bought new car temp plate expiring tommorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I take it the dealer has Power of Attorney or some such to get you your metal plates?

As someone from one of the other 49 states, it's a little vague how things work for you.

I suspect you'll be okay, being a new luxury car buyer, and able to prove you paid your money.

For the record my daughter was pulled over for license plate obstruction in the other post I am trying to be proactive. So yes it is a big deal. My issue isnt the mistake was no response after 3 attempt to contact with only one day left on tag. I dont need another fine or spend a day in traffic court through no fault of my own. Trying to be a good citizen here
smile.gif
Cops seem to be very picky lately. .....Car is financed through Audi financial and I made the first payment through Audi financial. Said he had a problem with getting MSO but car built in Sept although it looks like it was swapped from another dealer and had about 100 miles on it. Dont know if I buy that excuse but lets see what happens.

For each of the last two cars I bought from new car dealers in Florida, the thirty day registrations ran out before I received my permanent tag. It seems a lot of dealers use third party businesses to do the paperwork, for which the dealer in part charges its $695 fee. So if things don't get screwed up by the dealer, the DMV or the third party business, you MAY actually get your registration on time.

Your registration paperwork was submitted same or next-day, and the drag is with the DMV/DOT, not the dealer.

Get mad at them if you're going to get mad about something so small.

I seem to remember we had this issue with the Exploder my Grandpa just purchased. They were a few days from running out before they came in. They took longer to come in than my HAM radio plates. I think those were almost 3 weeks and those are custom made plates.
So I dont what the holdup was but obviously its a more common issue than I thought..
Ive gone into vehicle licensing twice to get standard plates and I had them in I wanna say under 10 minutes. It mightve been as little as 5 minutes and they were in my hands. I think it took longer for my chip card to read than for her to enter it into the computer and pull my plates out of the drawer.

Last edited:
I drove around for a YEAR with the wrong tags on a vehicle, and didn't even know it. The dealership put the old tags on, said I was good to go, would recieve the registration in the mail in about 15 days. Never happened, slipped my mind.

Went to renew the registration and find a completely different plate, unknown to me, assigned to the car??!! Dealership had got a new plate issued and just sat on it in their files, until I called them up wondering what the deal was.

Or how about the time, I bought a motorcycle, had it registered, plated, insured, and again, drove it around for about 9 months. At time of renewal, there was no record that I even owned the thing. Nothing. Nada. The DMV showed my VIN as unowned by anyone, no tag was assigned to it either. They investigated it for hours and finally came back and said there must have been a clerical error somewhere. Had I been pulled over, the officer would have had no choice but to follow the DMV records and slam me hard for driving an unregistered vehicle with attached tag not assigned, and a few other arrestable offences.

That's happened with every car I've bought like clockwork. They always ended up at the receptionist's desk and she either forgot to call me that my plates were in,or had forgotten to mail them to me.

I was confused on the timeline of this (which still isn't clear). I presumed the car was just bought in the past few days or so and on the temporary tags that the dealer put on the car, someone put a wrong date on the "expiration" part. I guess every state is different.... In Ohio, new and used car dealers have paper/cardboard temporary 'plates' that are pre-numbered. They simply fill in the issue date, expiration date, etc and there's a 45-day limit for them. You should get a copy of the title or if financed, you get a "memorandum title" (it's not the real title as the finance company will get that, but you get this for registration purposes, etc, etc). Within that 45 day period, you either go to a state license bureau or order them from the state and receive your metal plates with the yearly registration sticker.

I think the only time the dealer handles the metal plate portion is if you lease. Not 100% certain on that part though....

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Happens everyday. Not an issue anywhere I know of.

Maybe they are lax in Cali, but around here they will impound a car for expired inspection sticker. States need all the revenue they can get and giving tickets on expired tags is an easy way to rake it in.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I was confused on the timeline of this (which still isn't clear). I presumed the car was just bought in the past few days or so and on the temporary tags that the dealer put on the car, someone put a wrong date on the "expiration" part. I guess every state is different.... In Ohio, new and used car dealers have paper/cardboard temporary 'plates' that are pre-numbered. They simply fill in the issue date, expiration date, etc and there's a 45-day limit for them. You should get a copy of the title or if financed, you get a "memorandum title" (it's not the real title as the finance company will get that, but you get this for registration purposes, etc, etc). Within that 45 day period, you either go to a state license bureau or order them from the state and receive your metal plates with the yearly registration sticker.

