Can a garbage can be too heavy for the trash truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's too heavy will it slip out of the claws? Our garbage trucks are automated here. I have it loaded up with about 200 pounds right now.

Yes, there is a limit. Most places are 200 lbs or less, depending on the size of the cart/can.

Our service limits it to 180 LBS.

Best bet is to call or look it up on your providers webpage.

I think ours in north Fort Worth are about 125 lbs. Probably due to the construction of the trash can before that big hydraulic metal claw would fail.

This may be driven by politics as well... they don't want people overloading their cans in case the trashmen have to do a "manual override" and lift it by themselves.

Or to keep people from throwing out all that depleted uranium, lol.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
200 lbs? Doing some brick work, are you?

Could be roofing work too. Knew a guy who threw away a whole roof in his trash. Took him a few weeks to do it.

Not a problem at all.

I filled my garbage can a few weeks ago 100% to the TOP with cactus. I could barely move it. I watched the trash truck lift it up no problem at all.

I looked up the weight limit and it's 250 pounds. I know it's heavier than its ever been. I can barely put it up on its wheels to roll it. lol

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I looked up the weight limit and it's 250 pounds. I know it's heavier than its ever been. I can barely put it up on its wheels to roll it. lol

We renovated one of the bathrooms in our old house. The tub 'wall' was your typical 1960s era 4" square tiles. Pulled all of that out along with the backing material. For as little material as it seemed like, it weighed a ton ! Well, not literally a ton but like you, I could barely move the trash can with it. Now that I recall, I even asked the neighbor (who barely had a single bag of trash) if I could put some in his can and he let me. Trash day came, went out to get the empty can, and everything was gone.

Our trash truck lift mechanisms actually have 'scales' on them because they weigh the amount of recycled items you put out. Why ? They encourage recycling and you could "win" $50 or $100 by recycling a lot. Even if our garbage can exceeded their normal limit, I suppose it's discretionary if it's within some limit. Or, if they know "this guy always goes over the limit" then they might do something but once a year, twice a year, or they don't remember it happening before ? Not an issue apparently....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

We renovated one of the bathrooms in our old house. The tub 'wall' was your typical 1960s era 4" square tiles. Pulled all of that out along with the backing material. For as little material as it seemed like, it weighed a ton ! Well, not literally a ton but like you, I could barely move the trash can with it. Now that I recall, I even asked the neighbor (who barely had a single bag of trash) if I could put some in his can and he let me. Trash day came, went out to get the empty can, and everything was gone.

Our trash truck lift mechanisms actually have 'scales' on them because they weigh the amount of recycled items you put out. Why ? They encourage recycling and you could "win" $50 or $100 by recycling a lot. Even if our garbage can exceeded their normal limit, I suppose it's discretionary if it's within some limit. Or, if they know "this guy always goes over the limit" then they might do something but once a year, twice a year, or they don't remember it happening before ? Not an issue apparently....
You're not supposed to throw out construction debris in the trash, especially ceramics. Anything that can be used for clean fill should be disposed of properly. I understand not having a lot or not having a truck to transport it, though.

A few pieces of wood or some drywall is not big deal, they all go to the same place anyway. I've seen houses with 10+ contractor bags with wood sticking out of them on the curb sit for days.

I got yelled at because ours was over 50lbs. Guess the lid blew off and it rained didn't feel that heavy when I put it out there.

As soon as the city provides someone to come out for no additional charge to take my"clean fill construction debris", I'll worry about that. I pay the same as anyone else and my can has 1 bag a week in it most weeks. If I want to throw out some trash, I'm throwing it out. Its not like I run a 100 unit apt complex here.

I do have a half full can of cardboard and plastic I recycle weekly. Its hard sometimes with all the recycling rules but since they switched to kimble here its abit easier than republic.

If garbageman here suspects the can is too heavy they will leave it and put a note on it. Our city charges a lot of money for garbage pickup and 'rent' 3 different sizes of bin, so if your garabge isn't perfect it gets left. You guys are lucky if your limit is the weight to make it slip out of the claws!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back