Lithium Ion Trolling Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this at the outdoor section. Anyone try out a lithium ion trolling motor?

41E67820-70F2-4F8C-B160-A3C35E28C58A.jpeg

It says 40 volt/4 amp hr. This is about 1/3 of the useful energy in a regular size car battery. Depends what you need the motor to do....

It would be interesting to charge it up and see how long it ran at different power settings, say half-throttle vs. full speed.

Just the battery is lithium ion (aka modern).

I was hoping for an accompanying new tech motor; something like "Neodinium Nano-boron Buckball structured armature".

I think I could see a use for this beyond just trolling. Our loading ramp at my lake does not have a dock. We typically unload, pull the boat over to the side and beach it, then park the truck and trailer in the parking lot. This would help with shuttling the boat to the beach. Also, you wouldn't have to lug the 40 lb car battery around. Just another idea.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
It says 40 volt/4 amp hr. This is about 1/3 of the useful energy in a regular size car battery. Depends what you need the motor to do....

A typical car battery is 12V (nominal) at 60 Amp-hours.

This is 40V at 4 Amp-hours.

The 40V rating of tool packs is usually the peak voltage during and just after charging. For comparison, a "12V" battery would be called a 14V battery using that method. A fair comparison would call it a 34V or 36V battery. We'll use 36V for ease of calculation.

So a typical car battery has about 5x the energy storage.

A few additional spare batteries and the unit would be quite a bit lighter (overall) with the same capacity. Otherwise, that small battery is not as capable as a typical 60 pound deep cycle battery.

Lithium batteries have about 5x better power to weight.

160 watt hours per Shakespeare battery.
660 watt hours for a 60 pound deep cycle battery.

Here are some rough numbers. The unit has 32 lbs force of thrust. This is pretty close to 1/4 hp. 0.25 hp x 0.746 = 0.186 kw = 186 watts, slightly less power than two 100 watt light bulbs.

P = IV I=P/V. Let's use 36 V for the unit.

The amperage of the motor would be 186 watts/36 V = 5.1 Amps

Since the battery is rated at 4 amp hrs the max run time at full speed is 4/5.1= .78 hrs = 47 minutes.

If this was a 12 V unit with 32 lbs thrust with a 60 amp hour battery, the amperage would have to be 186 watts/ 12 V = 15.5 amps. 60 amp hr/ 15.5 amps = 3.87 hrs.
The large battery would last almost 4 hours.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back