Anyone receiving this Windows Stop Message on a regular basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Over the last couple of months, this has happened more than I can count? I went a period of a couple weeks without this issue but just yesterday it did it again.
Not that my computer isn't working good because it is, imo, but I am curious if this is a sign of something going on or an eventual crash?

My computer info is: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core I-5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz, 8.0 RAM, Intel HD graphics.

WP_20181205_09_46_39_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen it. Running Win 10 64 bit and Linux Mint on dual boot

Looks like one of those fake pop-up error messages. Best to go to task manager and close the browser. No harm as long as you do not click on it. Good idea to do a scan with the antivirus.I have had them before but it has been a couple of years now. I just close the application via task manager,do a quick antivirus scan and drive on.

This happened with my spouses Asus laptop recently after a Windows Update. Drove us crazy. We ended up having to revert back to after the update, taking the anti-virus software off, allowing the update to complete and then putting the AV back on. It's fine now.

Perhaps it's the same reason for you so I thought I would mention it.

Last edited:
The error message points to a driver causing a crash due to a change in power state. Likely means that something is receiving a sleep or power saving command and its driver is pooping the bed rather than behaving properly. The Windows Event Log may have more details, like what driver actually triggered the crash, which would be extremely useful in determining the solution here.

A few questions:
- Are you using Bitdefender antivirus? If so, uninstall it and see if the problem goes away. It has caused issues with network stack drivers that trigger BSOD's like this, there's a recent thread where I aided another member in resolving a similar issue .
- What brand is the computer?
- Did it ship with Windows 10 on it or is this an upgrade from 7 or 8.x?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The error message points to a driver causing a crash due to a change in power state. Likely means that something is receiving a sleep or power saving command and its driver is pooping the bed rather than behaving properly. The Windows Event Log may have more details, like what driver actually triggered the crash, which would be extremely useful in determining the solution here.

A few questions:
- Are you using Bitdefender antivirus? If so, uninstall it and see if the problem goes away. It has caused issues with network stack drivers that trigger BSOD's like this, there's a recent thread where I aided another member in resolving a similar issue .
- What brand is the computer?
- Did it ship with Windows 10 on it or is this an upgrade from 7 or 8.x?

Sorry for the late reply, Overkill. I have noticed from time to time, if I haven't been on in a while, loading the internet (Google Chrome) takes a bit like it is asleep.
I have no idea where to view the Windows Event Log?

I am not using Bitdefender, I use Avast paid, Superantispyware paid and the free version of Ccleaner.

My computer is an HP and it was purchased/set up with Windows 10 already installed. My last Dell computer was severely outdated so this is brand new and was purchased likely 3+ years ago now.

Since I wrote this thread yesterday, I have had no further problems, but like I mentioned, this only happens periodically.

Thanks for the replies/help everyone.
cheers3.gif

Classic windows. Keeps tons of people employed and others running to macs.

Frustrating because you are supposed to pay for that swill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv
I am not using Bitdefender, I use Avast paid, Superantispyware paid and the free version of Ccleaner.

I'd take all that crap off and just use Windows' built in AV program. As long as you are relatively careful you won't have issues. It's actually quite good. Maybe keep CCleaner for a once in a while cleanup.

My computer is an HP and it was purchased/set up with Windows 10 already installed. My last Dell computer was severely outdated so this is brand new and was purchased likely 3+ years ago now.

Either use the HP Support Assistant software or head over to HP.com with your model # and update the BIOS and drivers. It could be as simple as an incompatibility with old drivers/BIOS and the latest version of Windows.

What is the error code? Google the error code or go to tenforums dot com and use their logcat application to get a text file of a memory dump and post it. They will sure help me.

I replaced HDD with SSD and since them I an getting often memory management errors. Nobody has been able to help me so far but ran memtest86 and it fixed something. Error frequency has reduced significantly.

Mac drummers, ever heard of pizza wheel of death? I switched to windows after a decade of mac and have never been stress-free.

