SuperTech oil stabilizer vs Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any knowledge about the Walmart SuperTech oil stabilizer? Is it just basically repackaged Lucas or is it inferior?

I have an old Ford IDI oil burner but still runs great and gets okay mpg. I just like to add Lucas or whatever to slow down the oil consumption.

I use the PSD filter (adds 1qt capacity but filters better and easier to source) so at 11qts, I need 2 bottles to get (almost) 20% like the Lucas instructions say.

It would save a few bucks with Super Tech vs Lucas, if it's actually the same exact product inside the bottle.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
There is not really anything inferior to LOS, so...

Yeah yeah, I know there is a lot of hatred here for the product. I'm not trying to ask "should i?". I have used it previously and I'm satisfied with the results it provides.

Even many people who generally dislike it, seem to admit that in old, oil burning diesels, it does in fact reduce oil consumption. And that's all I need.

In an old cast iron 6.9L engine that rolled out burning oil to some degree even when new (so I've read), it's a good place to use it. If it was a 1.3L 4cyl Toyota engine? Maybe not.

Yes a rebuild would be better blahblah but a couple bottles of Lucas is a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild. It's not a show truck. If it runs, gets decent mpg for what it is and burns less oil with Lucas, it's fine by me.

Naturally, I already run HD 15w40 so I can't easily just go to a heavier weight oil (short of gear oil, anyway) like I could if it was a typical gasoline engine that calls for 10w30.

Last edited:
How much oil does it consume? My owners manual says 1qt in 750 miles is normal. Mine uses exactly that amount. I have found that a dirty air filter causes oil usage to skyrocket. Even with that big air filter it gets restricted fast.

Oh and the idi hates rotella oil. The best i have found for cutting consumption is valvoline and traveller 15w40. I'd like to run a sae 30 or sae40 in mine but I can't find it with diesel spec around here.

If you want to see one use oil put in a synthetic 5w40! I did and I thought mine was dying! It drank that oil like it was beer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
How much oil does it consume? My owners manual says 1qt in 750 miles is normal. Mine uses exactly that amount. I have found that a dirty air filter causes oil usage to skyrocket. Even with that big air filter it gets restricted fast.

Oh and the idi hates rotella oil. The best i have found for cutting consumption is valvoline and traveller 15w40. I'd like to run a sae 30 or sae40 in mine but I can't find it with diesel spec around here.

If you want to see one use oil put in a synthetic 5w40! I did and I thought mine was dying! It drank that oil like it was beer.

I don't know the exact consumption rate but its pretty high. Its a lot more than 1qt per 750 miles in any case. A quart every 250-350 miles depending?

It still gets 10 city/14-15hwy with cheap all terrain tires. It got slightly better with the mismatched, but worn out highway treads it had before. Timing is off or it might get a little better mpg, but that has nothing to do with oil consumption.

I first put Rotella before learning these trucks drink it up. I've since tried Delvac, Motorctaft, MaxLife and Walmart Supertech. I can't say the name brands did any better. I'm going back to SuperTech on my next oil change. It's $10/gallon right now.

Pretty positive that Lucas helps. I only put 10% previously but the first time I did, mid OCI when the level was down, the engine got noticeably less noisy once it circulated through the motor. I might add just 10% right now being winter, but not extremely cold. I can always add another quart if I find it at the "add" mark in a few months. My OCI is pretty long, 6 months. But as much oil as I typically replace, and with the bigger filter, its fine really. At least without the Lucas, I replace a lot.

Oh and the air filter (wix) is about a year and a half old. It has, I'd guess 12k on it?

I tried replacing the CDR last year but that didn't help either. I should probably clean it up this coming oil change since that's an important thing to do, I have read.

Honestly it seems like the oil is coming past the CDR and going in the intake, since I find oil in the oil filter housing and the intake screen is always oily. Dunno why it would even on a new CDR.

No way could I get 12k out of my air filter. Check yours and replace it if its dirty. See if that brings consumption down.

After about 4 months my restriction gauge goes into the red.

Are you checking the oil according to the book? Fully warmed up and 15 minutes after shut down? Lots of people say that keeping the oil.on "add" helps too.

I've used Lucas in worn out to slow oil burning and to help increase oil pressure in vehicles with worn out oil pumps. That's the only time I would use it, as a bandaid. But to use it as a regular regiment I don't think it has any value. Just me though.

No way could I get 12k out of my air filter. Check yours and replace it if its dirty. See if that brings consumption down.

After about 4 months my restriction gauge goes into the red.

Are you checking the oil according to the book? Fully warmed up and 15 minutes after shut down? Lots of people say that keeping the oil.on "add" helps too.

My 87 6.9 lacks the restriction gauge so I have nothing to go by.

Yes, I wait 10-15 minutes when its fully warmed up (about 180-185F at idle).