I think the only time the dealer handles the metal plate portion is if you lease. Not 100% certain on that part though....

The states will have different procedures. In WA state the plates go to the dealer and they install them.

How about swing by the dealer tomorrow and get it updated to the correct date? Doubt the police will issue a ticket if it's a mistake....you have the paperwork....and tell them you're on the way to the dealer to get it fixed.

Or just register it with the state.

Originally Posted by raaizin
Just called me said sending me another 30 day temp.....I will keep you posted

For not returning your calls, they sure got back with you quickly. ~4 mins after posting this thread.

Chalk this up as a learning experience. Be patient with people and you get more bees with honey than you so vinegar.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
For each of the last two cars I bought from new car dealers in Florida, the thirty day registrations ran out before I received my permanent tag. It seems a lot of dealers use third party businesses to do the paperwork, for which the dealer in part charges its $695 fee. So if things don't get screwed up by the dealer, the DMV or the third party business, you MAY actually get your registration on time.

People are quick to blame DMV, but in my two situations it was not DMV's fault. Car purchases were in FL, I was transferring NC plates and the dealer dimwits said no problem. After 25 days I contact DMV and they have no record of receiving the paperwork. I know this because all applications are timestamped and scanned when received. In both cases it took the dealer more than four weeks (not same day or next day) to send out the paperwork. In my two cases, it was clearly the fault of the stealership. Both times the dealer had to send me out a new 30 day tag via FedEx that I received the day before taking a 500 mile trip. Routine stuff that they screw up routinely.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I drove around for a YEAR with the wrong tags on a vehicle, and didn't even know it. The dealership put the old tags on, said I was good to go, would recieve the registration in the mail in about 15 days. Never happened, slipped my mind.

Went to renew the registration and find a completely different plate, unknown to me, assigned to the car??!! Dealership had got a new plate issued and just sat on it in their files, until I called them up wondering what the deal was.

Or how about the time, I bought a motorcycle, had it registered, plated, insured, and again, drove it around for about 9 months. At time of renewal, there was no record that I even owned the thing. Nothing. Nada. The DMV showed my VIN as unowned by anyone, no tag was assigned to it either. They investigated it for hours and finally came back and said there must have been a clerical error somewhere. Had I been pulled over, the officer would have had no choice but to follow the DMV records and slam me hard for driving an unregistered vehicle with attached tag not assigned, and a few other arrestable offences.

Similar situation happened to myself and a few others about 10 years ago back in WV. Anybody who got a ticket that summer (06 or 07) would either pay or attend the hearing and pay, then receive notice after notice that their license was suspended for nonpayment and to REMIT PAYMENT IMMEDIATELY or a bench warrant would be issued.

When you called, the disinterested staff member would nonchalantly tell you, "Oh, someone didn't put a Y in this box. No problem. Just throw the notice away."

This encounter happened to me twice after the initial payment, and a friend three additional times.

I'm sure that employee is still in that role, or retired with a massive pension.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by raaizin
Just called me said sending me another 30 day temp.....I will keep you posted

For not returning your calls, they sure got back with you quickly. ~4 mins after posting this thread.

Chalk this up as a learning experience. Be patient with people and you get more bees with honey than you so vinegar.

Or angrily post on the internet and let it be someone else's problem. Externalization is increasingly common.

This temporary tag stuff is nuts and totally foreign to me. In CT, dealers have a stack of permanent license plates in stock. You buy a car, they take a set of permanent plates off the shelf, and install them on your car for you. Or you can transfer plates from your old car onto your new car. Either way, you drive off the dealer's lot with a set of permanent plates installed and a valid registration good for 2 years. The dealer handles all the paperwork with the DMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back