I just pour into it with the jug or quart sideways.

I used to drop the pan, fill it back up with as much fresh oil as I could, and then reinstall.
Then I found the cool trick of filling my mouth up with a big swig of oil and then blowing it into the engine through the dipstick tube with a straw...repeat until the dipstick tube overflows.
Now that this video has made me realize that there is an oil fill hole with a cap in a great many engines, I might try using that.

;^)

I hold the 5qt jugs sideways, seems to work pretty well.

Amsoil quart bottles have the spout in the middle... Yet somehow I managed to pour them with no mess lol.

Not very detailed, I want to know how far apart my feet should be, which direction the lighting should be, optimum wind direction and what radio station I should be listening to
laugh.gif

This thread should be in the Humor forum.
smile.gif

I use a 165 mm wide funnel with an 80 mm long spout which has a diameter of 20 mm and pour at the rate of 1/4 Liter per second.
grin2.gif
Never had any spills.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fitter30
Draw arrows on the container so the oil knows which way to flow...
That works only if your oil has smart molecules.

Anti-glug sideways pouring works great with windshield washer because alcohol doesn't have smart molecules. They stagger all over the place.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by Fitter30
Draw arrows on the container so the oil knows which way to flow...
That works only if your oil has smart molecules.
Anti-glug sideways pouring works great with windshield washer because alcohol doesn't have smart molecules. They stagger all over the place.

Are we going to start seeing marijuana-based washer fluid now that it is legal in so many places???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back