It has gotten below add (!) when I have forgotten to check it (pesky "hot" check requirement!) but it still had a slight amount on the stick. Then it takes a good 2qts (or more? From a gallon jug) to get around mid way in the cross hatch.

I certainly didn't think these air filters had such a short life. But a little research into the subject seems to confirm it.

I dug up a Fram CA3501 on Amazon for $9.11 with free shipping. I had a $5 rewards balance and a $5 gift card balance, so with tax mixed in, it cost me 4 cents.

I'm not a Fram fan but for 4 cents, I can live with it. Even if I find it doesn't need it right this minute, at least I will have a new filter on hand, literally for pennies.

20181229_010857.jpg

I've never used STOS or LOS however, 40-50 years ago, we use products such as STP or Bardahl etc. But, here's the gripe that most BITOGers know about Lucas or possibly other oil stabilizers...If I am understanding this correctly.
smile.gif

In BITOG's own testing, Lucas turns foamy in a controlled environment. And as we all know, our oil pumps can't pump foam...or I should say that foam doesn't lubricate.

Another thing that "those in the know" believe(as I do) is that, oil stabilizers are mostly just a thick oil maybe with some extra additives. And if we need a thicker oil, just put in a thicker oil and spend the money ONCE!

In other words, DON'T spend the money on e.g., a 5W30 OCI and then, spend more money on an oil stabilizer to thicken it up. JUST GET A THICKER OIL and spend the money on your OCI.

Do I understand this correctly?

CB

Originally Posted by Cubey

It still gets 10 city/14-15hwy with cheap all terrain tires. It got slightly better with the mismatched, but worn out highway treads it had before. Timing is off or it might get a little better mpg, but that has nothing to do with oil consumption. .

I think your injection pump is a bit out of time, for sure.

Don't the IDI's lose a degree of timing every 40,000 miles or so?

Honestly it seems like the oil is coming past the CDR and going in the intake, since I find oil in the oil filter housing and the intake screen is always oily. Dunno why it would even on a new CDR.

I have NEVER seen a clean one inside.... intake screen is always very gunked up - - apparently the IDI's always have a lot of blowby?

Might try straight 20W50 or if you can find a non racing 60. Have often heard the Lucas OS is a 60W base oil. Not even sure it has additives. I poured some in my car once and ran it a bit. Pulled dipstick and could see what others have said bubbly foam on dipstick so I haven't tried it since.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Might try straight 20W50 or if you can find a non racing 60. Have often heard the Lucas OS is a 60W base oil. Not even sure it has additives. I poured some in my car once and ran it a bit. Pulled dipstick and could see what others have said bubbly foam on dipstick so I haven't tried it since.

This CarQuest oil seems to be the only 20w50 I can find by searching online that is actually API SN/CF. Walmart's cheaper 20w50 is SN only.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...0-motor-oil-5-quart-cq650-5qt/11704770-p

But then again, being picky about CF spec is probably silly when I'm talking of dumping Lucas in.

I bought a restriction guage and put it on that little nub on the air filter lid. The life of the injectors is only about 100k. After that they start weeping which kills mpg.

I bought the timing tool and have adjusted mine. It was way off. The timing does not effect mpg much. It does make a huge difference in power though.

Before I adjusted mine I could not merge on to a freeway safely. Now in going 60mph when I get to the end of the acceleration ramp.

Originally Posted by Linctex

It still gets 10 city/14-15hwy with cheap all terrain tires. It got slightly better with the mismatched, but worn out highway treads it had before. Timing is off or it might get a little better mpg, but that has nothing to do with oil consumption. .

It was retarded quite a bit from when i got it (14k ago as of right now). While towing an old 27ft travel trailer this summer, I adjusted the timing a couple times, advancing it, and it slightly improved towing power. I've since sold the trailer and I'm back to using my short truck camper. It didn't hurt the mpg but seemed to help with towing. I keep meaning to go to get to somebody to time it properly but haven't.

Originally Posted by Linctex

It was retarded quite a bit from when i got it (14k ago as of right now). While towing an old 27ft travel trailer this summer, I adjusted the timing a couple times, advancing it, and it slightly improved towing power. I've since sold the trailer and I'm back to using my short truck camper. It didn't hurt the mpg but seemed to help with towing. I keep meaning to go to get to somebody to time it properly but haven't.

Time for a road trip. Bring it here! I'll time it.

Time for a road trip. Bring it here! I'll time it.

Over on another forum, lots of people offer free or cheap timing but it's a matter of getting there. I travel the country full time basically in the truck/tiny camper. Since it runs well, it hasn't been a huge priority.

It needs glow plugs (again) and the "olives". Cold weather (lower 30s and below) shink the olives and the glow plugs can't cope. In the 40s? It's fine. Even starting fluid barely got it going this morning. I have manual control glow plugs so I can safely use it. It starts perfectly in warmer weather or when its warmed up, so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back