Why is raw sugar expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
Isn't raw sugar unrefined sugar? This suggests it is cheaper to produce by bypassing a processing step. So why is it more expensive?

Volumes.....it's always cheaper to buy the standard product. Raw sugar sells so little its hardly worth carrying for the retailer.

Originally Posted by Kestas
As a followup, how is raw sugar different from brown sugar?

Grocery store brown sugar is refined sugar with molasses added.

Isn't raw sugar unrefined sugar? This suggests it is cheaper to produce by bypassing a processing step. So why is it more expensive?

Why do you want "raw sugar". It's just as bad for you as refined. It's not like rice or wheat where the raw version have the fiber and minerals still in them.

Yes, what is the difference between raw sugar and light brown sugar where the molasses is added back in?

And as everyone has already pointed out, any product outside of the "normal" is going to cost more, especially when the refining process removes something of value which can be sold elsewhere.

It's not special "organic" stuff if it's cheap. People think things are better if they're more expensive.

Sugar is refined to clean it. Sugar is an agricultural product. It comes from the field with dirt, debris and lots of insects. The best way to clean the undesirable stuff out is to purify it completely.

The stuff we buy as 'Raw Sugar' is just a lighter version of brown sugar with a larger crystal size. It has additional processing steps to make it look "natural", not fewer.

It does have one advantage. The paper packets of 'raw sugar' tend to have more sugar per packet, resulting in less wasted paper for the same sweetness. When someone says that it tastes better, that's what they are experiencing.

BHopkins, thanks for the article. It mentions there are no health benefits to using raw sugar over refined sugar. It also states the raw sugar is slightly less refined.

I ask because I see health nuts go ape over these things. I think people are crazy spending excess amounts of money for no real gain in nutrition.

I also see the same thing with salts. (Shall I start a new topic?) I've analyzed (using energy dispersive spectroscopy) some salts for their mineral content and see no appreciable difference in elemental makeup. Only tiny traces of a few other elements, which are likely overshadowed by these same elements present in our food in much more massive amounts.

It makes my head spin when health nuts start talking about healthy this and healthy that. I've even seen them poo-poo grapefruit, salmon, and other foods because of too much this and too much that in the foods.

BHopkins, thanks for the article. It mentions there are no health benefits to using raw sugar over refined sugar. It also states the raw sugar is slightly less refined.

I ask because I see health nuts go ape over these things. I think people are crazy spending excess amounts of money for no real gain in nutrition.

I also see the same thing with salts. (Shall I start a new topic?) I've analyzed (using energy dispersive spectroscopy) some salts for their mineral content and see no appreciable difference in elemental makeup. Only tiny traces of a few other elements, which are likely overshadowed by these same elements present in our food in much more massive amounts.

It makes my head spin when health nuts start talking about healthy this and healthy that. I've even seen them poo-poo grapefruit, salmon, and other foods because of too much this and too much that in the foods.

One of my past co-workers ate some health foods. One day she mentioned that she only used sea salt, as it was healthier. I mentioned to her that, if my understanding is correct, all salt deposits on earth are sea salt. At one time or another, all salt has come from a sea. She didn't have an answer for that.

I'm all for eating healthy. But I think it takes a little bit of common sense. Several years ago I ran across an article about a study that was conducted by what I believe to be the British equivalent of the FDA. It was a study of the health benefits of organic foods. Their data came from something like 80 studies that had been done by organizations across the world. The conclusion was that there was no health benefit to organic foods. Or if there was, it was so negligible as to be statistically insignificant. But if a family feels better by serving them, then by all means, they should.

Supply and organic/non-GMO certification costs $$$.

C&H sugar is high quality for regular sugar, I buy in bulk from Costco or Whole Foods or the local hippie store for the raw stuff. C&H's brown sugar is the actual stuff with molasses before it gets refined and clarified with bone char, unlike store brands.

Originally Posted by nthach

C&H sugar is high quality for regular sugar, I buy in bulk from Costco or Whole Foods or the local hippie store for the raw stuff. C&H's brown sugar is the actual stuff with molasses before it gets refined and clarified with bone char, unlike store brands.

Does that make it better?

How about the whole milk is bad for you? Don't eat eggs! Eggs will raise your cholesterol. Both have been poo doo ideas shoved at us to make us change how we eat and later proven to be false. So now we are told certain sugar is bad others are better. Ok fine just wait 10 years and this too will be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back