Last edited:
Yes. That message appeared on my old desktop in July. After two fresh Win10 reinstalls, it didn't clear up. I gave up.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
What is the error code? Google the error code or go to tenforums dot com and use their logcat application to get a text file of a memory dump and post it. They will sure help me.

I replaced HDD with SSD and since them I an getting often memory management errors. Nobody has been able to help me so far but ran memtest86 and it fixed something. Error frequency has reduced significantly.

Mac drummers, ever heard of pizza wheel of death? I switched to windows after a decade of mac and have never been stress-free.

Memtestx86 does not fix anything. It just tests memory. If you got errors you have bad memory or a bad motherboard. It will most likely eventually get worse and worse -that's what happened to me when I had a bad stick of memory - crashes which were every couple of weeks got to be weekly and then it wouldn't run at all.

I've run both Mac and win 10. Both are fine OS's but Tim thinks much too much about his hardware prices.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

Memtestx86 does not fix anything. It just tests memory. If you got errors you have bad memory or a bad motherboard. It will most likely eventually get worse and worse -that's what happened to me when I had a bad stick of memory - crashes which were every couple of weeks got to be weekly and then it wouldn't run at all.

I've run both Mac and win 10. Both are fine OS's but Tim thinks much too much about his hardware prices.

You got to it before I did
lol.gif

Originally Posted by irv

Sorry for the late reply, Overkill. I have noticed from time to time, if I haven't been on in a while, loading the internet (Google Chrome) takes a bit like it is asleep.
I have no idea where to view the Windows Event Log?

No problem. To check the Event Viewer, Click Start and then begin typing "Event Viewer" and it should pop up. Go to "System" and you should be able to find a fatal error in the list that's a more detail account of this error and may give us the name of the driver that caused the crash.

Originally Posted by irv

Generally one doesn't mix and match AV's due to potential compatibility issues. It is possible (not saying it is likely) that SAS and Avast aren't cooperative applications.

Originally Posted by irv

Since I wrote this thread yesterday, I have had no further problems, but like I mentioned, this only happens periodically.

Thanks for the replies/help everyone.
cheers3.gif

As itguy08 noted, depending on the model of computer, using HP Support Assistant or going to the HP website and doing a search for available updates is a good start, particularly since we know this is driver-related and it's quite likely there are updated drivers and BIOS available for this computer from HP. If the computer is in any way part of the HP business desktop line (say a ProDesk or similar) I'd use HP Softpaq download manager to do an update check.

If you need further assistance navigating this part let me know, I can provide more detailed instructions.

Originally Posted by irv

The first thing I'd do is run Malwarebytes' free Anti-Malware program. I wouldn't expect it to find any malware problem since this is probably a driver problem, but you never know.

I've updated the video card driver for a 5-year-old video card and then gotten blue screens from driver errors. The error was repeatable, and going back to the previous version of the driver stopped the error. Then tried a later driver for it in the future and the new driver worked fine. Weird stuff happens sometimes. Nowadays, computers like to auto-update drivers. It often can be better to not let it.

Look at what new programs if any were installed during the time the error started. Maybe one of those messed things up.

For a band-aid fix, try going in power settings and turn it on High Performance instead of "balanced" or "power saving." It's probably not on High Performance at this time. Worth a try!

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by irv

I'd take all that crap off and just use Windows' built in AV program. As long as you are relatively careful you won't have issues. It's actually quite good. Maybe keep CCleaner for a once in a while cleanup.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by irv

Generally one doesn't mix and match AV's due to potential compatibility issues. It is possible (not saying it is likely) that SAS and Avast aren't cooperative applications.

On a side note, I got rid of my Bitdefeder and now run Windows Security Essentials (called Windows Defender in Win10) along with Malwarebytes Premium (full real-time version). My Win7 machine hasn't ran any better than it is right now. Windows SE and Malwarebytes Premium seem to play well with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back