Does gas station matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using 93 octane from Top tier gas stations. I am trying to keep my selection limited but it is pretty hard. Does it matter?

Most gas is pretty good, especially top tier. If price same, I'd go for Chevron Techron or Texaco Techron first, and Shell next.

Even Majors gas can vary depending on refineries in area.

I used to sell Exxon gas that came from a crummy Shell refinery in West Texas, but usually Shell is good these days.

Texas and other states had some serious high octane shortages the last few falls, so I got used to using Sam's club cheap high octane, and it has worked fine.

If it didn't, the first sign would be fluctuating rpm's at idle.

Last edited:
100% of the gasoline sold in my area comes from the local refinery, and it's associated fuel depot.
the difference from station to station is the additives that get mixed in to the tanker at said Depot, per each companies contract.

Last edited:
I often found fuel from the Lima area burned faster. I thought BP made it.

I also have found high detergent fuels tend to burn faster meaning shell, chevron, costco, etc. All claim top tier high detergent and seem to lower fuel economy for some reason. Anyone else experience this?

Originally Posted by Ruturaj
I am using 93 octane from Top tier gas stations. I am trying to keep my selection limited but it is pretty hard. Does it matter?

honestly I think you would be hard pressed to notice a difference between ANY gasoline. Advertising sure has an effect on people's brains....lol. Why are you using 93 octane? Do you need it?

I mix it up depending on price. Most brand name stations gouge badly here, example US gas up the block is 2.60 for super, Exxon the same distance the other way is 3.29. Diesel at US is 2.79, Exxon is 3.49. No way am I spending up to 16$ more for a brand name, Ill put a whole bottle of additive in for half that and still be ahead, even though the car only needs 1/3 per tank.

Originally Posted by 40w8
Most gas is pretty good, especially top tier. If price same, I'd go for Chevron Techron or Texaco Techron first, and Shell next.

Even Majors gas can vary depending on refineries in area.

I used to sell Exxon gas that came from a crummy Shell refinery in West Texas, but usually Shell is good these days.

Texas and other states had some serious high octane shortages the last few falls, so I got used to using Sam's club cheap high octane, and it has worked fine.

If it didn't, the first sign would be fluctuating rpm's at idle.

What town / city in west Texas ?

My 13 GT500 also requires premium fuel. I don't recall seeing many stations around me that aren't on the "top tier" list but some stations sell 93 and some sell 92 octane as premium. I stick to the 93 stations. Citco is very common around me as 7-11 stores sell it, there is a store just a few blocks away so I usually just fill up there.

I have found the gas sold by our local supermarket chain to give better MPG than at a convenience store , close to work . Usually use it in our personal cars , too

Ben using premium E10 in our 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l . Get at least 2 - 3 MPG better . The car does not accumulate too many miles , soe the $$$ difference is not great .

But , I would say most of this is local . Different locations / places get their gas from different sources .

Originally Posted by Audios
I mix it up depending on price. Most brand name stations gouge badly here, example US gas up the block is 2.60 for super, Exxon the same distance the other way is 3.29. Diesel at US is 2.79, Exxon is 3.49. No way am I spending up to 16$ more for a brand name, Ill put a whole bottle of additive in for half that and still be ahead, even though the car only needs 1/3 per tank.

I only pay a few pennies/gal. for Chevron/Texaco over other local non-Top Tier gas stations such as Love's or Maverick. Occasionally, the Chevron station I prefer is actually cheaper than these other stations.

I doubt that I would fill up with Top Tier if it cost me $.60 - $.70/gal. Instead, I'd be adding a bottle of Techron every few fill-ups.

The additives are what really matter. So top tier means quality additives.

Now ifs its old old station with metal tanks from the 1950's then I would avoid. But I think EPA forced replacement of those old tanks years ago.

I often use Shell but to help out the local gas station (B&G Fuels) I will buy fuel from him every few months. Absolutely no problems, but there arn't a lot of distributors in our area. Chances are it's coming from the Shell distributor anyway. Maybe I'll follow the truck back some day.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I am trying to use Costco but not very convenient while traveling and nearest one to me is 25 mins away and not on my day to day route. I will keep using top tier.

Originally Posted by philipp10
honestly I think you would be hard pressed to notice a difference between ANY gasoline. Advertising sure has an effect on people's brains....lol. Why are you using 93 octane? Do you need it?

I am pretty sure I won't. But I thought ECU might.

What I meant by my original question was, every gas station has different amount of additives, does that make difference on how fuel burns, will the ECU will have to adjust every time?

I don't watch any advertises since I do not have a cable connection.

I am using since I need it. I own a Kia Stinger 3.3TT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back