$20.19 oil change

I usually buy a jug of Super Tech high mileage oil for $16.00 and a tough guard filter for about $6.00 (?) and take them to Jiffy Lube.
They charge me $32.00 labor. I dont do it myself anymore.getting old.
So my cost for a 3 quart change and filter is about $57.00 with tax.
Jiffy Lube sent me an e mail coupon for a conventional oil change for $20.19.
A savings of about $37.00.
The only concern I have is going into a bitter cold Colorado winter without synthetic oil.
Am i just being too paranoid?

Sub zero F, I'd bring them my own oil. If you are above 0-F, I wouldn't worry about it.

$32.00 Labor - Ouch

I think you need to revaluate what Oil your using and who's doing it.
If you can't do it yourself, that's understandable.
cheers3.gif

Winter - use Coupon from Jiffy Lube with their own Synthetic Oil 'as an upgrade'
Summer - use Coupon from Jiffy Lube with Conventional Oil

If you question their workmanship, get some quotes from Indy Mechanics / who would you have do a repair ?

Good problems to have.

Drove up to Dallas to see my Mom, and needed to get her oil changed on 2011 Toyota highlander. Took it to 5 minute oil change. They put in 6.6 quarts of Castrol HM edge full synthetic plus cartridge filter and the price we'll, it was over $85. Way to much but it will be good for a year as she puts less than 2500 miles on it all year.

Originally Posted by marine65
I The only concern I have is going into a bitter cold Colorado winter without synthetic oil.

I doubt either of your vehicles in your signature "require" synthetic oil and both are sold in CO knowing you have "bitter cold winter" there.

Walmart auto center here does and oil and filter change with Castrol Edge for $50. The step down uses Magnatec, as I recall, for $40. I also picked a random Hyundai dealer in CO and the first one I found does oil and filter change for $40. No indication of what oil is used but nowadays it seems like more and more dealers are moving to semi-synthetic as their 'default' oil. It should satisfy most new cars and certainly is more than adequate for older cars.

You need to get acquainted with a small local independent shop. Mine uses my oil and filter, lubes all my zerk fittings, rotates my tires, and checks my tire pressure for $20 cash.

How clean and sharp you look....how far into "dirty territory" you'll go looking for an indie.....knowing locals helps.....here and there dealerships don't appear too bad (but I don't trust them to NOT mess with your car because they're dirtbags).....

It's funny, I don't see kids working on cars anywhere near me.

Maybe a small indie...you show up with oil and filter...you say you'll wait but you'll take a walk....

I mean really, what small shop owner wants to have a car sitting around all day just for an oil change?

Ask at a few places which are small.

I feel like there are better options than the first option presented. I feel over $30 to change oil in anything is gouging. I hope you find a better option. Heck I'd do it for you for lunch if you were closer!

Last time I took my own synthetic oil and filter to a Monroe Brake shop, they charged me $10 or $15 for the oil change labor. You figure they have an oil change special at $19.99 for 5 qts plus filter....then the labor rate they're charging is at most $15. At $30 I'll do it myself. You can reuse a synthetic oil filter for 10K-15K miles. So every 2nd or 3rd oil change could just be unscrewing the pan plug....then refilling.

Originally Posted by marine65
The only concern I have is going into a bitter cold Colorado winter without synthetic oil.
Am i just being too paranoid?

I've used dino in much colder places! You don't have to have syn.
Jiffy lube in my area does a very good job and iirc they use Pennzoil dino.

I would use them for that price. take your own filter , they give you $1 discount for bringing in your own filter
lol.gif

Originally Posted by gman2304
You need to get acquainted with a small local independent shop. Mine uses my oil and filter,.......... for $20 cash.

^^^ this is not uncommon.

Ask around.

If they use a premium conventional, like Pennzoil or Valvoline, I wouldn't worry about it. I think PZ has a -42 pour point for 5W-30. But as others stated, it might not be a bad idea to have it done elsewhere as 'Iffy Lube isn't exactly known for quality control.

My gf's dad brings his own oil and filter (he always uses Castrol Syntec/Edge) to a small gas station near where he lives and they charge him $15.

Go ahead and use the coupon. I will not cast judgement on a franchise because I know the quality depends on the individual tech and store.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Go ahead and use the coupon. I will not cast judgement on a franchise because I know the quality depends on the individual tech and store.

thumbsup2.gif

Honestly...id just go to the [censored] dealer and pay for a full syn lube and run it 10k if you don't want to do the job yourself. Id avoid iffy pube at all costs.

As for the temps...syn or conventional wont matter. 5w = 5w ya know

I start my vehicles every winter in temps below -30f. Ive never had an issue with a 5w regardless of the marketing on the bottle.

Back