Reuse transmission fluid??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd reuse it if the pan was fully scrubbed on your last pan drop and fill. As long as your QC is good in refiltering the fluid, you won't get any dirt in it. Use clean containers. Double filter it if you have too. $35 in trans fluid isn't exactly cheap. We have lots of members here running around to AAP/AZ/retail stores during clearance/roll back periods trying to save $10. I don't see any issue trying to save $35.

If a few minute particles of "whatever" did happen to go into the next pan fill, wouldn't your filter take it out any ways? What happens when people take their cars to the quick lubes or a dealer for a trans fluid pan drop and filter change? Do you think they scrub out every bit a sludge in that pan? I'm sure many don't. A quick dump, quick wipe and that pan goes right back on, with plenty of wear particles and dirt still in there. Get more use out of the new fluid you just added. You can always change it again later on.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. My plan now is to order a Mopar steel core reusable gasket and reuse the fluid. I have two one gallon jugs that are clean. I can drain the fluid right into the jugs from the drain plug without having to use a pan. Fluid and pan looked good when I changed it a few weeks ago. I appreciate all the input on this topic. I was just torn on the issue. 35-40 dollars in fluid is not the end of the world for me but I could use it for other things. I have taken care of this transmission thus far and hope to keep it going for some time. I know these Chrysler 42RE's can be a little temperamental.

I never reuse but I thought about it and even tried to see how clean I could keep the fluid while draining and transferring to a container for storage. I generally work outside so I had the wind blowing dirt everywhere and various clumps of dirt falling off the truck at every bump. At the end of it I figured it was not worth my time and aggravation.

Yes, I have re used trans fluid when I think I have a leak fixed and didn't, or had to replace a solenoid or wire that broke. Buy a new drain pan, drain it in and pour it back in. Plus 4 isn't cheap. Now if it was dex merc I may dump it cause its cheap.

I have done the filter through a coffee filter trick on more than a few occasions reusing ATF and Gear Fluid for the same situation. Never an issue.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Filter it through a coffee filter or some other medium and re use it. It's been done before.

This^ Had to drop the pan 3 times in 3 days trying to get it to seal. Finally found the pan was bent on one corner. I was installing Mobil1 ATF so it wasn't cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back